Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 Parts Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewvolsen
I bought this 1970 parts car today. Door jamb sticker says it was produced February 1970, VIN indicates it to be approximately car number 3,500. It's been repainted and the interior has been reupholstered at some point. I think it's complete other than the rocker trim (lots of parts in boxes and trunk). Still has the original 1.7 with D-jet and tail shifter. It's fairly rusty for a California car; hell hole looks pretty bad, rust in fenders and floor. It was on jack stands in a garage for about 25 years until this morning.

Anyone have any thoughts on it? Is there anything special on these early cars that I should be sure to save?
pgollender
Don't forget to list your parts car VIN, chassis, and paint codes under members' section.
dlee6204
I'm just curious what you west coasters call "rusty". popcorn[1].gif smile.gif
andrewvolsen
I can see my driveway through the hellhole. Tomorrow I will open both doors, take the top off, and have a heavy guy stand on the sill to see how much it flexes.
andrewvolsen
I opened both doors, took the top off, and had a heavy guy stand on the passenger sill close to the bulkhead this morning. I measured from a point on the top of the targa bar to a point on the windshield frame, and my measurement only changed by 0.1 mm between no weight in the car and heavy guy on the sill. Seems like it should have flexed more than that with how rusty the long is, what do you all think?
andrewvolsen
Hell hole
mlindner
Andrew, I'd take the rear hubs for $85.00. Mark
Chris914n6
So far that looks like an easy fix, relatively. Hell hole is minor and the huge hole in the rocker is the jack point not battery drainage, that's why it's not flexing much.

Post pics of the other places. I'm thinking this one is an East coast fixer.
mepstein
My opinion - that's a car you save, not cut up. Early cars are great and make the best bases for GT conversions.

I wish I could have started with a car that solid.
andrewvolsen
Passenger floor
andrewvolsen
Passenger front fender
andrewvolsen
Passenger fender
Fix....yes one can always fix any car. You need to ask yourself, do I have a Deep Pocket for the restoration.

Over the years, I've seen good intentions with some of these cars. Several years later , someone might ask. I want the garage to park my car in or one day you get tired of dumping your hard earned money into it. Evaluate what you really want. I would start with a car with out any structure work..but that's just me. Good luck
Porschef
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 17 2016, 04:05 PM) *

Post pics of the other places. I'm thinking this one is an East coast fixer.

Absolutely. I bought one a couple years back that's being restored that was not as nice as that. Plus, that seems to be a really early car... w00t.gif
andrewvolsen
Well, how much do you guys think it would be worth to someone as a restoration project? I bought it to strip parts off of, but if someone really wants to restore it that would probably be a better use of it. I bought it from an estate with the understanding that I would use it as a parts car. I would need to speak with the man who sold it to me before pursuing a title with the DMV to make sure he is comfortable with it.

I cleaned up rodent nests from inside of it, and it still has some odor to it.
Chris914n6
No trunk rust?

No accident damage?

Then that's a fixer upper.
andrewvolsen
I guess I'll list it in the cars for sale forum and see if anybody wants it as a project. I don't need a big restoration project, so if nobody wants it to restore it's back to parts car status. Any thoughts on a fair asking price for it?
andrewvolsen
Alright, I've listed it in the cars for sale section of the forum. I'll leave it up for a little while, but I don't want it sitting in my driveway for an extended period. Even if I cut it up the good parts of it can be used to patch up other cars in need of patch panels.
EdwardBlume
Where are you located?
andrewvolsen
Santa Barbara
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.