Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crossed Wires, now it won't turn over
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gmelton
Hello all. I'm new to your WORLD and have screwed up royally. I was trying to get some interior lights (after market) working from the door switch. I mistakenly added the positive side from the ignition to the switch instead of the negative. When I went to install the door switch back into the car the wires lit up like a Christmas tree. They were on fire, smoke billowed everywhere. I immediately cut the wire from the door switch which was connected to the ignition side of the fuse box, btw connected to the wrong side I know.
Now the car won't turn over. Key in, idiot lights work but won't turn over.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to replace? I'm guessing the ignition switch.
Any advice would help.

Thank you

Greg
73 914 1.7
N_Jay
QUOTE(gmelton @ Sep 16 2016, 06:37 AM) *

Hello all. I'm new to your WORLD and have screwed up royally. I was trying to get some interior lights (after market) working from the door switch. I mistakenly added the positive side from the ignition to the switch instead of the negative. When I went to install the door switch back into the car the wires lit up like a Christmas tree. They were on fire, smoke billowed everywhere. I immediately cut the wire from the door switch which was connected to the ignition side of the fuse box, btw connected to the wrong side I know.
Now the car won't turn over. Key in, idiot lights work but won't turn over.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to replace? I'm guessing the ignition switch.
Any advice would help.

Thank you

Greg
73 914 1.7

If you smoked the wires you could (and probably did) burn the insulation off somewhere. I would check all fuses and you may have killed the switch, but bet you have a short or two.
gmelton
Yes I definitely smoked the wire I was installing. Nothing else looks burnt or insulation missing. I'm replacing the ignition switch today(little white plug).
Just wanted to know if there was anything else I needed to be aware of.
76-914
When you turn the key to start, check for 12v at the starter on the yellow wire. If you have 12v the switch is good. You can also jump the starter at the solenoid to check the starter itself. welcome.png
gmelton
So if I have juice at the switch, it's not the switch?. That's great because it looks like a pain in the a$$ to disassemble the dash and steering column just to get to it. I'll check the starter today.

Thanks for the advice.

Greg
gmelton
SOLVED... So as I am taking the dash off to get to the ignition switch I noticed this toggle switch attached under the dash. I thought nothing of it. Got the ignition switch replaced, it needed it but it didn't fix my problem. Once I started putting the dash Back together I traced that toggle switch. It was a fricking kill switch. Hit the switch and she started right up. It had nothing to do with the burnt wires.

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know people are will to help when you're in a bind.

Greg
rhodyguy
You found the anti theft device.
TheCabinetmaker
So, you found the kill switch. Curious. You said now it won't start. How did it start before with the kill switch off? Have you never started the car before?
whitetwinturbo
blowup.gif blowup.gif blowup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.