Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transaxle code
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
turbonet
I am looking at buying what I am told is a '73 2l. I am waiting for the COA a the moment so in the mean time I am look for some help.

The engine has the correct code for a '73 (GA 000435) but the transaxle numbers don't seem to make sense.

trans code:

914/11 HA0053820

From the info I have been able to find the 914/11 portion has it as a '72 but the numbers fall into early '73.

It seems the 914/11 trans numbers stop at HA053072 but the one I'm looking at has a number code that would fall much later and seems to fall into the '73 914/12???

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this for me?

Thanks guys

Trevor
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif I have no idea what you have, seems odd to me too. These charts, from the FWSM.
turbonet
thanks for the chart. It shows the same thing. 914/11 shows as '72 but the serial number would fall in '73.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 15 2016, 08:12 AM) *

biggrin.gif I have no idea what you have, seems odd to me too. These charts, from the FWSM.

Jeff & Turbonet,

The Transaxle Case No. Decoder is wrong, cuz it doesn't show all 7 digits after the HA, as the by MY chart does. Scratch that, as I was looking at the later MYs' decoder! blink.gif

It still doesn't make sense though, for the decoder & MY usage for either my nor Turbonet's early-72 built 73 2L!! huh.gif

So the leading 00+DDMMY should be shown, &/r its trailing, in either case perhaps with the last digits representing the # built on that day?? confused24.gif
.... as on the Chassis numbers.

Turbonet - as for a 72 MY Transaxle being used on an early `73 , your GA case # indicates an early production 2.0, so it was probably built in Aug. or Sept. 72 (check your VIN sticker & Chassis no. to decode approx. build date) - so they would've used up the 72 era transaxles in the parts bins, before moving on to the 73 MY 914/12's.

Also, they weren't used in building the cars strictly sequentially for the various components - but rather whichever of whatever they grabbed from the parts bin as they went along (as opposed to some other cars who have all parts strictly matched in their original build).

So that aspect isn't a mystery, but probably shows why PCNA doesn't bother to put Transaxle nos. on COAs, & why the factory didn't record them on the Kardex's in the first place.

FYI - take the VIN stick month & year, & get a calendar for it online (1972 in your case), then take your Chassis No. (@ Karmann tag on F driver door jamb & stamped in rear of the R. trunk floor) as:

WWD95XX

WW = Week of Year Number (count 1 day as 1st week if Jan. 1)

D = Day of work Week M-F

95 = Karmann Plant (Note that 96 - adds 100 to # in day, 97 + 200)

XX = Number Car Built that Day

If it makes you feel any better, my Transaxle Code makes no sense either (pic below), with my 73 914-2.0 built on 8/31/72 with GA000424 (very close to yours)....

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
turbonet
Great information. Thank you.

So it looks by my Karmann body code (3839605) it was built Sept 20 #105

I didn't follow what you meant about getting calendar online using vin.
Tom_T
QUOTE(turbonet @ Sep 15 2016, 01:32 PM) *

Great information. Thank you.

So it looks by my Karmann body code (3839605) it was built Sept 20 #105

I didn't follow what you meant about getting calendar online using vin.

I just meant that you will generally use your VIN sticker date to determine which year calendar you'll need to use for the Chassis # decoding, since model years straddle calendar years by about 4 months/8 months (i.e.: the Model Years run Aug-Dec prior calendar year to July following calendar year).

For others trying to figure this out for a Jan/Feb VIN sticker date at the end/beginning of the calendar year, you'll need to use the first 2 chassis code digits - low # means to use the following calendar year calendar year, & high number means use the prior calendar year. .... i.e.: a Chassis # in the 40's & 50s week numbers is prior year, while 01> would be in the "new year."

What's your VIN code's last digits & sticker date?

My VIN ends in ....1854, VIN sticker date is 08/72 & Chassis # comes out to 8/31/72, with car sold new on 11/6/72 (I'm 2nd owner since 12/75).

Another member on here had a VIN a few hundred before mine, but his Chassis no. came out in Sept. 72 - later than mine - so even the VIN & Chassis numbers don't align up right! blink.gif

Under the wonky factory plates & stickers math - my 73 2L has the distinction of being a ONE DAY build on 8/31/72 with an August 1972 VIN sticker date, & so far I've found no other miraculous "one day builds"! laugh.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
turbonet
Again. Thanks for the great info.

I haven't actually purchased the car yet and I don't have a picture of the vin sticker.

Just got COA confirmation the engine is original but the transaxle is "information not available". So not recorded I assume.

A one day build!! That's awesome. Pretty neat how much you can find out with enough digging.
Tom_T
QUOTE(turbonet @ Sep 16 2016, 07:29 AM) *

Again. Thanks for the great info.

I haven't actually purchased the car yet and I don't have a picture of the vin sticker.

Just got COA confirmation the engine is original but the transaxle is "information not available". So not recorded I assume.

A one day build!! That's awesome. Pretty neat how much you can find out with enough digging.

Take the "one day build" with a grain of salt! dry.gif

Given the loosey-goosey nature of the Porsche info from back then, it's only good for interesting chat in car circles.
But it's still fun to "tease" my fellow judges at the PCA Concours though! biggrin.gif

FYI - the majority of 914 COAs show "info not available" for transaxle numbers (as does mine), so that's not unusual - & I think many of the other 50's-70's P-cars had that no. lacking too.

So if you're looking to buy it, spend time on the rust & other PPI issues - now that you've confirmed that it is indeed a real 73 2L - & this form will be helpful, courtesy of member here Jeff Bowlsby:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

He has tons of great info at his main website:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

As does this one, but you may have to manually add ".info" or ".net" to the hot links if they come up blank or with errors, as he's still rebuilding his website after a lightning strike fried his system earlier this year:

p914.com or .info or .net

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dlkawashima

These charts, from the FWSM.

Just want to point out that the tranny from my late '73 (build date June 27, 1973) uses the transmission numbering method for, according to the charts, model year '74 onward. This is another case where rolling changes don't necessarily align with the switch to a new model year.

Click to view attachment
turbonet
Thanks guys.

I will be buying car. It will need some extensive rust repair but that's actually the reason I bought it. I need a project.

Now I need a set of carbs or original fuel injection. Only thing it's missing.
Tom_T
QUOTE(turbonet @ Sep 16 2016, 06:39 PM) *

Thanks guys.

I will be buying car. It will need some extensive rust repair but that's actually the reason I bought it. I need a project.

Now I need a set of carbs or original fuel injection. Only thing it's missing.

If you're going to all this trouble to find a numbers matching early 73 2.0 "914S" - then I'd suggest that you go with the OEM EFI, but you'll need to match all of the EFI sytem components to the same `73 only EFI, since they don't work properly with various parts.

A word of caution though - if you know you have rust issues to repair, & a missing fuel system, & you'll undoubtedly have other cost issues come up on the project - then you'll probably be into it for more cost, than to just find a complete car without rust issues & work on a resto of that.

I probably wouldn't undertake my own 73 2L's resto, if it hadn't been my car from "almost the start" & with many memories (2nd owner since Dec. 75 & 10 years as my DD & only car). sad.gif

I'm just sayin'! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
turbonet
Over time, yes, this car will undoubtedly cost me more. Short term is a lot less.

I just picked up a carb setup for 300 and the car was 3000 canadian vs 12000 or more for a decent car.

besides I need something I can put my "stamp" on. I don't want someone elses restoration. they probably wouldn't do a good enough job for me. lol-2.gif

joemqn
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Sep 16 2016, 02:19 PM) *

These charts, from the FWSM.

Just want to point out that the tranny from my late '73 (build date June 27, 1973) uses the transmission numbering method for, according to the charts, model year '74 onward. This is another case where rolling changes don't necessarily align with the switch to a new model year.

Click to view attachment

Looks like my transmission is 12 days before yours. Looking for a roller as I have a 914 Type 4 and this 914 transmission. Cheers to all, enjoy the Holidays...Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.