Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Blue Plate Special
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Whitney Mic
Well, I bought a nice car the other day, and didn't have to go to New Jersey for it, either.

That car... well, I'll be nice for now and just say it wasn't as represented... It was well worth the fee to a good mechanic on the spot who could tell me why I didn't want *that* car.

So I didn't go 3,000 miles across the country. Instead, I had to go almost 75 miles over the hill to Redwood City. I bought this nice '74 from Rich at HPH:

Click to view attachment

It looks pretty much rust free, here's the firewall when it was on the rack

Click to view attachment

There is a spot by the battery where a PO cut a hole where a connector is supposed to be, there is a bit of rust there

Click to view attachment

It was a 2.0L engine, it has been rebuilt with a higher cam, so it wouldn't take the stock FI. Rich thinks it's 2.2L now. All I know is it is a lot faster than the 1.8 I crashed (look out deer, I'm back).

I also found one of the few books that would be more valuable if someone wrote something in it... An original owner's manual for the car was in the glove compartment

I think I bought a good car. I am currently replacing seals around the body, nothing too bad, but a few cracks, and I don't want to let something get started rusting that I can't fix.

Yes, I know it's a 914 and it will rust just looking at it; I've seen the threads...

I am also going to take out the aftermarket center console, and have the bits to replace it with the 914.Rubber.com version. Thanks, Mikey!!

The small snag I have hit installing the new console is that I don't have the larger VDO gauges anymore (I knew I should have made a deal for them when I sold the wreck headbang.gif ). I am using the 3-D printer to make a ring that will fit the smaller gauge and angle it at 30° towards me as I drive.

I plan to keep it mostly stock, the doors came pre-drilled and with mirrors attached, so I won't be buying any bikie mirrors from Amazon... I will want to update the tech a little bit, I want to have a radio that works with a phone, just in case. I hope to do that in a way that would look proper to the era and hide the installation from potential thieves.

I have some ideas, if I can create what I have conceived, I will share the results and maybe (don't know if I have the chops) do a thread on my audio install project...

Stay tuned and keep driving!

Click to view attachment

-- Whit
ndfrigi
Like the color and match to the wheels! Looks like the previous owner replaced the tunnel fuel lines to braided rubber fuel lines instead of stainless steel. I was thinking using that before but i invested on ss line.
JustinMeier
Nice car! beerchug.gif
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Whitney Mic @ Sep 18 2016, 08:47 PM) *

Well, I bought a nice car the other day, and didn't have to go to New Jersey for it, either.

That car... well, I'll be nice for now and just say it wasn't as represented... It was well worth the fee to a good mechanic on the spot who could tell me why I didn't want *that* car.

So I didn't go 3,000 miles across the country. Instead, I had to go almost 75 miles over the hill to Redwood City. I bought this nice '74 from Rich at HPH:

Click to view attachment

It looks pretty much rust free, here's the firewall when it was on the rack

Click to view attachment
Nice car....your firewall looks like a virgin compared to mine.
There is a spot by the battery where a PO cut a hole where a connector is supposed to be, there is a bit of rust there

Click to view attachment

It was a 2.0L engine, it has been rebuilt with a higher cam, so it wouldn't take the stock FI. Rich thinks it's 2.2L now. All I know is it is a lot faster than the 1.8 I crashed (look out deer, I'm back).

I also found one of the few books that would be more valuable if someone wrote something in it... An original owner's manual for the car was in the glove compartment

I think I bought a good car. I am currently replacing seals around the body, nothing too bad, but a few cracks, and I don't want to let something get started rusting that I can't fix.

Yes, I know it's a 914 and it will rust just looking at it; I've seen the threads...

I am also going to take out the aftermarket center console, and have the bits to replace it with the 914.Rubber.com version. Thanks, Mikey!!

The small snag I have hit installing the new console is that I don't have the larger VDO gauges anymore (I knew I should have made a deal for them when I sold the wreck headbang.gif ). I am using the 3-D printer to make a ring that will fit the smaller gauge and angle it at 30° towards me as I drive.

I plan to keep it mostly stock, the doors came pre-drilled and with mirrors attached, so I won't be buying any bikie mirrors from Amazon... I will want to update the tech a little bit, I want to have a radio that works with a phone, just in case. I hope to do that in a way that would look proper to the era and hide the installation from potential thieves.

I have some ideas, if I can create what I have conceived, I will share the results and maybe (don't know if I have the chops) do a thread on my audio install project...

Stay tuned and keep driving!

Click to view attachment

-- Whit

Whitney Mic
Thanks!

I like the clear signals and markers on the silver paint. The side markers are less striking than the amber lenses.

I know that I have to learn how to work on a car again...

This is the second car I have owned that looks "new." This one is much nicer than the Honda Civic.

Other than the two 914's and the Civic, everything I have owned was econoboxy, and not worth much more than keeping oil in and if I had the chance, and tools, a tune up.

The one help I have is that the only car I have really worked on was a 66 Squareback, but that was more than half a lifetime ago, and I never could get the damn Solex 32's to synch.

I did rebuild the top end with the help of a friend's driveway, took about three months. I wasn't really into the mechanic aspect, but the job needed doing, I couldn't afford to have it done, and I needed a car, so I did it, and except for shooting one circlip for the piston rod attachment off the tool and into the block (cross your fingers and turn the key, my friend said), I did okay. The clip was stuck to the magnetic pin on the sump nut when I changed the break in oil.

Like I say, I wasn't a mech, and pretty much had to get the car moving, anyway.

All of that is just to let folks know that I *will* be asking some really dumb questions about working on my car.

I want to keep this one completely un-dented, and running as best I can. I have to get at the smallest jobs fast, so that they don't become the kind of thing that needs a shop to sort out. I'm counting on catching my own issues by watching what happens to others in the World. (what, you don't do that?)

I will need a lot of luck, and you guys will probably need a lot of patience.

bye1.gif

-- Whit
Coondog
Congrats, hope you made a deal with Rich that you can buy parts from him at 50% off. HPH should have every part you will ever need.
Cairo94507
Glad to hear you found a nice local car. Keep us posted.
EdwardBlume
Congrats!
napasteve
Nice car. I like the cookie cutters.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.