Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Markers? Yes or no?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
N_Jay
Wondering what people think about getting rid of the side markers when re(sort-of)storing a 914?

Yes, to make it cleaner?
Yes, to get rid of holes for water and rust reasons?
No, because it is not original to the car?
No, because it is less safe?

Any other ideas? Better looking side markers?
Flat ones like a 924? Small ones like a 90's VW/Audi?

Thoughts???
sb914
It depends on what your going to do with your car.if you plan on keeping stock or making it your own.I personally don't like the warts. Here's mine without.Click to view attachment
AZ914
Agree with SB914. I shaved mine when last working on the fenders. I like the clean look.

However, if you have an all original US-SPEC car (they were not on the Euro models), and are restoring for investment purposes, I guess I'd leave them.
iwanta914-6
I prefer without, to hell with US-Spec originality!
pete000
They really look bad on M471 fender flares!!!
jor
I like them in a cheeky, 70s-styling way. Big round dots. Cindy Crawford's beauty mark.
luskesq
They are there for safety/visibility reasons. I wired mine so they blink when turn signal is activated. I had a euro version where the side markers were much lower and more to the front that was quite acceptable.

Keith
era vulgaris
I love them and would only remove them from a car with fender flares. On a narrow bodied car, I think it looks naked without them.

Also, probably people who lived through the 70's like them less than those of us who didn't. I think all that tacky 70's style is really cool!
gcrotvik
I don't really care for them. I'm leaving them on my 74 concours restore (for obvious reasons).
Rand
Every time this topic comes up, the results are the same. The majority prefer the clean look without the warts (myself included). Some like them for originality (although it was a US only thing). Some replace the warts with more modern lower-profile markers (and often move them back behind the wheel) as seen below.

Bottom line is, it's purely a matter of personal preference. You should do what you like best on your car.

IPB Image
Toast
Without definitely. They look like zits that I really want to go away.
Krieger
Shave it! welder.gif
veekry9
Wartlamps,skintags.
A few other European autos were quick to solve the new mandates in the '70s the same way.
They didn't want to,but were forced on short notice to comply with new visibility legislation.
They used off the shelf aircraft or marine lenses,to expedite,without incurring production costs.
Easily replaced with a modern,flush-fitting leds.
The Cayman has a nice design that might suit placing near the front lense.

Click to view attachment
Looks nice,low profile.

Click to view attachment
Something like this might appeal,the lenses and bases in molded acrylic/polyurethane as a pair in the mold.
Smooth,flush,mod,waterproof,bulbless,unobtrusive.
smile.gif

/
This is the resin for such custom,or 'factory emulating' marker and turn signal lamps.
http://www.hapcoweb.com/ultraclear.htm
A mold with optical surface smoothness is the next step,once a design has been decided.
A <6-8 RA polish and plating of a P20 block http://www.hudsontoolsteel.com/technical-data/steelP0
with heaters and coolant lines installed,a vacuum pump,then production can begin.
smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Flush,or maybe a 2mm proud roundel led to 'mimic' the aftermarket lamps installed at the factory.
And yes,the rules are that they must be as high as the wheel height.
huh.gif
/
struckn
Mine are gone but the wiring and connectors remain out of sight tucked behind the fenders should the need occur to put them back on.

I also have some cheap reflectors that I glued earth magnets on the back so if for any reson I need reflectors at night I can slip them on the fenders.
boxstr
They look like a big orange pimple. Squeeze them off.
Craig at CAMP
Larmo63
They weren't the best design Porsche ever came up with. If I were repainting a car, I'd leave them off.

On a stock car, they are fine. If you use anything else, it will look like shit and be wrong.

I like the idea of some sort of side markers behind the wheel wells (between the doors and wheels) if they are appropriately Euro looking and tasteful.

My $.02.
N_Jay
QUOTE(luskesq @ Sep 14 2016, 04:16 PM) *

They are there for safety/visibility reasons. I wired mine so they blink when turn signal is activated. I had a euro version where the side markers were much lower and more to the front that was quite acceptable.

Keith

How much difference was there?

I thought euro did not have any.
N_Jay
Well, I am not overly into "originality. I have neither the money nor the patience to try to restore for "value".
PanelBilly
Don't like them
JmuRiz
Don't like them either, got rid of them when I had the car painted.
Coondog
Before
Click to view attachment

Removal
Click to view attachment

After...........

Click to view attachment

Any questions refer to After......... biggrin.gif
Porschef
I'm with Jor and Mr. Vulgaris (sorry, forgot your name)... Yeah, it's just me but after so many years of holding these cars in a pretty poor light, (since jr. high school) I actually really embrace all the quirky 70's aspects of them, warts included. I have no interest in making any attempt to change the originality aspect of what was designed back then, ideal or not. They are what they are.

I really enjoy being asked WTF.gif is that thing?...so many folks haven't a clue. Probably 15-1 as far as knowing. Yeah, and here on Long Island, there's quite a few P car drivers that also do not recognize the most fun, affordable model of the marque ever made.

But again, that's just me... smile.gif
Johny Blackstain
They're ugly- why they're referred to as warts. Unless you want it all original shave them off. I'd like to remove them from my creamsicle, but of course that's a no no.
Big Len
QUOTE(Porschef @ Sep 14 2016, 08:44 PM) *

I'm with Jor and Mr. Vulgaris (sorry, forgot your name)... Yeah, it's just me but after so many years of holding these car's in a pretty poor light, (since jr. high school) I actually really embrace all the quirky 70's aspects of them, warts included. I have no interest in making any attempt to change the originality aspect of what was designed back then, ideal or not. They are what they are.

I really enjoy being asked WTF.gif is that thing?...so many folks haven't a clue. Probably 15-1 as far as knowing. Yeah, and here on Long Island, there's quite a few P car drivers that also do not recognize the most fun, affordable model of the marque ever made.

But again, that's just me... smile.gif

agree.gif

Of all the things on these cars, I couldn't give a rat's ass either way.
dlkawashima
I agree with most ... if you're trying to restore back to factory original, keep 'em. Otherwise, lop off those ugly warts. They've always seemed like an after thought anyway.

Click to view attachment
veekry9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PW62rWa1sI

Well,one could try out an illuminated graphic wrap,personalized,naturally.
A kind of Bladerunner,or Tron effect,or a simple colored stripe.
biggrin.gif
So Mod.

http://lumastrike.com/
https://www.google.ca/search?q=tron&esp...NUb8UHcYIqqM%3A

/
flmont
Yeah,..I like em,..part of the classic look of 70's sports car,...for me !
Coondog
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Sep 14 2016, 06:40 PM) *

I agree with most ... if you're trying to restore back to factory original, keep 'em. Otherwise, lop off those ugly warts. They've always seemed like an after thought anyway.

Click to view attachment

Now I want to paint mine blue........... beautiful looking 914 sir.
RickS
QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 14 2016, 02:21 PM) *

Every time this topic comes up, the results are the same. The majority prefer the clean look without the warts (myself included). Some like them for originality (although it was a US only thing). Some replace the warts with more modern lower-profile markers (and often move them back behind the wheel) as seen below.

Bottom line is, it's purely a matter of personal preference. You should do what you like best on your car.

IPB Image

+1. The whole topic has been beaten to death.
mbseto
I don't like the look of them, but I plan to use mine as a DD and am conscious of driving a small car among mostly SUVs and PUs. I am not going to do anything to make my car LESS visible. My car will be mostly converted to LED lighting, so I am thinking of some low profile LED option.
N_Jay
QUOTE(mbseto @ Sep 15 2016, 09:50 AM) *

I don't like the look of them, but I plan to use mine as a DD and am conscious of driving a small car among mostly SUVs and PUs. I am not going to do anything to make my car LESS visible. My car will be mostly converted to LED lighting, so I am thinking of some low profile LED option.

I wonder how hard it would be to get a 924 light mounted in the same spot?
Garland
I left mine for US spec, but I took the lens and shaved it down to about half of its depth for less of a wart! Look
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.