Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinders running too hot?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
In my effort to replace push rod tubes and manifold studs;

While taking off my tins I had no problem with the screws, except the two on the cylinder head behind the oil cooler. Both pan head screws are in tight, to the point that I snapped on off and the other is pretty well destroyed.
These are the two that are down next to the intake manifold.
Several days of soaking with penetrant and even a little heat, still no luck.

I also noticed that when I took the valve cover off on that side that there was a pretty strong odor that I didn't get when I took the valve cover off on the other side.
Plus, the gasket on the smelly side was very "gummy".

It seems to me that this is heat related and most likely that side of the engine is getting too hot.
What would be causing this?
Is it common?
Before I put the engine back together and back into the car I'd like to resolve whatever the problem is.

The car is a 71 1.8 and has 91,000 miles and I'm pretty sure its never been apart.

I've never driven the car but it did run and seemed to run well.

TIA.
Steve
Perry Kiehl Clone
Do you have the engine sheet metal off the engine? I will guess that you have something on the cooling fins. Mouse nest, oil/dirt smeg, a rag. Another thing I've seen is the cooling flaps not properly oriented.
injunmort
i have found the best way to remove the screws for the tins is to heat them pretty good and whack them with an impact driver, they will yield. gasket being gummy suggests a silicon gasket as opposed to a cork gasket which the factory used. i have never had any luck with the silicon gaskets. i would not go by gasket consistency as to be a gauge of heat. if it ran well, replace gaskets with cork, drill out the buggered screws and rethread. no such thing as 1971 1.8l. either a 1.7l or 2.0l six. it has been apart at least for valve adjustments, hence the gaskets.
74ravenna
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Sep 19 2016, 08:37 PM) *

Do you have the engine sheet metal off the engine? I will guess that you have something on the cooling fins. Mouse nest, oil/dirt smeg, a rag. Another thing I've seen is the cooling flaps not properly oriented.

Yes the sheet metal is off now. I disconnected the cooling flaps but i didn't think to check their orientation.

Thanks
Steve
74ravenna
"no such thing as 1971 1.8l"

Typo! I meant 74 1.8

"It has been apart at least for valve adjustments, hence the gaskets."

Ok, thanks.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.