Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One Lap of America Tech
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
stevegm
I haven't spent much time in this forum. But, I think it is time to learn a little over here. My oldest son and I are thinking about doing the 2017 One Lap of America. I have lots of tech questions, that I thought might be better suited to the racing forum, rather than bog the other thread down.

Cracker mentioned that I should pick up an "H" gear. Can someone explain what an "H" gear is? I also have some questions about suggested gearing, and determine the RPMs I will have to run on these larger tracks, as well as traveling on highways between tracks.

Also, we are considering running a 2056cc, four in the race. I am concerned about durability. Jake Raby indicated that I should be particularly concerned about the valve train holding up. Any advice with respect to putting that motor through the grueling OLOA is appreciated.
campbellcj
The "H" gear would be a specific different ratio (19:32) for 2nd gear. I can't speak for why Cracker made that particular recommendation but definitely it makes sense to gear the car as optimally as you can for the desired road/track application (and tires). Finding some of the 901/914 gears can be tough and expensive though.

There's a super helpful gear spreadsheet around here of which I have a copy in my dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3xz4hjintxx3ra/9...Gears.xlsx?dl=0

I do not know who created this and do not take personal credit for it although I'm sure I have tweaked this copy somewhat. If the creator is on World...thank you and pray.gif
mepstein
I thought the H gear was to flip for 5th gear as a highway gear. Lower the rpm's.
campbellcj
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2016, 03:38 AM) *

I thought the H gear was to flip for 5th gear as a highway gear. Lower the rpm's.

I 'spose that works too. I did the the opposite: A ZD 5th flipped to become a 22:31 3rd, customarily called a Ka.
jd74914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 22 2016, 05:38 AM) *

It is (well, one use at least)...

In a car with a TIV you probably want to avoid changing to an H since it'll keep engine speeds pretty low on the highway. I'd be afraid of overheating without adequate fan flow.
stevegm
The two issues we are working on right now are valve train durability and figuring out how to install a hitch on the 914 for a very small trailer.

If anybody has experience with Type IV big valve heads and beefed up valve train, I would appreciate hearing your comments/suggestions.

Same with the hitch - if you have ideas, I'd love to hear them.
bulitt
Possibly Jamie Rust (Jrust first pic) or TC (carr914) can help-2nd pic ?

IPB Image

IPB Image
hermich
OLOA 2017 schedule is out
stevegm
QUOTE(hermich @ Oct 1 2016, 11:16 AM) *

OLOA 2017 schedule is out

Where? I can't seem to find it.
hermich
My mistake...not out yet, but getting close I think.
Cracker
...well not officially. Longer than last year...trying to make it harder. slap.gif

Cracker

QUOTE(hermich @ Oct 1 2016, 05:26 PM) *

stevegm
Can you share what your hearing?

Also as we get more serious about this this issue has arisen - how do we feel about running the narrow body 914 on the types of big tracks that are normally on the schedule without a tube roll bar/cage? Any comments are appreciated.

QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 1 2016, 10:01 PM) *

...well not officially. Longer than last year...trying to make it harder. slap.gif

Cracker

Cracker
No I can't Steve. Regarding the safety concern...you could easily ride a tricycle on the tracks. Driver awareness and maturity to know what they can do (and the car equally importantly) is the issue. If the goal is to finish the event, the on-track driving should be a reflection of that.

t

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 1 2016, 11:09 PM) *

Also as we get more serious about this this issue has arisen - how do we feel about running the narrow body 914 on the types of big tracks that are normally on the schedule without a tube roll bar/cage? Any comments are appreciated.

Cracker

stevegm
Good point Tony.

QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 2 2016, 06:43 AM) *

No I can't Steve. Regarding the safety concern...you could easily ride a tricycle on the tracks. Driver awareness and maturity to know what they can do (and the car equally importantly) is the issue. If the goal is to finish the event, the on-track driving should be a reflection of that.

t

QUOTE(stevegm @ Oct 1 2016, 11:09 PM) *

Cracker

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.