Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle body
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
Wondering how I can find out if my throttle body shaft is worn? After deceleration down to an idle it has a tendency to stick at a higher rpm. Is it time for a rebuild even if I can?
Could it be something else?

Thank you kind sirs!!!
dlee6204
It could simply be dirty and need cleaning. Could also be a weak return spring.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Sep 14 2016, 05:47 PM) *

It could simply be dirty and need cleaning. Could also be a weak return spring.

I think you could be right about being dirty if that would in fact cause this. Return spring is new.
I think I might take it off this weekend and at least access the butterfly or shaft for wear.
Rob-O
is this with or without the accelerator pedal connected?
Krieger
What do you mean when you say it sticks at high rpm? The throttle plate stays open and is not closing after taking your foot off the pedal or after lifting off the throttle the RPMs stay high?
PancakePorsche
Want a real nice throttle feel ? Have the body bronze bushed and lube with tri-flow spray. Night and day difference. Don't even mess with a worn T.B.

I used bushings I found at a true Value hardware store and machined to fit.
2 hours and $10.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 14 2016, 07:24 PM) *

Yes.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 14 2016, 07:53 PM) *

What do you mean when you say it sticks at high rpm? The throttle plate stays open and is not closing after taking your foot off the pedal or after lifting off the throttle the RPMs stay high?

Sorry, worded wrong. When it comes back down to an idle the idle is high until I blip the pedal then it settles to a normal idle. Before I blip the throttle it runs at 2,000 rpm.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 14 2016, 07:53 PM) *

Yes.
Krieger
So IF the throttle plate is closed and it idles too high you might have a problem with your distributor retarding the timing.
andreic
Well, I'd like to find out the answer to this myself. I have the same exact problem: normally it'll idle at 1800-1900 RPM. But if I try to close back the throttle by hand by applying hard pressure, or if I hold the car in gear and don't press the clutch as I come to a stop until the RPM goes down to 900, it'll stay at 900.

I tried three different throttle bodies for this, and the problem is exactly the same. I started to suspect it is in the distributor -- I think sometimes it pulls back the timing (with the vacuum from the retard portion of the throttle body), and sometimes maybe it gets stuck and does not retard it. But I don't know how to check that this is really the case.
Mikey914
More than likely just dirty, I know they can be rebuilt, but may be easier (faster) to buy a "new" one. The other issue can be tension on the throttle cable. The pedals can start to come apart at the hinge over time and change the geometry so that it sits of ft the side more. This can make the return job of the spring harder so it will not return "as fast" if it can at all. Many just add a larger spring back in the engine compartment, but if this is your case it's only a matter of time before it will fail.
Rob-O
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Sep 15 2016, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 14 2016, 07:24 PM) *

Yes.

Not a whole lot of information in your reply. Let's start again. So you've disconnected the throttle cable from the throttle body and have actuated the TB by hand and this problem is still there?

Just trying to help by being methodical in the approach to solving the issue. And thought I'd start at the accelerator cable. If the TB is sticky when the throttle cable is disconnected, you'll feel it when you actuate it by hand. If it opens and closes cleanly then it's in vacuum somewhere.
BeemerSteve
[quote name='Rob-O' date='Sep 15 2016, 10:06 AM' post='2398761']
[quote name='BeemerSteve' post='2398676' date='Sep 15 2016, 05:46 AM']
[quote name='Rob-O' post='2398514' date='Sep 14 2016, 07:24 PM']
[/quote]
Yes.
[/quote]

Not a whole lot of information in your reply. Let's start again. So you've disconnected the throttle cable from the throttle body and have actuated the TB by hand and this problem is still there?

Just trying to help by being methodical in the approach to solving the issue. And thought I'd start at the accelerator cable. If the TB is sticky when the throttle cable is disconnected, you'll feel it when you actuate it by hand. If it opens and closes cleanly then it's in vacuum somewhere.
[/quote
Thanks....I will check that this evening and report ]
nihil44

If considering a TB rebuild, refer to this post

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;hl=TB+samba
Rob-O
I had my TB done by Phil, looked just like those pictures (I started my own thread about it sometime afterwards).

TB is beautiful, but it was $300 and some change for the rebuild.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.