Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone near Huntngton IN. wanting to help a little old lady with a 914 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bdstone914
I have been contacted through Pelican Parts by a 79 year old lady "who wants to drive the car before she dies".
All she needs is a rear taillight housing installed. I sent it to her. The actual problem is dim tail lights. Her mechanic is 88 years old and his shop is getting closed down. She described him as a stubborn red head German who does not listen to anyone.
The issue may just be a bad ground or socket problem.
Would be cool to help he out if anyone in that are a can do so.

Bruce

buck toenges
I am in Ft. Wayne. 20 min away.

Buck
Mikey914
This is awesome. Let us know more as the story developes.
GaroldShaffer
I'm not as close as Buck is, I'm a few hours away, but if I can help with parts (free) or anything else please let me know.
sb914
That's great, I hope someone can make this happen!
bdstone914
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Sep 13 2016, 11:14 AM) *

Buck

That would be great if you could contact her. Her name is Carol. I will PM you her phone and other contact info.

It is probably a half our job. I would have some bulbs. multi meter, some common electrical tools to check it out.
Says she has not driven the car for years. Terr tell on it and got it repaired. In paint for two years.
restore2seater
OK. We really need to get some video or at least some pictures of this when it happens. driving-girl.gif
76-914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 13 2016, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Sep 13 2016, 11:14 AM) *

Buck

That would be great if you could contact her. Her name is Carol. I will PM you her phone and other contact info.

It is probably a half our job. I would have some bulbs. multi meter, some common electrical tools to check it out.
Says she has not driven the car for years. Terr tell on it and got it repaired. In paint for two years.

Back from paint??? idea.gif I'd be looking for a ground problem. beerchug.gif
Mblizzard
I am no where close but I would make the drive to make this happen!
Zimms
If Buck can't do it, I am also 20 minutes away and can do it.
Mikey914
Video if we can.
Let me know If you need any parts I have.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Zimms @ Sep 14 2016, 01:00 AM) *

If Buck can't do it, I am also 20 minutes away and can do it.

Buck can do it but two persons may be better. He had a good point that the car should be check out for basic safety and mechanical issues. He has volunteered to at least take her for a ride in his to whet her appetite for getting hers road worthy.
Two people could better trouble shoot electrical together.
Buck has called me. Please call me at 951 five three six 7 for seven ate.
I will call Carol and let her know the plan. I think she will be blown away.
Stay tuned for updates.........

Bruce
Zimms
I'll call you later today. I am traveling and will be free around 5-6 est.
whitetwinturbo
............such a good thing to do beer3.gif
timothy_nd28
I agree, let me know if you guys need my help, I'm a few hours away.
Whitney Mic
icon_bump.gif

So... what happened?

Did you guys get the car working? Was she able to go for a drive?

Don't leave us hanging

huh.gif

-- Whit
flmont
This IS super cool,.you guys are Great !!
buck toenges
I just talked to Carol. Here is what she told me about the car:

It is a 1975 1.8L car. She bought it from a friend that wanted a 911. It is yellow. She bought it in 1977. She said it has spent most of its life out of rain and snow. She said she has driven it all over the country. It had yellow plaid interior seats but has since been replaced with grey cloth.

She will get back to me about a time to see the car and help her with the light issue.
She was happy to know that there were that many people interested in her and her car. She didn't think she could ever get any help for the 914. I will get the pertinent info for the vin and such.

Buck

championgt1
smilie_pokal.gif
sb914
Nice job buck!
Chris H.
Very cool. I still have a few things in my parts stash so post what's needed.

Great job Buck and everyone involved. This is what the World is about. beerchug.gif
bdstone914
Carol told me she probably had 170,000 miles on the car and the only problems are the dim tail light and a bubble on the paint. She keeps saying how much she loves the car and she would drive it anywhere she could for work. Said when she was in Detroit she could not sleep at night for fear someone would steal the car.
She is not even sure she can still drive it with two artificial knees.
Thanks to Buck for taking the lead. She was very hesitant to have her picture on the internet but getting a picture of her behind the wheel and the smile on her face will be priceless.
I don't think more parts are needed but thanks to all who offered.
Bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.