Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cpavlenko
what type gaskets for 1971 1.7, I've heard there tricky to get them in right. Also what type of gasket sealer is recommended?
jcd914
I have always used gasgacinch to stick the cork gasket to the valve cover.
After the gasgacinch dries, I smear a thin coating of swepco 101 moly grease on the head side of the gasket. Then the gasket does not stick to the head and the cover can be shifted around to make sure it is seated. I often reused the old gaskets several times this way.

Jim
914Sixer
Get some of 914Rubber high temp reusable gaskets and be done.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 14 2016, 05:24 PM) *

Get some of 914Rubber high temp reusable gaskets and be done.

what do u use to hold them in place on the valve cover?
Mikey914
The cork are cheap and stick well. If you use the silicone, cleaned and decrease, if you want a small amount of silicone to glue in place.
Mark
cpavlenko
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 14 2016, 06:54 PM) *

The cork are cheap and stick well. If you use the silicone, cleaned and decrease, if you want a small amount of silicone to glue in place.
Mark

Thanks for the info.
euro911
I recommend the thicker cork gaskets that Mark (914 Rubber) makes.

I just smear a bit of hi-temp grease on both sides of the gaskets. The grease helps to keep them in place, as well as keeping oil from seeping through.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 14 2016, 07:40 PM) *

I just smear a bit of hi-temp grease on both sides of the gaskets. The grease helps to keep them in place, as well as keeping oil from seeping through.

Hi Mark, hows things going at Payson. Thanks for the info. One day I'll take a trip to your neck of the woods. PM me your phone# and address. I'm still learning a lot on the 914. I now know how to adjust the valves correctly. Live and learn the hard way, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Just a PITA for a 62 yr old guy under that teener. Hope to here from you.
euro911
QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Sep 14 2016, 08:03 PM) *

Hi Mark, hows things going at Payson. Thanks for the info. One day I'll take a trip to your neck of the woods. PM me your phone# and address. I'm still learning a lot on the 914. I now know how to adjust the valves correctly. Live and learn the hard way, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Just a PITA for a 62 yr old guy under that teener. Hope to here from you.
I know the feeling (62 myself) ... but look at the bright side - Elliot is older poke.gif

Having a lift is a real plus for working on these cars, even one of the smaller mid-rise lifts. In fact, a mid-rise is also great for changing tires, doing brakes & suspension work cool_shades.gif (I'll have to buy another 4-post for tha AZ home - sold mine to my old shop's landlord).

I'm in CA right now, have a good-sized list of 'honey-doos' to complete. I'm continually adding to the list of stuff I need to take to AZ + staging it right now. I also have to source a new control board for my furnace before going back ... I think it's gonna be late fall or winter by then dry.gif

I'll PM you the pertinent info and let you know when I plan to be in AZ again.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 14 2016, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Sep 14 2016, 08:03 PM) *

I know the feeling (62 myself) ... but look at the bright side - Elliot is older poke.gif

Having a lift is a real plus for working on these cars, even one of the smaller mid-rise lifts. In fact, a mid-rise is also great for changing tires, doing brakes & suspension work cool_shades.gif (I'll have to buy another 4-post for tha AZ home - sold mine to my old shop's landlord).

I'm in CA right now, have a good-sized list of 'honey-doos' to complete. I'm continually adding to the list of stuff I need to take to AZ + staging it right now. I also have to source a new control board for my furnace before going back ... I think it's gonna be late fall or winter by then dry.gif

I'll PM you the pertinent info and let you know when I plan to be in AZ again.

Sounds good, if u need any help, let me know. Take care.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 14 2016, 10:40 PM) *

agree.gif

I used to get small leaks until I started using 914Rubber's thicker gaskets! Problem solved!
Frankvw
I can speak from my experience in the VW world (Type1, but also Type4 engines) that I never used any adhesive, sealant or anything like that when installing the cork valvecover gaskets.
When the snapped on coverholder does not have enough tension to keep the cover firm in its spot, it can leak and if the valve cover is warped same thing. If the valvecover is straight and there is enough pressure to hold the cover there should be no need for any product to add.
I know there is a difference in cork-gasket quality, the Original VW ones are really good, so maybe poor quality gaskets can change things to use....
VaccaRabite
In my experience, if you use a LITTLE smear of RTV between the gasket and the valve cover, nothing is needed between the gasket and the head.

Also, the gaskets will last years this way without leaking, even after opening the covers up for regular valve adjustments.

Zach
Mikey914
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Sep 15 2016, 02:07 AM) *

I can speak from my experience in the VW world (Type1, but also Type4 engines) that I never used any adhesive, sealant or anything like that when installing the cork valvecover gaskets.
When the snapped on coverholder does not have enough tension to keep the cover firm in its spot, it can leak and if the valve cover is warped same thing. If the valvecover is straight and there is enough pressure to hold the cover there should be no need for any product to add.
I know there is a difference in cork-gasket quality, the Original VW ones are really good, so maybe poor quality gaskets can change things to use....

This could be the real issue. I know that there are other valve cover gaskets that sell at about what my raw material cost is for these. You can make stuff in China, but the material cost will not have much variation, unless you make it cheaper somehow??? It's the only way they could sell at the prices they do and have any margin.

Oh and by the way we did make our sealing surface slightly wider.
Elliot Cannon
"Elliot is older". And smarter, better looking, faster driver, etc. etc. av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
Read this. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_covers.htm
euro911
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 15 2016, 11:59 AM) *
"Elliot is older". And smarter, better looking, faster driver, etc. etc. av-943.gif
Choo gottit, mang ... except for the 'faster driver' part laugh.gif
rhodyguy
I'd be hard pressed to hack up a set of 2.0 tin to provide those vent tubes. Or any set for that matter. Note the carb intake. The cinch-a-gasket works well on the stock cover side. Only! Install the cover with the VW symbol upside down, iirc.
cpavlenko
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 15 2016, 01:40 PM) *

I'd be hard pressed to hack up a set of 2.0 tin to provide those vent tubes. Or any set for that matter. Note the carb intake. The cinch-a-gasket works well on the stock cover side. Only! Install the cover with the VW symbol upside down, iirc.

Y upside down?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 15 2016, 01:40 PM) *

Did you miss the point of the article? biggrin.gif You know, valve cover gaskets?
914_teener
Wait did somebody mention Elliot and silicone........??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.