Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Fog Light Bulb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
S**t do I have to pull the front bumper to replace a burned out fog light bulb on '70 914-6?
edrotol
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Sep 18 2016, 05:47 PM) *

S**t do I have to pull the front bumper to replace a burned out fog light bulb on '70 914-6?

Pull the fog light grille out, you can then access the whole fog light assembly. Pull out the top black surround. To do that there is little thingamajig held by a little screw just above the light mount, unscrew that screw, the thingamajig will move out and then you can pull out the top black surround and keep on removing parts until you see the bulb.

An easier way is to pull the whole assembly after you pull the fog light grille out and you can work on it on a bench.

Hope this helps.
jkb944t
You should be able to remove the fog light grill once the four screws are removed. This will give you enough room to pry the outer fog light lens ring outward exposing the bulb behind the lens.

This is the the bulb info:

Click to view attachment

Jeff B
GeorgeRud
Is there a LED bulb that would replace the Hella bulb? It would be great to use these as daytime running lights.
dangrouche
BTDT. yes, good idea. I gutted my fog lamp and retrofitted angel rings of LEDs to accomplish what you just stated. that bulb is so old school I dont think there has been a demand for anyone to make such a unit.
jkb944t
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 18 2016, 06:15 PM) *

Is there a LED bulb that would replace the Hella bulb? It would be great to use these as daytime running lights.

agree.gif

I have the Stoddard LED headlights and the original fog light bulb looks funny with the LED headlights.

Jeff B
eric9144
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Sep 18 2016, 07:15 PM) *

An LED version of a BA-20S ...seems impossible to find someone retailing them, although there are pictures of them out there on the internet.
pbanders
FWIW, I fitted H3 driving lights instead of fogs some time ago, there's an article on my web page. However, I just bought a set of the lights below, LED spots, and I'm going to swap out my H3's. If it works out, I'll post some pics and a description of what I did. I received the lights today and they seem to be very good quality, and produce a ton of light at 12V. Will find out if it's truly spot beam when I get them mounted and test them on the road. 1.45 A at 12 V (17.4 W) each. Gotta admit the price is right: $14 for a PAIR. Diameter looks perfect for the factory fog grilles.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAR0...=UTF8&psc=1
Dave_Darling
IF everything is in the right place and hasn't been messed with, there should be a gap on the bottom of the bumper that allows a screwdriver to access the screw that holds the lens on the fog light. The screw is loosened and then the bottom of the lens assembly swings outward, and then comes off the top as well.

Failing that, take the grilles off. You can see in and around a lot easier.

My grilles were held on with regular screws and nuts, so I could not remove them without removing the bumper. So I had to remove the whole bumper. Fortunately, it's only four big bolts to pull it.

--DD
Mike Fitton
Screw it. I just pulled the bumper no way to get at it any other way.
dangrouche
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 19 2016, 10:56 AM) *

An LED version of a BA-20S ...seems impossible to find someone retailing them, although there are pictures of them out there on the internet.

here it is. Just wait long enough and someone will make it!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6-80V-12W-H-L-L...725.m3641.l6368
Larmo63
I pretty much just pull the bumper for fog light work. After many times of doing it, I think that it is easier.

It keeps your mechanical skills honed….
eric9144
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Sep 19 2016, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 19 2016, 10:56 AM) *

here it is. Just wait long enough and someone will make it!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6-80V-12W-H-L-L...725.m3641.l6368

Wrong bulb--that's a "D" for dual (note the two spades on the bottom--the correct light is a "S" where it has a single connection at the base like a bulb in a house lamp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.