Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil spitting from oil tank- normal on a /6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I built a 2.7 and I originally was running it on a test stand. I used an old 911 oil tank I had. Everything ran fine and didn't seem to be an issue.

I now have the engine in my car and I am planning on driving it soon. After the initial break in on the test stand, I drained the oil. Once installed I filled it with 10 quarts. I had a small issue which required that I drain the oil. Fixed the issue then filled it up again. I clearly put in too much oil. After idling for about 5 minutes, I saw a slight bit of oil in the tail pipe. Drained the oil again- put 5 quarts in. Still getting blue smoke however I assumed that is just the old oil in the exhaust burning off.

I tried to check the oil when the engine was running and hot, when I take the oil cap off, I can see oil gurgling in the filler neck and it spits out a fair amount of oil.

I am new to /6 engines however this clearly doesn't seem right. Could I still have too much oil, is this normal or could there be something else going on?
tornik550
Also- I am using a Patrick racing oil tank.
mb911
I think you just have too much total in.. Did you drain the sump of the engine before putting in the 10 qts??

My tanks hold about 10 qts but I am not sure if pms does.
tornik550
I also think I just simply have too much oil. Not exactly sure where I went wrong however I am just going to drain it and start over.
shoguneagle
To be accurate you should drain the entire tank including the sump area in the bottom of the engine (hold somewhere around a quart). Measure out and use the oil (if clean, new, etc) and fill the tank to where it is somewhat near the required amount per engine and tank. Make sure you are somewhat near the requirements and start the engine, warm up to normal operating temperatures, and take a reading. When filling up, try to get the volume near to where it reads on the dipstick.

Sump area referred above means the bottom of the engine which has a drain plug.
From what you describe it sounds like you still have too much oil in engine including sump area and various parts. If it appears to be serviced with the correct amount of oil then run it at idle to see if the blue/black smoke clears. Keep tabs on the oil (5 quarts does it seem to be enough for these engines if you just filled the second time to that level). What is the capacity of the Patrick tank?

You have to get the oil out of what does look like a saturated engine. Make sure it is serviced properly, the oil system is working, and everything looks ok. I believe with oil coming out of the tailpipe you are saturated. I would try to clean as much out by turning engine over without firing several times; minimum vapor if any, start and run including watching the oil level.

Is your breather system installed correctly?
Have you done a detailed check?
Motored to clear as much oil as possible?
Is the engine appear to have run correctly on the break-in and subsequent runs?

The engine oil spitting out the filler does have a characteristic of oversee icing, but could mean something else. Check everything out before trying to motor/start-running.

I had a similar situation which was over servicing and had to run it for several minutes (30-45 minutes after checking everything, motor to oil pressure/blow-out, start/running). It was very rough during that time and eventually smoothed into a nice idle (3.2 Sixer)

Hope this helps.
tornik550
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Sep 13 2016, 08:13 PM) *

To be accurate you should drain the entire tank including the sump area in the bottom of the engine (hold somewhere around a quart). Measure out and use the oil (if clean, new, etc) and fill the tank to where it is somewhat near the required amount per engine and tank. Make sure you are somewhat near the requirements and start the engine, warm up to normal operating temperatures, and take a reading. When filling up, try to get the volume near to where it reads on the dipstick.

From what you describe it sounds like you still have too much oil in engine including sump area and various parts. If it appears to be serviced with the correct amount of oil then run it at idle to see if the blue/black smoke clears. Keep tabs on the oil (5 quarts does it seem to be enough for these engines if you just filled the second time to that level). What is the capacity of the Patrick tank?

You have to get the oil out of what does look like a saturated engine. Make sure it is serviced properly, the oil system is working, and everything looks ok. I believe with oil coming out of the tailpipe you are saturated. I would try to clean as much out by turning engine over without firing several times; minimum vapor if any, start and run including watching the oil level.

The engine oil spitting out the filler does have a characteristic of oversee icing, but could mean something else. Check everything out before trying to motor/start-running.

I had a similar situation which was over servicing and had to run it for several minutes (30-45 minutes after checking everything, motor to oil pressure/blow-out, start/running). It was very rough during that time and eventually smoothed into a nice idle (3.2 Sixer)

Hope this helps.

Did I read that correctly that the bottom of the engine is only supposed to have about 1qt when drained!!!!!! If that is correct the omg I definitely had too much oil headbang.gif
wndsnd
I start with 9 quarts. Start engine and wait until oil temp gets up to about 180. Check oil with engine running, and add to middle of dipstick if necessary. The oil expands alot when it is getting up to temp. If you measure before then, you will put too much in. BTDT.

wndsnd
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 13 2016, 08:37 PM) *

I start with 9 quarts. Start engine and wait until oil temp gets up to about 180. Check oil with engine running, and add to middle of dipstick if necessary. The oil expands alot when it is getting up to temp. If you measure before then, you will put too much in. BTDT.

Also when you oil change, Drain tank and engine and replace filter. When I do that, I start with the nine quarts. You will be surprised how much will stay in tank if you do not break the cooler side line and let tank drain.
mb911
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Sep 13 2016, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Sep 13 2016, 08:13 PM) *

Hope this helps.

Did I read that correctly that the bottom of the engine is only supposed to have about 1qt when drained!!!!!! If that is correct the omg I definitely had too much oil headbang.gif

Depends on how long engine has been sitting. I had a friend hydolock his engine as it say for years without starting.. All the oil drained from the tank into the case.. And then past the rings.. 13plus qts in the engine..
mepstein
Remember, oil level is checked on a warm, running engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.