Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC Track Day Info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
I just wanted to rehash some of the info for our upcoming track event. I'm also posting our tech form again so you know what to expect.

Basic Info:

You must wear long sleeve shirt, long pants, shoes and socks, no shorts or floppies on track.

Snell 1995 or 2000 helmet, auto or motorcycle.

Targa top must be on car unless you have a roll cage or arm restraints.

Windows to be rolled down.

Keep your arms in the car not resting on top of the door.

No passengers will be allowed except instructors.

Instructors can take student to ride during instructors run group.

Remove hub caps.

Remove all loose items from inside of car that can fly.

Bring water. we will be in the middle of the desert.

No open containers of alcohol while the track is hot!

WCC/05

Streets of Willow - Monday April 25, 2005

Tech Check List

Entrants Name _______________________

Run Group: Yellow White Orange Red

Battery - Fimly secured and tray not wobbly, A bungee cord is not firmly secured.

Engine - No gas leaks or major oil leaks, wiring tidy. V8 guys, no coolant leaks.

Wheels - Lug nuts tight, hub caps removed

Tires - Good tread, no bubbles or cuts in side walls.

Wheel Bearings - No excessive play or wobbliness.

Brake Pads - At least 1/3 of pad.

Brake Lines - No leaks.

Brake Lights - Working.

Brake Fluid - Clean.

Seat Belts - No rips or fraying, bolted in securely.

Passenger Compartment - No loose items that can fly around.

Trunks - No loose items that can fly around.

Helmets - SM or SA1995 or 2000 rating.

Pass____ Fail ____ Comments: __________________________

Inspected By:_____________________________
skline
QUOTE (drew365 @ Apr 16 2005, 09:39 AM)
You must wear long sleeve shirt, long pants, shoes and socks, no shorts or floppies on track.

Thats going to Kill Z and Aaron, they live in shorts and flip flops and short sleeved shirts.
machina
that looks like my to do list of things to fix on my car...... huh.gif
Joe Bob
Gotta go buy some freaking pants....that sucks.
McMark
Long sleeves and pants? At least it's not in the middle of the... oh... uh, nevermind.
JeffBowlsby
hub caps removed

Does this include the little 2 inch center caps common to Fuchs/Mahles etc? Or does it just refer to steel-type early VW-style rims with the larger hubcaps?
carreraguy
Good question Jeff - I really doubt those Fuchs caps will "fly" off considering how hard I'll have to pound to remove them!
carreraguy
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 16 2005, 02:14 PM)
Gotta go buy some freaking pants....that sucks.

I'm bringing my long pants that turn into shorts with zippered legs - I knew these would come in handy some day!
carreraguy
Good question Jeff - I really doubt those Fuchs caps will "fly" off considering how hard I'll have to pound to remove them!
drew365
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 16 2005, 04:59 PM)
hub caps removed

Does this include the little 2 inch center caps common to Fuchs/Mahles etc? Or does it just refer to steel-type early VW-style rims with the larger hubcaps?

I had my Fuch center cap fly off on the skid pad. But if you feel they are on tight and you don't mind losing them to the desert you can keep them on. I don't want to start a concourse weenie uprising. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
No dings for Porsche 5 to 5 wheel adapters for late offset wheels?
drew365
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 16 2005, 06:41 PM)
No dings for Porsche 5 to 5 wheel adapters for late offset wheels?

Don't see it on my tech form.

I won't be looking to turn anyone away. I just hope everyone will be adult enough to not try to take a car on the track that shouldn't be there.
drew365
Also: we will be attempting to tech all of the cars Sunday afternoon and evening. That way we won't lose track time Monday doing tech. I will have a spot set up to do tech, you sign the release, I give you a wristband and windshield sticker and you're good to go. So please look for me Sunday at the Inn of Lancaster. I will have a 1/2 keg of Miller MGD as incentive. beerchug.gif
Joe Bob
So if my mini keg, CO2 source and supply line to my helmet is firmly secure..it's fine? cool_shades.gif
drew365
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 16 2005, 07:06 PM)
So if my mini keg, CO2 source and supply line to my helmet is firmly secure..it's fine?   cool_shades.gif

Damn Z, thanks. I know I shouldn't have to say this but there can be no open containers of alcohol at the track while the track is hot. I nearly forgot that one!
Joe Bob
Trust me I know that....just trying for a alittle comic relief.....
drew365
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 16 2005, 07:19 PM)
Trust me I know that....just trying for a alittle comic relief.....

I know that , but you really reminded me I forgot to add that to the commandments.
Allan
Good thing Mike that you have those special things. wink.gif
Joe Bob
Wait a minute....looking in my Prez Clinton approved dictionary....DEFINE open container.....a keg is a closed system....
GWN7
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 16 2005, 07:06 PM)
So if my mini keg, CO2 source and supply line to my helmet is firmly secure..it's fine? cool_shades.gif

Wouldn't that be a pressurised foam extinguishment system? (Thirst) biggrin.gif
carreraguy
QUOTE (drew365 @ Apr 16 2005, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 16 2005, 04:59 PM)
hub caps removed

I had my Fuch center cap fly off on the skid pad. But if you feel they are on tight and you don't mind losing them to the desert you can keep them on. I don't want to start a concourse weenie uprising. biggrin.gif

Yep, you sure don't want the "concours weenies" pushing back!
Toast
Hummm.........maybe I should have checked this list LAST MONTH before I started doing everything at the last minute. dry.gif headbang.gif
Joe Bob
After a few beers, even Nurse Ratshed would look gud.... beerchug.gif
drew365
Bump in case anyone hasn't read this.
carreraguy
Hey Drew - good thing I checked; just discovered a bad helicoil on the right front hub when checking out the "hubcaps". Will have to get that fixed before Friday.
Joe Bob
So, if I have a nomex suit....doan matter what's underneath right... cool_shades.gif

Oh yeah....a 911 cab with a five pint roll bar...can I run with the top down and bunny ears duct taped to my helmet?
drew365
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 17 2005, 06:35 PM)
So, if I have a nomex suit....doan matter what's underneath right... cool_shades.gif

Oh yeah....a 911 cab with a five pint roll bar...can I run with the top down and bunny ears duct taped to my helmet?

The duct tape will have to be OSHA approved and Kosher. But I like that you spelled it duct instead of duck!
Series9
The requirement to have the fiberglass top on the car is irrational. As a competent welder, I can not weld a piece of tubing in front of the factory roll hoop that would be stronger in a roll-over.

I will abide by the rules, but the fiberglass top is essentially vestigial.
VegasRacer
Joe - The rules we are using are the same as what PCA requires.
I'm not making a comment good or bad. That is just what they are.
You can run without your top since you have a full cage.
drew365
Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm just using the rules that the POC uses for running at the Streets. The top will keep you out of the sun, or out of the rain as the case may be.
siverson
Why no passengers? I never quite understood that one? It would be a lot more entertaining for friends that are brought along if they could experience lapping, and not just with an instructor...

confused24.gif

Secondly, I'm -a lot- more comfortable in my car without the top on when wearing a helmet (tall driver), and NASA and PCA-SDR both do NOT require that the top be on for Streets.

-Steve
Joe Bob
PCA Zone 8 rules allow for top off WITH arm restraints....at least they used too... wacko.gif
siverson
> PCA Zone 8 rules allow for top off WITH arm restraints....at least they used too...

Yes, exactly, I do use arm restraints.

-Steve
drew365
I would venture to say that track rules aren't intended to entertain family and friends. We will have almost 40 novices with little or no experience. I don't want them trying to impress anyone, I want them to be safe while experiencing the limits of their car.
If you use arm restraints, then you can run with the top off. I'll amend the rules above.
I think any rules should be for the good of the nearly 80 people that will be on the track, not to appease the personal interests of a few. But, if the majority wants to change some things let me know, though I have to say I don't work well with committees. I think committees suck.
xitspd
QUOTE (drew365 @ Apr 18 2005, 04:52 PM)
I would venture to say that track rules aren't intended to entertain family and friends. We will have almost 40 novices with little or no experience. I don't want them trying to impress anyone, I want them to be safe while experiencing the limits of their car.
If you use arm restraints, then you can run with the top off. I'll amend the rules above.
I think any rules should be for the good of the nearly 80 people that will be on the track, not to appease the personal interests of a few. But, if the majority wants to change some things let me know, though I have to say I don't work well with committees. I think committees suck.

agree.gif
jimtab
Just go with the poc rules, they work, and after about 20 minutes with no top in the sun you'll have volunteers to put tops on I bet.....
siverson
> I think any rules should be for the good of the nearly 80 people that will be on the track, not to appease the personal interests of a few. But, if the majority wants to change some things let me know, though I have to say I don't work well with committees. I think committees suck.

I agree and understand. Thanks for helping organize this.

-Steve

Reserve your Streamload/914 t-shirts today!
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=29032
sean_v8_914
how do we know what run group we are in? ...or if we will fly solo or paired w/ an instructor? should I have gotten something in the mail?
skline
I really dont think the tops will be a problem, its going to rain and most people wont want to get wet anyway. biggrin.gif
dan10101
Here's what Accuweather.com shows. But some rain possible on Sunday Night and wind will be moving a bit.

Camarillo

Friday, Apr 22
Low clouds giving way to sunshine. Winds from the W at 12 mph. High: 72° F RealFeel: 68° F
Friday Night: Mainly clear. Winds from the W at 11 mph. Low: 49° F RealFeel: 44° F

Saturday, Apr 23
A blend of sun and clouds. Winds from the W at 14 mph. High: 66° F RealFeel®: 62° F
Saturday Night: Partly cloudy with a shower possible late. Winds from the WNW at 12 mph. Low: 53° F RealFeel: 47° F

Sunday, Apr 24
Plenty of clouds. Winds from the N at 8 mph. High: 66° F RealFeel: 67° F
Sunday Night: Considerable clouds with a chance of rain. Winds from the W at 3 mph.

Lancaster

Sunday, Apr 24
Mostly cloudy. Winds from the N at 8 mph. High: 78° F RealFeel: 78° F
Sunday Night: Cloudy with rain possible. Winds from the W at 7 mph. Low: 38° F RealFeel: 33° F

Monday, Apr 25
Cloudy. Winds from the WNW at 19 mph. High: 70° F RealFeel: 64° F
Monday Night: Mostly cloudy and cold. Winds from the W at 12 mph.

Sort of off topic... I have a list of attendees with SOME of the pictures that I could find on the board. (maybe 1/3 to 1/2). I know this is a bit late and kinda wanted to get a feel if anyone was interested in moving forward with completing this. RIght now it's in a spreadsheet. Just a thought, I just have a hard time placing names with faces.

Dan
VegasRacer
Great idea on the composite photo album of the peeps who are gonna be at the WCC. Adding a picture of their 914 would be nice too. I know I often find it easier to remember people by what they drive.

Tell us who you have and who you are missing.

Back on the original topic - I have been racing at Willow over a dozen times and the only 2 weather options I ever saw were hot and windy or cold and windy, never any rain.
Toast
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Apr 19 2005, 12:18 AM)
Sort of off topic... I have a list of attendees with SOME of the pictures that I could find on the board. (maybe 1/3 to 1/2). I know this is a bit late and kinda wanted to get a feel if anyone was interested in moving forward with completing this. RIght now it's in a spreadsheet. Just a thought, I just have a hard time placing names with faces.

Dan

Ask Mike "Z" for a pic of me that he is "getting a feel for". dry.gif
Hint: he uses that pic frequently in his avatar changes. laugh.gif
drew365
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Apr 18 2005, 07:55 PM)
how do we know what run group we are in? ...or if we will fly solo or paired w/ an instructor? should I have gotten something in the mail?

Sunday, when you hand me your completed tech sheet, I will give out wristbands and stickers for the windshild that shows the run group. Unfortunately, the participant list is still "fluid", so I'll probably be making changes right up till that time.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Toast @ Apr 19 2005, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Apr 19 2005, 12:18 AM)
Sort of off topic... I have a list of attendees with SOME of the pictures that I could find on the board.  (maybe 1/3 to 1/2).   I know this is a bit late and kinda wanted to get a feel if anyone was interested in moving forward with completing this.  RIght now it's in a spreadsheet.  Just a thought, I just have a hard time placing names with faces.  

Dan

Ask Mike "Z" for a pic of me that he is "getting a feel for". dry.gif
Hint: he uses that pic frequently in his avatar changes. laugh.gif

Toast getting frisked...please...NO ONE GET A WOODY.... screwy.gif

Joe Bob
Miles' co-pilot.....

jimtab
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 19 2005, 06:59 AM)
Miles' co-pilot.....

Ya know Z, that's why you're like a God to me..... happy11.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (jimtab @ Apr 19 2005, 07:01 AM)
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 19 2005, 06:59 AM)
Miles' co-pilot.....

Ya know Z, that's why you're like a God to me..... happy11.gif

Thanks....sorry about the lamb...the goat was busy, he's visiting A-ron.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.