Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I really need the TPS?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rruffer
My completely stock '76 had some constant throttle surging. The TPS circuit board looked worn, and the problem went away when I disconnected the plug to the TPS. So I installed a new TPS circuit board, calibrated it (using the resistance test and multiple tweak-then-test drive attempts), and the surging is worse! I disconnected the TPS again, and the cars runs great. No backfires--just a slight lag on throttle pick up from idle. Much easier to live with than the surging.

So my question is whether I really need the TPS? Any harm with running it permanently disconnected? I can play with it more and maybe try a new circuit board, but should I bother?

Thanks!
pbanders
QUOTE(rruffer @ Sep 18 2016, 04:27 PM) *

My completely stock '76 had some constant throttle surging. The TPS circuit board looked worn, and the problem went away when I disconnected the plug to the TPS. So I installed a new TPS circuit board, calibrated it (using the resistance test and multiple tweak-then-test drive attempts), and the surging is worse! I disconnected the TPS again, and the cars runs great. No backfires--just a slight lag on throttle pick up from idle. Much easier to live with than the surging.

So my question is whether I really need the TPS? Any harm with running it permanently disconnected? I can play with it more and maybe try a new circuit board, but should I bother?

Thanks!

If you don't care about the decrease in power under acceleration, you don't have to use the TPS.

Your surging problem may be due to other causes than the TPS. I was convinced about 6 months ago that my TPS was faulty and causing irregular surging that I noted. Turned out it was a poor connection between the CHT spade connector and the wiring harness. Because the spade connector in the harness is hidden deep inside the plastic shell, it's easy to think you have it connected correctly when you actually have it trapped between the plastic and the connector. Once I finally got it right, no surging.

It could also be ignition problems, such as a sticky points plate. Regardless, make sure that the TPS is actually the source of the problem before disconnecting it.
PancakePorsche
+1
Yes. you need it.
It has one contact that energizes the idle mixture control (knob on ECU)
it also has a WOT contact for proper ECU function under high load.
It will not accelerate properly because it is like disconnecting the pump on a carburetor. No enrichment on excel. will be a slug.

Find the root cause and keep your car enjoyable to drive. I have had surging issues even with new Bosch TPS so check distributor ignition points plate (advancer) AND the injector trigger points in it carefully.
rruffer
Thanks both. I'll keep working on it!
pbanders
QUOTE(PancakePorsche @ Sep 18 2016, 10:25 PM) *

+1
Yes. you need it.
It has one contact that energizes the idle mixture control (knob on ECU)
it also has a WOT contact for proper ECU function under high load.
It will not accelerate properly because it is like disconnecting the pump on a carburetor. No enrichment on excel. will be a slug.

Find the root cause and keep your car enjoyable to drive. I have had surging issues even with new Bosch TPS so check distributor ignition points plate (advancer) AND the injector trigger points in it carefully.

Pancake is right, I forgot the idle contact! Gotta have that, regardless. However, there is no active TPS WOT contact on the 914 TPS's. The early T3's that used D-Jet had such a contact, but the 914's use the later dual-diaphragm MPS that handles the transition to WOT in a more linear fashion than the on/off contact of the early TPS's did.
Tastyplacement
edit: wrong thread...I am an idiot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.