Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator assistance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke15
H- My 1972 914 (1.7) just had a light pop up on the dashboard with a circled "g" on it. I know that means there is something wrong with my charging system.
I am hoping it does not need a new alternator as I understand the labor for this is quite expensive. What is my case scenario to fix this?

How do I know if I really need an alternator? If I do, does my mechanic have to drop the engine to fix it?

Thanks.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Luke15 @ Sep 19 2016, 03:54 AM) *

H- My 1972 914 (1.7) just had a light pop up on the dashboard with a circled "g" on it. I know that means there is something wrong with my charging system.
I am hoping it does not need a new alternator as I understand the labor for this is quite expensive. What is my case scenario to fix this?

How do I know if I really need an alternator? If I do, does my mechanic have to drop the engine to fix it?

Thanks.

Check to see if the belt is still spinning the alternator....with the engine OFF you can feel the belt tension reaching in the front of the fan opening....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.