Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hard to start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
New build just finished. Engine runs and a few items remain to be sorted out such as carb jetting and final timing. Issue is the starter turns over S-L-O-W-L-Y. I'm using the original relay board and jumpered across per a previous posting for ground location, see attachment. Bought and installed the Tangerine Racing carb conversion fuel pump with SS lines and installed it under the steering rack. Ran 12V wiring thru tunnel where the old return line was. I also bought a rebuilt Bosch starter and alternator from Pelican and a new alternator harness for Jeff Bowlsby which included the wiring for the starter. New Hot lead to the starter as well. New battery, a red top Optima. Any guidance on a fix is appreciated. Ignition switch ???? How to fix ??

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Transmission ground strap in place and clean? Battery ground strap clean? Bolt area cleaned off for good contact in both locations?
Rand
Cranks, but just slowly... Does it do the same with jumper cables from a running car? I wouldn't think ignition switch because when they fail it typically won't crank at all.
rhodyguy
So slowly the engine won't start? Did you check the voltage on your new optima? Did you clean up the bat terminal clamps and the chassis grounds?
Dave_Darling
Does the engine turn over by hand?

--DD
Toast
Toast
Check starter amp and grounds. What oil are you using and what is the weather temp where you are?
injunmort
unless he filled the crankcase with grease, the oil has no effect on this condition, check the grounds and connection, make sure you have 12volts out of battery and 12volts at starter
Mike Bellis
How old is the battery cable to the starter?
injunmort
op states new^
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Sep 15 2016, 12:52 PM) *

New build just finished. Engine runs and a few items remain to be sorted out such as carb jetting and final timing. Issue is the starter turns over S-L-O-W-L-Y. I'm using the original relay board and jumpered across per a previous posting for ground location, see attachment. Bought and installed the Tangerine Racing carb conversion fuel pump with SS lines and installed it under the steering rack. Ran 12V wiring thru tunnel where the old return line was. I also bought a rebuilt Bosch starter and alternator from Pelican and a new alternator harness for Jeff Bowlsby which included the wiring for the starter. New Hot lead to the starter as well. New battery, a red top Optima. Any guidance on a fix is appreciated. Ignition switch ???? How to fix ??

Click to view attachment

Engine starts and runs, very well I must add. Battery is new Optima red top. Cable to starter is also new. Ground strap to the transmission is installed. Didn't think that any grounds would/could be at issue as all are new except for the battery ground cable. I will take apart the 2 ground connections and ensure they are clean and have good contact. By the way I'm using Brad Penn break in oil and the crankcase is not overfilled. Temp yesterday was an excellent 80 degrees and sunny. Great day for a 914 drive of 20 miles. First one in over 24 years for this car. Thanks all for the help. Still investigating
Movin6
I'd be curious about voltage at the starter as you are starting it. One item not mentioned is the solenoid relay. Usually they fail completely, but bad or dirty contacts could be an issue.

In the meantime, park on a hill! ;-)

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Sep 16 2016, 09:01 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Engine starts and runs, very well I must add. Battery is new Optima red top. Cable to starter is also new. Ground strap to the transmission is installed. Didn't think that any grounds would/could be at issue as all are new except for the battery ground cable. I will take apart the 2 ground connections and ensure they are clean and have good contact. By the way I'm using Brad Penn break in oil and the crankcase is not overfilled. Temp yesterday was an excellent 80 degrees and sunny. Great day for a 914 drive of 20 miles. First one in over 24 years for this car. Thanks all for the help. Still investigating

porschetub
You mentioned you are using ''running in'' oil,has the motor been reconditioned ?,if so it may just be tight.
Get your multimeter and attach the probes to the battery then get someone to crank it over and see what voltage drop you have,you could also do the same @ the starter.
IMO its not safe to assume it isn't the ignition switch,they don't always fail straight off,mine caused several different faults before finally packing it in,burnt/worn contacts in the start position of the switch could be robbing power from the battery surely.
Good luck.
Jon H.
It could also be the starter. I've had other cars that had the same issue and a new starter was the fix.

Regards'
Jon h.
North Coast Jim

Click to view attachment

Disconnected the grounds and cleaned them thoroughly. Had to remove some paint as the body was a complete respray. Added a star type lock washer with many points of contacts. Cranks now as it should. Thanks all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.