Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mirror time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
N_Jay
The mirrors on the car are some small aftermarket "race style" from the 80's that never stayed tight and just don't look great.

I think they are Vitaloni Baby Turbo Mirror, or at least they look like it.
IPB Image

They could be the EMPI copies
IPB Image

Going to have to take a closer look.

I have seen some nice "Porsche flag mirrors on 914s, but wonder what model and year they came off of.

I am guessing 80's 944s, or maybe even 911s??

Anyone have a favorite mirror to put on an "updated" looking 914?

Any tricks to get a good solid mound and decent fit and finish?
N_Jay

I have seen some nice "Porsche flag mirrors on 914s, but wonder what model and year they came off of.

I am guessing 80's 944s, or maybe even 911s??

Anyone have a favorite mirror to put on an "updated" looking 914?

Any tricks to get a good solid mound and decent fit and finish?

Decision made!
Just won a set of 931 mirrors on ebay for $25.
Will have to figure out how to mount them.

Anyone? Anyone? Buller?
Coondog
We could help you out installing stock 914 mirrors.........but 931 mirrors headbang.gif
N_Jay
QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 18 2016, 07:48 PM) *

We could help you out installing stock 914 mirrors.........but 931 mirrors headbang.gif

I have seen a decent number with 70s/80's Porsche flag mirrors, and they look fairly good.

Not doing a concours restoration so not crazy about spending over $300 for a pair of not much more than VW chrome mirrors.
Coondog
Just giving you a poke.gif I like the 944 mirrors when there painted to match the car.. blink.gif
theleschyouknow
both driver and passenger doors have a second layer 'reinforcement' and threaded 'nuts' under the doors outer skin so you can mount stock mirrors either side
don't know how 931 mirror bases line up but there is some support for mirrors on both doors measure carefully and modify as needed
good luck

beerchug.gif
cjl
Cuda911
If not going stock, most prefer '73 Mustang mirrors.

dlkawashima
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Sep 18 2016, 10:27 PM) *

If not going stock, most prefer '73 Mustang mirrors.

IPB Image
eitnurg
When I was fitting flag mirrors several years ago, I found the following picture useful: it shows that 911 mirror bases are the ones to use on 914s BUT the bases are interchangeable: the flag bit of the mirror is identical, no matter what car they came off. There are 2 sorts, early and late, but the difference is the method of attaching the mirror glass and there is no physical difference once assembled.

Click to view attachment

Other points to consider are:

The bases have to be re-profiled, either more or less, depending which side. The one on the driver's side fits further down the door and getting it to sit correctly on the 914 door is marginal. It MIGHT pay to get a RHD left-side 911 base and use that instead: it would move the mirror back & up, the increased angle MIGHT be OK, and the mirror would sit better and not be so prominent. The only problem is that fitting them involves cutting holes in the door so experimentation is out. (Or, a supply of useable, scrap, doors).

IPB Image

Seemingly no-one has used 1974 911 mirrors. They would seem to suit the car, and they're of the correct sort of vintage, so why not?

IPB Image
N_Jay
Those 74 911 mirrors do look kind of nice, but I am guessing they are made of unobtainium.

Still thinking I am looking for painted instead of chrome.

I was paining myself whether the 911 or 924/44 mount made any difference, as eth 924/44 would have to sit lower due to the flatter mounting surface. (But less curve matching for the base.)

Not sure why a left mirror would be different RHD or LHD?

eitnurg
QUOTE(N_Jay @ Sep 19 2016, 01:35 PM) *

Look closely at the white 911: the passenger's side - r/h side - mirror is mounted slightly further back, and closer to the glass: the mounting is a different profile to reflect that. It's also more sharply angled: although you can adjust the mirror within the housing, movement is limited: again, the base determines that. On a RHD passenger mirror, all that is reflected on the l/h side: ie driver's side on a 914. It all means that it mounts closer to the window, and further back along the door. The vent window divider maŷ be in the way of line-of-sight, but only experimentation would determine that.
N_Jay
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Sep 19 2016, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(N_Jay @ Sep 19 2016, 01:35 PM) *

Look closely at the white 911: the passenger's side - r/h side - mirror is mounted slightly further back, and closer to the glass: the mounting is a different profile to reflect that. It's also more sharply angled: although you can adjust the mirror within the housing, movement is limited: again, the base determines that. On a RHD passenger mirror, all that is reflected on the l/h side: ie driver's side on a 914. It all means that it mounts closer to the window, and further back along the door. The vent window divider maŷ be in the way of line-of-sight, but only experimentation would determine that.

I noticed the difference in mounting location on second look, but wonder if the profile of the door is significantly different that that those two points.

When I get the mirrors in, I may take a look and see if they will be too low to get a flat enough spot, and if I have to go to a 911 base.

Since I have seen a fair number of pictures of cars with these mirrors, I thought someone here might have already gone through the learning exercise.
dlkawashima
Go here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...rors-914-a.html

Which will lead you back to here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=21421

IPB Image
IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
I have flag mirrors on my car. Just make sure that you mount them parallel to the ground. If they are at an angle either up or down, they will look like krap.
N_Jay
Thanks,
This helps a lot.
Next will be finding a set of the inside reinforcements.
I assumed they were part of the door skin and I was going to have to create my own.
eitnurg
There's enough info there to keep you going for a while. As has been said, make sure they're exactly horizontal: any droop will look awful.

Reinforcing panels I made myself, bonded to the door on the inside. They haven't been seen for a couple of decades, so as long as they work it doesn't matter how they look.

On rooting around I have a spare RHD L/H 911 mirror base left over that I shall never use. If you'd like to see if it works, PM me your address & I'll stick it in the post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.