Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel and tire size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
N_Jay
What size wheels and tires have people found to work well with non flared fenders?

I currently have 15 inch Cookie Cutters with 205/60-15 tires that need to be replaced due to age.

Do I just re-shoe, or do I start shopping for a different set of wheels?
Coondog
Wheels are a personal choice, if your running 205s then stay with what works...
Mueller
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Sep 14 2016, 08:27 PM) *

What size wheels and tires have people found to work well with non flared fenders?

I currently have 15 inch Cookie Cutters with 205/60-15 tires that need to be replaced due to age.

Do I just re-shoe, or do I start shopping for a different set of wheels?

15" X ? , pretty important info missing smile.gif

If on bone stock fenders you might have 6's since 7's usually don't clear with the 23mm offset.

Plenty of decent 15" tires still available, check out tirerack.com

If you like the wheels keep them, if you have money to throw away go shopping!
mepstein
205x60 work very well on 6" cookies.
N_Jay
I an fairly sure they are 15x6.

If I recall, I got them from a guy who tried them on a very early 911 and found he needed to go back to 15x5.5.

Has anyone tried a tire wider the 205 on stock fenders?

Jett
I just bought a set, but was going for a more stock look. The thread was interesting and spoke to the speedometer issues when changing tire dimension.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=293003&hl=
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Sep 15 2016, 01:07 PM) *

I an fairly sure they are 15x6.

If I recall, I got them from a guy who tried them on a very early 911 and found he needed to go back to 15x5.5.

Has anyone tried a tire wider the 205 on stock fenders?

ive had 4 different set of wheels on my car since I've owned it.

Right now I have 205/55-16 (16x6 no problem, 16x7 with the 205/55 rubbed-)
some research on my 16" wheels shows the 205/55 are 8.2" wide tread, 195/55 are 7.7 and would be a better option for me, also they are a half inch less in diameter at 24.4", the 205/55 are 24.9" and my speedo is off-
SO with a bit more stretching of the rear fenders(already pulled out 1/2") I would have decent clearance - really on the 7" wide if I want to keep them I should go with 195/55 for the 2 reasons mentioned above- OR I can keep the 205/55 on my 6" wide rims and not do any more work to the fenders- every car is different. in the end due to the slower RPMS effecting cooling and speedo im going to go to the 195/55 on the 7" wide rims in rear, -

I had 15" empi but back set was different and I could not go bigger than 195-( these were 4 lug , I now have 5 lug)

I also had 14" fuchs from a 914/6 and I believe I put 195's and were a taller side wall due to smaller rims. -

N_Jay
So it sounds like well centered 205s are about as wide as safe.

From what I have read 205s run fine on 6 inch wheel, but 7 is a little better.

I would love to go up to 16, but will have to wait till I find a decent set cheap enough.

I just hate buying a set of 15" tires and then finding my 16" wheels the next week.

I definitely need tires because I am not doing any serious driving on a set of 1990 tires.

Seems a few Porsche had staggered 6" and 7" wide 16" wheels.
With the push to 18", 19" and 20" wheels a set of take-offs should not be too hard to find.

Anyone want to suggest particular models to get close to the right offset?
mepstein
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Sep 15 2016, 03:34 PM) *

So it sounds like well centered 205s are about as wide as safe.

From what I have read 205s run fine on 6 inch wheel, but 7 is a little better.

I would love to go up to 16, but will have to wait till I find a decent set cheap enough.

I just hate buying a set of 15" tires and then finding my 16" wheels the next week.

I definitely need tires because I am not doing any serious driving on a set of 1990 tires.

Seems a few Porsche had staggered 6" and 7" wide 16" wheels.
With the push to 18", 19" and 20" wheels a set of take-offs should not be too hard to find.

Anyone want to suggest particular models to get close to the right offset?

You mentioned cookies, those and Fuchs in 6" fit perfect.
N_Jay
Well, I am not going to find Fuchs cheap.
Have to think about what cars and tears came with 16" Cookie Cutters.

Maybe late 80's 944? Trying to remember what 924S came with?
brant
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Sep 15 2016, 02:12 PM) *

no such thing
cookies only came in 15 x6
and 15x7
mepstein
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 15 2016, 04:21 PM) *

QUOTE(N_Jay @ Sep 15 2016, 02:12 PM) *

no such thing
cookies only came in 15 x6
and 15x7

agree.gif
N_Jay
Seems like most Cookies for sale are 15x7, might have to go and check mine.

So what is the cheap 16" Porsche wheel? Phone dials? Dishes?
mepstein
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Sep 15 2016, 04:36 PM) *

Seems like most Cookies for sale are 15x7, might have to go and check mine.

So what is the cheap 16" Porsche wheel? Phone dials? Dishes?

Yes, 7" cookies are common. I had to hunt a bit for 6" but finally found a set of 5 for $300. Luckily they were 5 minutes from my dad's house so the drive included lunch with him.

The car is sitting high in the pic since the engine is still out. Cookies were bead blasted and then sprayed with clear.
N_Jay
Yep, got mine cheap (A long time ago) and did the same. The Clear Coat has worn through and they need another bead blast clean up.

Last time I did them in a trashcan with a towel across the top, but had glass beads coming out of my eyes for a few days afterwards.

I might send them out or buy a cheap sandblast cabinet. (assuming I don't change to 16" wheels.
Mueller
16" (and 15") Phonedials are cheap unless you want the 23mm 16x8* which go for big bucks.

*Moot point since they won't fit without major mods.

16x7 Phonedials are going to be 23mm offset or 53.3mm offset.

Neither one works without mods or extra expense:

23mm = wheel sits outboard towards the fender lip and will rub against the fender unless you pull the fender out quite a bit and possibly roll the fender.

52.3mm = sits too far inboard, will hit suspension and look goofy as heck.
Solution is to run spacers which my car has
( see my car which has 16x7 52.3mm offset with 205/50-16's
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=265853 )

A 7" rim with an offset like the 911R Fuchs at 49mm is about perfect under a stock fender (in the rear, I think a tad thicker in front is better)

Play with the calculator below.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/
N_Jay
Guess I will watch for 7x16 phone dials with eth 53.3 offset.

Do you know which cars they came from?

My guess is if I don't find wheels before I need to buy the tires I will just clean these up and stick with15s.
mskala
At least in the past, 16x7 Boxster rears were cheap and they have a 40mm offset
which works well.
N_Jay
Looking at ebay, the seemail fairly inexpensive, bUT mostly in staggered sets.
Mueller
QUOTE(mskala @ Sep 15 2016, 07:22 PM) *

At least in the past, 16x7 Boxster rears were cheap and they have a 40mm offset
which works well.

McMark is running those on all 4 corners. I like them better than my 'dials, however mine are paid for so I'll keep them.
mskala
Two different ebay sellers have 2 each of the boxster 16x7, about $130 per wheel.
Mueller
Another advantage to the Boxster wheel is smaller spacer needed and I'm betting the wheel is at least 1 pound lighter than the Phonedial.
mskala
At least for me no spacer was necessary.

I don't know how much the bigger phone dials weigh, but the 7" boxster rims are
not light, they were ~18.5 if I recall. The Fuchs 15x6 is closer to 13 pounds so if
going for performance you're going in the wrong direction.
brant
QUOTE(mskala @ Sep 16 2016, 11:46 AM) *

At least for me no spacer was necessary.

I don't know how much the bigger phone dials weigh, but the 7" boxster rims are
not light, they were ~18.5 if I recall. The Fuchs 15x6 is closer to 13 pounds so if
going for performance you're going in the wrong direction.

I'm running boxter 7's front and rear
I think I got them from Mark even...

they are super heavy
built for a much heavier vehicle
but they look cool!

brant
Mueller
http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/WheelWts.html

According to the chart above my 16x7 Phonedials are 18.5 pounds, then figure another 1.5 pounds per spacer, so that would make the Boxster wheel lighter for this application. smile.gif
mmascari
I also put Boxster wheels on mine. No spacers needed with 205 size tires. The wheels are light, inexpensive and in my opinion look pretty good. I also have Boxster calipers.
N_Jay
QUOTE(mmascari @ Sep 16 2016, 02:50 PM) *

I also put Boxster wheels on mine. No spacers needed with 205 size tires. The wheels are light, inexpensive and in my opinion look pretty good. I also have Boxster calipers.

That is the direction I am going.

Think I have a line on 2 wheels to start.

Wonder if I can fit 16X9 in the back? LOL (well 1/2 joking)
FUEL14
QUOTE(mmascari @ Sep 17 2016, 05:50 AM) *

I'm looking at a set of wheels for a narrow body car. The specs are 4x130 stud, 15x7, 40mm offset.

If the Boxter wheels at 16x7 and 40mm offset fit really nicely, is it fair to say that the wheels I'm looking at, fitted with 205 tyres, will also fit well?

Thanks, Luke.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.