Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If it ain't One thing, It's Another
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
So one week ago I find and repair my Fuel pump issue and notice my lift has a hydraulic leak. Found I had pinched an o-ring during original install and ordered another and put it back together. My little Sonoma's alternator takes a crap so I replaced that. It must have been designed by the same mad scientist that located the alt on the 914. Four hours. headbang.gif Finish that just in time to beat the afternoon heat and move the 914 back in the garage. WTF.gif It was nose down in the drive and leaked ~ pint of transmission fluid on the drive. You need to split the case to R&R the seal on a Suby transmission. mad.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 18 2016, 03:38 PM) *

So one week ago I find and repair my Fuel pump issue and notice my lift has a hydraulic leak. Found I had pinched an o-ring during original install and ordered another and put it back together. My little Sonoma's alternator takes a crap so I replaced that. It must have been designed by the same mad scientist that located the alt on the 914. Four hours. headbang.gif Finish that just in time to beat the afternoon heat and move the 914 back in the garage. WTF.gif It was nose down in the drive and leaked ~ pint of transmission fluid on the drive. You need to split the case to R&R the seal on a Suby transmission. mad.gif

Nope. Not gonna say it. av-943.gif
KELTY360
Isn't there some kind of joke about a blown seal?
stugray
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 18 2016, 04:38 PM) *

WTF.gif It was nose down in the drive and leaked ~ pint of transmission fluid on the drive. You need to split the case to R&R the seal on a Suby transmission. mad.gif

You do have to remove the trans to replace the input shaft seal but you do not have to pull the core from it.

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 19 2016, 01:44 PM) *

Naw.... that's just a little ice cream.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 19 2016, 01:58 PM) *

Naw.... that's just a little ice cream.

happy11.gif

The rest of the story.......

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=blew++seal
JustinMeier
Well, I hope your Subaru* is back on the road soon.. driving.gif

* You do have a suby conversion, right?
billh1963
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Sep 19 2016, 03:44 PM) *

Leave his personal life out of this biggrin.gif
76-914
[quote name='Elliot Cannon' date='Sep 19 2016, 12:25 PM' post='2400461']
[quote name='76-914' post='2400094' date='Sep 18 2016, 03:38 PM']
[/quote]
Nope. Not gonna say it. av-943.gif
[/quote]
alfred.gif

[quote name='stugray' date='Sep 19 2016, 12:58 PM' post='2400471']
[quote name='76-914' post='2400094' date='Sep 18 2016, 04:38 PM']
WTF.gif It was nose down in the drive and leaked ~ pint of transmission fluid on the drive. You need to split the case to R&R the seal on a Suby transmission. mad.gif
[/quote]

You do have to remove the trans to replace the input shaft seal but you do not have to pull the core from it.

True, but at that pointe it's just a matter of lifting the core out of the case. dry.gif
rhodyguy
Bummer. Feeling a little frustrated these days?
Larmo63
I thought that black car was a Porsche?

chair.gif
76-914
Good point but not anymore. Found out Sunday evening that my nieces 27 yo husband was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of Leukemia. They took him straight to the hospital to begin Chemo. This is 10hrs after diagnosis. Can't be good.
Before this I was having a private pity party. After receiving the bad news I did a 180 and thanked God for giving me something to do. I was slapped in the face with a good dose of PERSPECTIVE. Prayers for Noah will be appreciated. Thx, Kent
Elliot Cannon
It has been my experience that not matter how bad and depressing things can be for me, there is ALWAYS someone who is worse off. All my best to your niece and her husband. I hope he does well.
r_towle
I will agree with Elliott, I am always worse off than he is.
But, neither of us has a Subaru......I can be thankful for that.

So sorry to hear about the health issue, sounds bad.
Chris H.
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 20 2016, 12:13 PM) *

Good point but not anymore. Found out Sunday evening that my nieces 27 yo husband was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of Leukemia. They took him straight to the hospital to begin Chemo. This is 10hrs after diagnosis. Can't be good.
Before this I was having a private pity party. After receiving the bad news I did a 180 and thanked God for giving me something to do. I was slapped in the face with a good dose of PERSPECTIVE. Prayers for Noah will be appreciated. Thx, Kent

Fack man, that's terrible news. Will keep your family in our prayers. I have some trans related suggestions but will post those seperately.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 20 2016, 10:13 AM) *

Oh wow.. That's terrible. My thoughts and good energy for the family.
forrestkhaag
Give our best wishes, hopes and prayers to your niece and her husband. A very good friend of mine survived two stints as a Ranger in Vietnam only to be struck, later in life, with a very rare form of leukemia. He was supposed to not have much chance.

Some time after his last chemotherapy, Susan and I went down the Grand Canyon for 7 days and nights with him and his girlfriend. He and I manned the front of the raft every day thru the class 5 rapids soaking wet and howling with joy. There is always hope.

76-914
I finally received the correct part from DanMar and the lift is working great w/ no leaks. So I put the car on the lift, removed the clutch dust sheild and to my surprise there wasn't any indication that the leak was from the trans front seal nor the engines rear main seal. WTF.gif Apparently my diagnosis was totally incorrect. Previously when the leak occured I had parked it on a 4.6 degree incline and it sure felt like 90w. Maybe I wanted to believe that was it! confused24.gif I jumped the gun this AM and drained the oil and gear oil before I had identified the source so I put the oils back in and lifted the rear to 6.5 degree slope trying to emulate the previous leakage. Nothing except the oil filter leaking. I'll keep a close eye on that one. If that's it it is an easy repair. So I backed it out and parked it in the same location where it previously leaked. Same result as when it was on the lift at 6.5 degree. Well, Shit fire and save matches! Because of the containers that I used to catch the fluids I determined that I'm a qt low on engine oil and about the same on the transmission. I took it for a few "baby" trips and still no leaks. Other than the oil filter that is. I then took it for a few accelerated runs and noticed this ubiquitous squeal that went away after a few miles. confused24.gif Hmmm. Next step is to bring the fluid levels back up and go thru the same process. Or I can just drive it until it breaks. Much easier to diagnose at that pointe, eh? While driving I finally tried out the 0-60 feature on the Speedhut speedo. I didn't break the tires in 1st but punched it after I began rolling. 5.5 sec's in 280ft. Not too bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.