Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine cuts out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
1975 914 Ljet 1.8L with Bosch blue coil and Petronics Ignition. While driving or sometimes sitting at a light, the engine cuts out? It starts up with out any problem. Checked the connecting plug to the resistor pack and leads to the coil, no signs of poor contact. WTF.gif
timothy_nd28
How often is sometimes?
Geezer914
It is intermittent. I went for a 40 minute drive yesterday, it stopped a few minutes after I started it up and again about 30 minutes later idling at a traffic light. On the way back it cut out while driving for about 5 seconds, restarted on its own and was fine after that. Every now and then I get a slight hesitation, it cuts out for a split second. I am thinking a loose wire or poor ground some where. Fuel circuit or ignition?
wndsnd
The brand new Jeep Cherokee I rented this week did that. It was very disconcerting!

The first time I saw the tach bottom out I said WTF....

However, it did have a button that stopped that nonsense.
stugray
I had a condensor fall off the dizzy and the car ran fine when it was touching the top of the engine, but would hesitate and cut out as it rolled around the engine bay.
Geezer914
Found the problem. Loose connection on the ground wire to the engine block. As soon as I touched the wire, the engine stopped. Cleaned the contact and tightened the crimp connector and it is running fine. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.