Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Mechanic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shoguneagle
I am in need of a qualified 914 mechanic (Porsche) to help me in straightening out problems with my 901 transaxle. Wanting a referral to someone in Oregon or Northern California.

Problem seems to be possible internal (all the other problem areas have been changed and replaced with new parts.

Problem getting into gear after driving the car sometime and shift hard; hard to find the different gear slots; hard to shift statically at the transmission; sometimes goes into the different gears and sometimes not which has been checked with the shifter disconnected.

Transmission rebuilt within the last five years with way less than five hundred miles on it and installed behind a 3.2 carrera engine.

Do need assistance or referral to mechanic on this one. Definitely over my head on this one.

Thanks,
Steve confused24.gif confused24.gif
Andyrew
Gears are sometimes difficult to get into at the trani without the syncros spinning, your problem may still lie with the shift bushings unless your 100% sure they are fine.

Cant help you with a mechanic.. sad.gif
Amphicar770
I thought my tranny might need a rebuild as shifting was still clunky, gears hard to find, after I had replaced some of the bushings.

It was only after I replaced ALL of the bushings from shifter on back, and installed tangerine firewall bushing that the magic happened. The difference is night and day.

Do the bushings and ensure proper adjustment before even thinking about opening up the tranny.

shoguneagle
Thanks Andy, will be checking everything again.

It is hard to get into any gear statically and most of the time cannot find the gears. Will also re-rig again and keep trying to find the problem. The shift testing has been at the side shifter and appears to be somewhat rough. I think I will view Doc Evil's DVDs again to see if I can spot anything logical.
injunmort
how are the shifter bushings?
rgalla9146
Are you certain there is enough gear lube ?
shoguneagle
Just to let everyone know what the outcome is regarding the shifting on my transmission. You do need to have a good trusted auto mechanic or experienced porsche friend to get you straightened out and focused on the "happenings".

Thanks, Renee.

I am now running Valvoline Dino Trans Fluid and breaking in the rebuild. Previous I had changed everything in the bushings at the fire wall, bronze at the side shift console, tapered screws all new, and yoke/pins.

In sum, I have a very temperamental shifting transmission which requires very close shifting gates and selection. I double sprinted the two springs under the shifter and adjusted the shifter to eliminate any chance of hitting first/reverse gears by loading the shifter away from them; paid close attention to the shift console gear selections and where they shifted to each slot; always rigged to third gear and played with where the shift on the console went into gear. Always tried to get the approximate center of each shift slot. Using this approach and taking my time, I got the shift down to where it is acceptable during this break-in period; gears at times seem to want to hang-up and prevent going into gear; clearing the gears and then shifting into proper gear is working. Still a little nervous at stop lights but we are getting farther out in our trial runs.

Beginning to get the car together and sorted out. After making sure the problem is somewhat solved, it looks like J.West will be the next item to add.

Thanks everyone for the inputs which certainly helped.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.