Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 or '81 911 SC targa?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I may have the option to acquire a silver '81 911 SC Targa at no cost. The catch is that if I ever sold it, the $ would go back to the original owner's estate.

Seems like a no brainer, but I only have one garage space and the 914 is in it. The 911 is in good condition and worth about $20k more than the 914, but I'm not sure I will like driving the 911 as much as I do the 914 (despite the 914s shortcomings in comparison).

I could potentially keep both, but that would mean storing one of the cars off site in a storage facility ($100?+ per month) and paying insurance on 2 cars. Money I'd rather not spend. It would also be a huge PITA when I wanted to drive the car that lived in storage. So it doesn't seem very realistic or practical to keep both vehicles, but I'm having hard time with the thought of selling the 914.

Would love to hear from those that chose one model over the other after having owned both.
Mike Bellis
I've owned both. Sold the 911 and bought another 914. The 914 is more fun to drive. 911's will only get you more props from the main stream drones.

Your deal to temporarily own a 911 is not a good deal. You will end up putting money into it and then never own or benefit from it. I would not go for it. Plus Targa 911's are the least desirable models.

If you can work out a deal to keep it and own it, then go for it.
jor
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 16 2016, 02:45 PM) *

I've owned both. Sold the 911 and bought another 914. The 914 is more fun to drive. 911's will only get you more props from the main stream drones.

Your deal to temporarily own a 911 is not a good deal. You will end up putting money into it and then never own or benefit from it. I would not go for it. Plus Targa 911's are the least desirable models.

If you can work out a deal to keep it and own it, then go for it.

agree.gif 911s are expensive to run and you won't really own it so you won't benefit from the money you put into repair and maintenance. From an economic perspective, it certainly would be more sound to stay with the car you actually own. From a fun-to-drive perspective -- well, that's really up to you. Have you driven this particular 911?
My 914
There is another option you might consider. Keep the 914 but put it in the storage facility for one year. Get the 911 and put it in your garage and drive it for the year and enjoy it. Once in a while, take the 914 out for a spin as well. At the end of the year, make your decision. A year of storage payments and insurance is not a lot for the option of having a 911 around and you'll have no regrets about the decision you make at the end of that time.
rjames
QUOTE(My 914 @ Sep 16 2016, 03:14 PM) *

There is another option you might consider. Keep the 914 but put it in the storage facility for one year. Get the 911 and put it in your garage and drive it for the year and enjoy it. Once in a while, take the 914 out for a spin as well. At the end of the year, make your decision. A year of storage payments and insurance is not a lot for the option of having a 911 around and you'll have no regrets about the decision you make at the end of that time.

Hadn't considered that....

911s are expensive to run and you won't really own it so you won't benefit from the money you put into repair and maintenance

I should have stated that it's being willed to me. The owner's wife is still alive. The agreement I would make is that if I ever sold it I would give the $ back to her. She is 20 years older than me, so if I kept it long enough, it would be mine outright and if sold I would keep the $.
Steve
I would do the storage thing. I also bought a 993 and sold my 914. Four years later I bought the same 914 back and sold the 993. I hated the lift throttle oversteer in the 911. The 993 lift throttle oversteer is not nearly as bad as an SC or early 911. The build quality is nicer and it is more comfortable.
Mark Henry
Can you build a shed big enough for a car? idea.gif
mepstein
Simple - use the engine from the targa for a conversion. Keep the 914-(6) biggrin.gif
Larmo63
I would do everything in my power to accept a 'willed' 911 Targa, even if it is an '81.

Get the car, figure out the logistics later.

chair.gif
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2016, 07:02 PM) *

Simple - use the engine from the targa for a conversion. Keep the 914-(6) biggrin.gif

beat me to it!

beerchug.gif cjl
These opportunities are rare, if you've never owned a 911, I would take ownership. Enjoy it for as long as you wish. If you sell it, give her the money back.

The cost to "store" the 914 is simply that. If you want the opportunity to really " experience" the joys of driving a 911...its going to cost you until you actually decide.
The 911s are not difficult to drive and maintain, from someone that's been there done that.
Coondog
Paid back in today's market value or in 10 years market value ?? You should at least have a timeline on when you could purchase the car at today's price, nobody gets a car forever so there should be something in there that protects you when that kid grows up and wants his grandads 911 back and sues you and the estate for it.
And who pays for the 911 major repairs.....?? and is all that deducted from the sale price.

I could come up with 20 more questions on a transaction like this. Hope you do your homework.
My 914
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Sep 16 2016, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2016, 07:02 PM) *

beat me to it!

beerchug.gif cjl

Or to take it one step further along these lines, put the 914 into storage as I suggested earlier, drive the 911 for a year and if you end up liking the 911 engine more, then go ahead and build the conversion. Amazing how many options you have!
flyer86d
In 1988 I bought a 1983 911SC Targa as a daily driver. I bought it right, it was a little rough but I cleaned it up. I was restoring my 58 coupe at the time, I had the 6, the 73 911 was being repainted and we had the SC track car to use on weekends. The whole intent was to drive the Targa everyday commuting 53 miles each way to work all four seasons of the year. Hell, it was galvanized, ziebarted, had great heat and lousy A/C. It was the Porsche that I drove the most in my 43 years of Porsche ownership putting 90K on it in the 5 years I owned it but I never really loved the car. We drove it at Lime Rock and Pocano DEs when it was too cold to take a car without heat. I drove it in snow storms but we lived in New Jersey at the time not Vermont.

It was by far, the cheapest car that I have ever owned. Other than tires and brake pads, I had to replace the clutch because the throw out bearing failed because the PO had it adjusted wrong. While the engine was out , I installed Carrera chain tensioners and a new oil pressure switch. Later I had to change the alternator. That's it. I sold it for $1,500 less than I paid for it. I do all my own work so my expense was parts.

SCs are perhaps the best that Porsche has made. The engine is bulletproof and the bodies don't rust. As I said, I am not a Targa fan, but they are great, dependable and still simple drivers.

Charlie
GeorgeRud
I'm fortunate enough to own both, and they have their attributes. The 914s are certainly more 'go karts' than the 911, and you will feel you're driving a heavier car. As far as being a Targa, I love the ability to still have the open air feel with the top off, and great visibility with it on as well. I don't know if the 911SC will ever become such a great collectable that I'd be unwilling to park it outside if needed, but I'd certainly try to get no keep it. You'll learn to enjoy both cars!
Cupomeat
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 16 2016, 08:14 PM) *

I would do everything in my power to accept a 'willed' 911 Targa, even if it is an '81.

Get the car, figure out the logistics later.

chair.gif

I agree, get the 911 and savor the experience!
914-300Hemi
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 16 2016, 06:29 PM) *

I'm fortunate enough to own both, and they have their attributes. The 914s are certainly more 'go karts' than the 911, and you will feel you're driving a heavier car. As far as being a Targa, I love the ability to still have the open air feel with the top off, and great visibility with it on as well. I don't know if the 911SC will ever become such a great collectable that I'd be unwilling to park it outside if needed, but I'd certainly try to get no keep it. You'll learn to enjoy both cars!

I agree. The 911 is a different animal than the 914 both are fun and put a smile on your face. I wish I had these dilemmas.

somd914
I wasn't keen on 914's until one came my way unexpectedly, and I decided to go for it. I've come to enjoy it quite a bit. The reverse might happen for you.

As for me, I enjoy both my Carrera and 914's. Yes, they are different cars, both have advantages and disadvantages. The 3.2 with a Steve Wong chip and Fabspeed exhaust is intoxicating compared to a Type IV. But yes, even though the Carrera has shed about 200 lbs from stock, it does feel heavy in comparison to the teeners. As for SC's, I find them a bit more sedate in stock configuration, but that can be remidied.

I have not found maintenance to be high (do most of my own work), probably spend more time tweaking odds and ends on the teeners.

In regard to pricing, at least around here targa prices appear to be climbing, but who knows what the future holds in store for any of our cars.

But with that said, I would have reservations about your agreement from a long-term perspective, at least from what I gleaned from this thread. Questions like titling and insurance come to mind. Assume the car is titled to the widow. What happens if she passes away, is it legally clear that you own the car, and if not titled to you, is it subject to probate then? And if you intend on buying her out at some point, an accident which totals the car, or theft, etc. could result in a settlement to the widow and you lose out.
Michael N
I sold my 1982 911SC Targa to buy my 914-6. That was the right decision and I do not regret it even after 11 years. Is there any possibility of putting a lift in the garage and keep both?
Rand
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 16 2016, 02:32 PM) *

I may have the option to acquire a silver '81 911 SC Targa at no cost. The catch is that if I ever sold it, the $ would go back to the original owner's estate.

Seems like a no brainer, but I only have one garage space and the 914 is in it. The 911 is in good condition and worth about $20k more than the 914, but I'm not sure I will like driving the 911 as much as I do the 914 (despite the 914s shortcomings in comparison).

I could potentially keep both, but that would mean storing one of the cars off site in a storage facility ($100?+ per month) and paying insurance on 2 cars. Money I'd rather not spend. It would also be a huge PITA when I wanted to drive the car that lived in storage. So it doesn't seem very realistic or practical to keep both vehicles, but I'm having hard time with the thought of selling the 914.

Would love to hear from those that chose one model over the other after having owned both.

BOB! Jump at opportunities, then work out the logistics! Crazy opportunities don't come around every day. Sounds like a no-brainer based on what you've said. But...
As far as knowing what you'll like to drive.... Can you drive the 911 to see? Don't depend on opinions if you have the opportunity first hand.
Figure all that out first. It can't be an A/B choice until then.
rjames
Appreciate all the responses.
The full story is that my cousin who owned the 911 passed away. He has willed the car to me. His wife contacted me to let me know and ask if I wanted it. I said, yes, but only if you she didn't want it for herself or if she could use the money from selling it. She said that it was my decision. I told her to think about it more. Knowing what the car is worth I don't want her giving it to me if she needs the $ or would have any negative feelings about it at all. A car isn't worth destroying family ties.
I told her to think about it and I would do the same.

I am thinking that if she does really want me to have it and I decide to take it, I would only do so under the agreement that I'm just the caretaker while she's alive. If she wants it back, it's hers. If I take it and decide later I don't want it- she gets first dibs on it. If I sell it, the money is hers minus any $ I put into it, within reason. She doesn't have any kids.

I like the idea of storing the 914 and driving the 911 for a year to figure out next steps.

That said, she might end up keeping it/selling it. Easy come, easy go. I'll keep y'all posted.
mepstein
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 17 2016, 01:25 AM) *

Appreciate all the responses.
The full story is that my cousin who owned the 911 passed away. He has willed the car to me. His wife contacted me to let me know and ask if I wanted it. I said, yes, but only if you she didn't want it for herself or if she could use the money from selling it. She said that it was my decision. I told her to think about it more. Knowing what the car is worth I don't want her giving it to me if she needs the $ or would have any negative feelings about it at all. A car isn't worth destroying family ties.
I told her to think about it and I would do the same.

I am thinking that if she does really want me to have it and I decide to take it, I would only do so under the agreement that I'm just the caretaker while she's alive. If she wants it back, it's hers. If I take it and decide later I don't want it- she gets first dibs on it. If I sell it, the money is hers minus any $ I put into it, within reason. She doesn't have any kids.

I like the idea of storing the 914 and driving the 911 for a year to figure out next steps.

That said, she might end up keeping it/selling it. Easy come, easy go. I'll keep y'all posted.

Good attitude. Good karma.
rhodyguy
Fly in the ointment here...are you named in the will or is it a verbal thing? Title goes to your name?
forrestkhaag
Having owned several 911's , two of which were Targa models, I would highly recommend jumping on this opportunity.

My son (..........28 years ago) liked the car too!

beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
You can't go wrong either way.
rhodyguy
Of course! No brainer....
BK911
Another vote to try and keep both.
If you could only have one, you need to drive the SC a bit to see which YOU like better.
I have been fortunate enough to own a variety of cars, including a 78 SC targa, and the 914 would be the last to go.
slotty008
Yesterday morning I drove my 911 3.2. Yesterday afternoon I took the 914 2.0. These two cars are totally different. I would find it very difficult to choose between the two. So that's why I keep them both, even though I will have to find a place to put the 914 during the winter. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
slotty008
Yesterday morning I drove my 911 3.2. Yesterday afternoon I took the 914 2.0. These two cars are totally different. I would find it very difficult to choose between the two. So that's why I keep them both, even though I will have to find a place to put the 914 during the winter. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
ripper911
Buy a 10X15' canopy, waterproof it, and keep the 914 under it.
Last930
I like the lift idea - great way to keep both cars and not require remote storage - assuming the lift will fit in your garage.
Perry Kiehl Clone
You have the priorities right, not everyone does. I love 914's and I love 911's. Keep both! If you want to sell let me know!
rjames
QUOTE(Last930 @ Sep 18 2016, 08:22 AM) *

I like the lift idea - great way to keep both cars and not require remote storage - assuming the lift will fit in your garage.

I like the lift idea, too. Low ceiling won't allow it though.
I may have found a free garage space less than a mile away.

I'll be talking to my cousin in the next day or two. if it doesn't happen, I'm more than content just to be able to own one impractical car, let alone two of them. biggrin.gif
rjames
Last chapter in the story...

Some additional info on the 911:
It hadn't been driven but a few times in the last 20 years. There was something mechanical that happened to it that caused my cousin to park it and not drive it. Five years ago he got it fixed (don't know what was done), he drove it a bit, and then it puked all of it's oil out on the garage floor and it has sat ever since. It's at the dealer now and they want $9k to get it running again. His wife couldn't tell me any specifics on what it needs or about service history. Too many unknowns. When I thought I was going to take it, I offered to pay half the repair costs to get it up and running again. After a sleepless night I realized I don't have $5k to spend on anything at the moment and would need to sell the 914 to raise the money. Didn't seem like a wise choice with so many unknowns on the car.

So I decided to turn down the opportunity to own a 911. sad.gif

Too many variables, too many potential costs and complications. If life wasn't so busy I may have been more inclined to figure out a way to make it work, but the only way I could comfortably and financially make it happen with no place to put two sports cars was to sell my 914 and I couldn't bring myself to do that. Why? Dunno. My 914 isn't anything special and is worth about 1/4th what the 911 is, running or not.

I must be crazy and I'm sure I'll regret the decision the next time I stand next to a one. headbang.gif It would have really been fun to wrench on a 'real porsche'. smile.gif
Eric_Shea
I'll buy it. Have them call me.
rjames
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 22 2016, 02:10 PM) *

She's had a buyer eyeing it for some time. My role now is to make sure she gets what it's worth, as best as I can do from 300 miles away.
billh1963
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 22 2016, 06:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 22 2016, 02:10 PM) *

She's had a buyer eyeing it for some time. My role now is to make sure she gets what it's worth, as best as I can do from 300 miles away.

Yep...air cooled 911's are an easy sell.

Look on Pelican at recent sales to gauge the market.
RickS
What a shame you won't let the 914 go. From an investment standpoint, 911s continue to fetch good money and will continue to appreciate at a rate far faster than the teener. Don't get me wrong, I love my teener, but I also like making money.
flyer86d
Many times when 911's sit for long periods say winter storage, they "wet sump" . That is, all the oil in the oil tank flows into the crankcase and leaks to the ground past the crank pulley seal. You go out to your garage and see this HUGE puddle of oil. Car gets towed to the mechanic and it needs a reseal or rebuild when in fact it has the wrong oil filter without the check valve in it. Always use the factory filter on an air cooled 911.

Charlie
6freak
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 16 2016, 02:32 PM) *

slap.gif I wouldnt pay to drive a 911
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Sep 23 2016, 01:44 AM) *

Many times when 911's sit for long periods say winter storage, they "wet sump" . That is, all the oil in the oil tank flows into the crankcase and leaks to the ground past the crank pulley seal. You go out to your garage and see this HUGE puddle of oil. Car gets towed to the mechanic and it needs a reseal or rebuild when in fact it has the wrong oil filter without the check valve in it. Always use the factory filter on an air cooled 911.

Charlie

Your comment about the HUGE puddle of oil from the "wet sump" is very interesting. I'm not sure if you read this on the web , unless you've had first hand experience.
As for any possibility of oil seeping with be in the crankcase via the oil return tubes.
Lastly, the oil filter is on the right rear / top near number four cylinder.... fluid flows down hill- not uphill to the oil filter....
flyer86d
Wet sumping. I've had first hand experience with this on customers cars on more than one occasion. Customer calls, large pool of oil under the car. What kind of oil filter did the previous mechanic install? Not a factory filter, no check valve.
My 914
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 22 2016, 04:49 PM) *

It hadn't been driven but a few times in the last 20 years. There was something mechanical that happened to it that caused my cousin to park it and not drive it. Five years ago he got it fixed (don't know what was done), he drove it a bit, and then it puked all of it's oil out on the garage floor and it has sat ever since. It's at the dealer now and they want $9k to get it running again. His wife couldn't tell me any specifics on what it needs or about service history. Too many unknowns. When I thought I was going to take it, I offered to pay half the repair costs to get it up and running again. After a sleepless night I realized I don't have $5k to spend on anything at the moment and would need to sell the 914 to raise the money. Didn't seem like a wise choice with so many unknowns on the car.

Too many variables, too many potential costs and complications. If life wasn't so busy I may have been more inclined to figure out a way to make it work, but the only way I could comfortably and financially make it happen with no place to put two sports cars was to sell my 914 and I couldn't bring myself to do that. Why? Dunno. My 914 isn't anything special and is worth about 1/4th what the 911 is, running or not.

I must be crazy and I'm sure I'll regret the decision the next time I stand next to a one. headbang.gif It would have really been fun to wrench on a 'real porsche'. smile.gif

I think 10 or 15 years from now you'll be telling people about the crazy opportunity you had to get a 911 back in 2016 for almost nothing (the 5K will seem trivial at that time).
rjames
QUOTE(My 914 @ Sep 23 2016, 02:23 PM) *

I think 10 or 15 years from now you'll be telling people about the crazy opportunity you had to get a 911 back in 2016 for almost nothing (the 5K will seem trivial at that time).

Nah. Looking back on the conversations I had with my cousin, I didn't get the sense that she was 100% ok with giving it away to me, I think she was relieved I turned it down so she could sell it. She may have needed the money. It's just a car. Bad blood between family isn't worth it.
Cracker
Amen and amen!

Tony

QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 24 2016, 02:41 AM) *

QUOTE(My 914 @ Sep 23 2016, 02:23 PM) *

Nah. Looking back on the conversations I had with my cousin, I didn't get the sense that she was 100% ok with giving it away to me, I think she was relieved I turned it down so she could sell it. She may have needed the money. It's just a car. Bad blood between family isn't worth it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.