Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay 914 Scammer Charged
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cdmcse
Wonder what car this was???

Ebay Scammer

The 914 gets no respect...

"You can't call a (1972 Porsche 914) a collectible because they were mass- produced," Williams said. "Something like this gives eBay and the car industry a bad name. Porsche has had a tremendous problem with (Internet) brokers."

Allan
This is good.

Made in Germany, new Porsches range in price from $40,000 up to $500,000, depending on models and optional features.

Yum.
Mueller
QUOTE (cdmcse @ Apr 16 2005, 08:24 PM)
Wonder what car this was???

Ebay Scammer

The 914 gets no respect...

"You can't call a (1972 Porsche 914) a collectible because they were mass- produced," Williams said. "Something like this gives eBay and the car industry a bad name. Porsche has had a tremendous problem with (Internet) brokers."

what an A-hole that Williams guy is.......I hope he lists a "regular" 911 as a collectible, then turn him in for "fraud", hahaha

the other 2 people need to be taken out to a field and dealt with accordingly smash.gif
Joe Bob
Someone should tell that moron Porsche dealer that 914s were hand built...not like those faggy plastic water pumping POShits he sells now....typical Florida weaseldick...bet he voted absentee and they shredded his vote.....

But hey...I could be wrong.....

GET THIS....

Steve Williams, general manager of Porsche of Naples, the only Porsche dealer in Southwest Florida, said his dealership sells used cars on eBay, but they include many photographs and a complete car history.

Porsche Club member Gary Karnes of Naples said those who want to buy a Porsche prefer dealing with a club member or a dealership because they can see what they're getting.

"The 914s were kind of on the lower end in price at the time, but those prices sound extremely low to me," Karnes said. "What they could have received was a pile of junk."
914fire
bet Karnes opinion of 914s is that they're not porsches at all but just VWs with lockwashers.....prick... ar15.gif
Hammy
Screw what Williams says... German is German to me. smilie_pokal.gif
GWN7
I wonder if one of them was that Bumble Bee car that was listed? I think it sold for about that price .
cdmcse
One of the Florida 914clubers should go there to look at new porsches, asking for that guy of course, the proceed to talk about how great the 914s are compared to the modern cars. finger.gif
JeffBowlsby
Well now isnt this interesting...

Occasional poster Dave Hastings has had his hands on several 914 LE cars...

Here is the most recent one...Craig thsi is the same car that you saw in Pano...

Bumblebee 14787

Rouser met Dave once...ripped the car he had FS pretty good too....Sounds like a few displeased customers caught up with Dave and his Mrs.

Moral: Be truthful about what you have for sale and don't exaggerate...
Brad Roberts
I know the lady who owned that car while it was in Texas. She bought it from a guy on the east coast.. who bought it from a "guy" in Tenn (who happens to sell a lot of LE's).. I remember it clearly. She brought it to my Texas shop and I told her it wasnt a real LE. She had bought from a me a very original Ravenna green car a year or so before locating this heap. It had a ton of rust in the passenger side frame rail. All of the people on the BBS who attended the 1999 MUSR met her. A 18 wheeler hit her in the door on the way to the event (while driving the Ravenna green car)

I forget her name... we called her "Antenna Lady" because she had a MR2 with 15+ HAM radio antenna's hanging off it. She also worked with Lyressa's mom at Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Irving, TX.

Small world.

B
Steve
All of us know that any 914 that is in good condition and not a rust bucket is a collectable.
Sad to say since the 914 was a cheap car not to many people took care of them over the years.
Good news is there is not to many left that are in good condition which will drive the price up.
Hopefully this will cause people to take better care of them and or restore them.
MecGen
I bought the autotrader this morning...
64 Valliant 4 door 6k
81 El Camino 14k
72 Pontiac Parisian Convertable 12k

I'm gonna ask 20K then....Clubs are the only way to buy a hobbie

thanx for the heads up, I buy lots of tools on Ebay, so far, so good. Found a couple Ford 60pin Bob...
Later...
Joe

beerchug.gif
baldhippie1
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 16 2005, 09:51 PM)

Here is the most recent one...Craig thsi is the same car that you saw in Pano...

Bumblebee 14787

Rouser met Dave once...ripped the car he had FS pretty good too....Sounds like a few displeased customers caught up with Dave and his Mrs.

Moral:  Be truthful about what you have for sale and don't exaggerate...

Thanks for all your support...

Facts: Sold a 72 custom job to a "Fruit" cop. Sent before and after pics, offered to have 3 state troopers I personally know inspect the car for him-declined. Sent 25 emails during restoration, had my mechanic drive the car 600 miles on a flat bed for $150. Declined the car, his wife did not like it, sent refund check via fed ex with tracking number provided. He charged back his credit card (fully refunded) resold the car for $3200 two weeks later (who chargedback and fully paid and still has my car) and was charge with the crime... Another 72 sold weeks later, buyer flew into Tampa drove 900 miles to NC and sends me email 2 months later stating the "car is not drivable" and wants refund. Starts chargeback proceedings (gets fully refunded) and still has the car.

WHO GOT SCAMMED???

Can you say "wrongful prosecution" or civil lawsuit?...

Moral: Stay the Hell of Ebay!!!!

I would like to know who "Rouser" is since he has met me....
CptTripps
....here we go...

::: grabbing Lawn-Chair to watch :::

w00t.gif
orange914jeff
It is easy to find the P of Naples website. I did. If you drill down, the 914 is listed as a Classic Porsche along with 356, 959, 911 Turbo, 924, 928 plus Racing vehivles where I did not look. I sent a nice (maybe not so nice) email to sales asking Mr. Williams to clarify his 914 comment. I had to give my land address and email address along with my times available for test driving ( i put TODAY). Message indicated as sent.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 16 2005, 07:33 PM)
Someone should tell that moron Porsche dealer that 914s were hand built

Sorry Mikey, but our beloved 914's were not "hand built" any more than VW's were.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 17 2005, 08:16 AM)
I know the lady who owned that car while it was in Texas. She bought it from a guy on the east coast.. who bought it from a "guy" in Tenn (who happens to sell a lot of LE's)

Elaine Cerney is her name, very enthusiastic 914'er for many years, IIRC she won the tech session quiz that year.

Not 100% on this, but I think she got that so called LE from a independent Porsche shop in Knoxville. I know the name of the guy and the shop, but I'm not sure on the facts so I'm not posting it.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Apr 30 2005, 04:43 AM)
....here we go...

::: grabbing Lawn-Chair to watch :::

w00t.gif

Pass the Cazadores..... cool_shades.gif
LvSteveH
Seems more like a case for civil court to me. Misunderstandings or even unintentional misrepresentations do not constitute criminal activity. Regardless of what happened, it seems wrong to post a story and mug shots in the local paper based on accusations. In theory, something like this could happen to any of us who have ever sold a car.

I try to over disclose when I'm selling a car and assume the buyer may not know what to look for, so I show them the strong and weak points and how the price was arrived at.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (9146986 @ Apr 30 2005, 05:40 AM)
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 16 2005, 07:33 PM)
Someone should tell that moron Porsche dealer that 914s were hand built

Sorry Mikey, but our beloved 914's were not "hand built" any more than VW's were.

So how do you account for the fenderwell discrepancies and other oddball items if not attributtal to human error?
CptTripps
However this unfolds, I think we ALL learned in the past few months, that you can't believe everything the news reports.

Innocent until proven guilty...regardless of what the media says.
kenporacer
Not collectables because they were mass produced huh?
Early Mustangs, Vettes ect.. Are they considered collectible or classic and what would constitute the difference between those cars & the 914.
The way I see it, the 914 is a collectible because it is out of production & around here any way getting very rare. So I think we are all collectors (obviously), of a rare car with a unique design. And I also enjoy the looks & questions from people that have no idea what I'm driving. Collectible? Classic? I say both. & btw most of the people that make Floridians look stupid are usually from some place else. Because there aren't many of us real Floridians around.
E
baldhippie1
It gets even better....You know all those crime shows where they bring in the accused for questioning...NOT ON THIS ONE. They did not even ask to hear my side of the story, or look at my documentation (3 buyers that have been fully refunded and still have the cars). They just arrest you in front of your neighbors,friend, and kids (5) put you on the 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11pm news along with the front page of the local paper. Get you fired from your job (6 figure) over 2-33 year old 914 that you sold for a total of $6700.

Take a minute to look at the thread for my BB ad I placed on ebay and read the detail I gave...Short novel...Surely I shouldn't be found guilty of any disclosure issues...

Like most of you, I used to enjoy coming home from work heading out to the garage and tinkering on my 914's with my kids....Now they just sit and collect dust while my neighbors and friends gossip about me....

That is the 12 step recovery program for all our 914 addictions... Sell a car to a "Fruit Cop" with an attitude!!!
seanery
what is a "Fruit Cop"? confused24.gif
Joe Bob
A Police Officer that is "light in the loafers"?
TJB/914

What is a person who sends a personal check (for full payment) to a local MI guy selling his 914-6 and the check is worthless (no money, it bounced). Person claimed he was a serious buyer.

Moral of the story:
It's not me, the other people are bad. confused24.gif confused24.gif

Tom
LvSteveH
I would say the ebay ad on the Bumble Bee seems a bit sensational. It seems like the car is being sold much more than it is being described. I am always leery of those types of descriptions. Any good buyer knows that no car is perfect, and doesn’t expect it to be. By hyping the car this way it opens the door for a naïve buyer to say they were deceived.

Having owned more 914's than I care to admit, I can say I have yet to have one that didn’t have at least a few surprises upon close inspection. If the car is really “concourse ready” after having the dash replaced, then it is surely a bargain at that price.

Can you imagine if someone bought the car, gave it a good detail, and brought it to a major show? How would it fare? They bought it under the impression that it could be a competitive show car once the dash is replaced. Based on that representation, they would have a valid claim against the seller if the car was not competitive.

In this litigious society you have to cover your ass, and in the end it also helps you sleep better knowing you did the right thing. Many of the cars I have bought were misrepresented in one way or another, and honestly at this point I feel like it’s shame on me for not being more thorough prior to purchase. Most people don’t think that way.

We always see “rust free” 914’s for sale, and many people actually think their cars are rust free. Ungalvanized steel, a few factory design flaws, and 30 years assure that there are indeed very few rust free cars.

The more you know about cars, the more you are required to disclose. The ignorant have a very low burden to satisfy. By knowing a lot about 914’s it becomes ethically and perhaps legally necessary to disclose more information about the condition of the car.

Why would you send a refund to someone who still has the car ?? Sorry this post is so long, it’s just an interesting subject.

Good Luck.
Rouser
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 17 2005, 01:51 AM)

Bumblebee 14787

Moral: Be truthful about what you have for sale and don't exaggerate...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif THAT'S HIM!!!!!!! Mr. WON'T-LET-ME-DRIVE-THE-LE; a serious buttwipe!

Paul (URY914), you shoulda been there with me when I did a PPI on this guy's LE. This guy talked so much BS about how he was affiliated with some PCA big-wigs/members, and questioned my ability to inspect that LE with any historical intellegence. He was even crawling around another Sky Blue 914 while I crawled arounld the LE.

Serves him right; wow, his ol' lady too. This duo had kids; wonder what it was like to watch Mommy & Daddy gettin' cuffed and hauled off to a 10 x 12? His wife wasn't half-bad; hope he doesn't mind being bitched by his cell mate!
Rouser
QUOTE (baldhippie1 @ Apr 30 2005, 06:57 AM)
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 16 2005, 09:51 PM)

Bumblebee 14787

Moral:  Be truthful about what you have for sale and don't exaggerate...

Thanks for all your support...

Facts: Sold a 72 custom job to a "Fruit" cop. Sent before and after pics, offered to have 3 state troopers I personally know inspect the car for him-declined. Sent 25 emails during restoration, had my mechanic drive the car 600 miles on a flat bed for $150. Declined the car, his wife did not like it, sent refund check via fed ex with tracking number provided. He charged back his credit card (fully refunded) resold the car for $3200 two weeks later (who chargedback and fully paid and still has my car) and was charge with the crime... Another 72 sold weeks later, buyer flew into Tampa drove 900 miles to NC and sends me email 2 months later stating the "car is not drivable" and wants refund. Starts chargeback proceedings (gets fully refunded) and still has the car.

WHO GOT SCAMMED???

Can you say "wrongful prosecution" or civil lawsuit?...

Moral: Stay the Hell of Ebay!!!!

I would like to know who "Rouser" is since he has met me....

Right here, guy ...

Remember when I drove down to do a PPI on an LE you had on eBay a couple of times ($14K reserve-not-met, than $12K reserve-not-met)? Guess you were pricing it to retire. rolleyes.gif You know, the friendly, courteous, professional-acting guy in the silver minivan, who took all the digital pics?

You know, the one you fed the crapola story about it being originally owned by some PCA guy up North of us (TN, I believe?), who auto-x it and did the single-Weber abortion mod ("Gives it that true Porsche sound and power.")? Next came the BS insurance excuse so's I couldn't test-drive the car, while you took me out in it on a tour of Ft. Myers WITH NO @#%& PLATES or REGISTRATION! You still have that early T-2 bus project in the garage? On your second marriage, right? Oh, NOW you remember me ...

Than you start panning me (by email; wanna READ 'EM?) to the prospective bidder (Mike in CT) who asked for the PPI in the first place, trying to make me look like some jackass who doesn't know what an LE is, let ALONE a 914 (I told you I owned two). Well, Mike didn't "bite" (as most others), and you eventually sold it much later at-a-loss (yeah, right) for 'bout $8K. Pity you didn't tell the buyer the wipers didn't work; poor guy found that out somewhere up in the FL Panhandle. Guess I might've pointed that out (along with the rust-through in the passenger's side), had I been allowed to TEST-DRIVE IT.

Sorry to hear about you losing your 6-figure-per-year job but, don't blame eBay; there are mirrors in your house, right?
Rouser
Remember?

CptTripps
Like I said....this is getting good. lol2.gif
Rouser
Or maybe this pile of LE over-priced nostalgia?

Joe Bob
He must be an AA afilliate....
Rouser
QUOTE (baldhippie1 @ May 1 2005, 07:51 AM)
1 - They just arrest you in front of your neighbors, friends, and kids (5) put you on the 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11pm news along with the front page of the local paper.

2 - Get you fired from your job (6 figure) over 2-33 year old 914 that you sold for a total of $6700.

1 - That's called a perp walk; pretty effective, don't you think? Pity your kids had to see that; they're always the ones who suffer the most.

2 - Guess the 6-figure job wasn't enough? Had to resort to flippin' 914's to make end's meet?

Fruit cop; boy, is THAT statement going to go over great with law enforcement here in FL, especially after Jessica Lundsford, Sarah Michelle Lunde, and every predator they have to follow up on.

Scoring major points, dude ...
mistro
Hey Roy, how you doing? I wasn't going to say anything when I first read this post. Even when I read Jeff's post early on... and was motivated to post to confirm but didn't get to it. So for the record, I'm the one who setup a PPI between Roy and Dreamcatcher, aka as BaldHippie1, last year in approximately June and I have lots of emails to collaborate. Anyway Roy's inspection really turned me off on this car and Dreamcatcher. Too bad about the guy in Louisiana who bought this POS (LE) from this POS (Dreamcatcher), last I heard he was trying to sell it on ebay... Anyway my Orange 73 2.0 That Roy help setup for me and buy (with no significant financial return to him) is running strong. I made the right decision on who to trust and what to buy. Rgds, Michael
tat2dphreak
sorry, I'm just seeing this thread...

what collectible cars AREN't mass-produced? a few italian cars? prototypes?

the beetle is the most mass-produced car in history, yet still collectible...

mustangs have rolled off assembly lines in drove, still collectible...

who does this cock-sucker think he is? obviously not a true car-lover...

our cars may not be the most highly sought after porsche or VW, but they aren't freakin hondas! and there was a large portion of our cars that was hand-assembled in the Karmann plants... like ghias, not beetles...

I agree, this thread is getting good... where's that popcorn chomping smiley?
CptTripps
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 3 2005, 09:16 AM)
I agree, this thread is getting good... where's that popcorn chomping smiley?

I'm here looking for a lawn-chair smiley too...

user posted image
user posted image
IronHillRestorations
Yes, very interesting!

So Baldhippie1 (aka Dreamcatcher - why do you need two screen names???) must actually have an evil twin!! Yea thats it, an evil twin! Why else would anyone earning over $100,000.00 (unless he counts six figures WITH the zeros after the decimal point) put himself in the position of doing something against the law, with a profit margin the size of your monthly tax liability (that is based on your $100k+ annual earnings)???

If the buyers have the car and the money, how in the world did Baldhippie1 (aka Dreamcatcher - ever notice how people that don't play by the rules tend to have aka's or ALIASES??) get arrested? Yet another wrongful action by the cops against a innocent 914 enthusiast?

There isn't any law that prohibits a guy from offering a piece of junk as a great collectable. I think this is how the "caveat emptor" thing came to be a loooonng time ago. However illegal misrepresentation of a motor vehicle is in fact a criminal offense in some states.
mistro
To be fair... Dreamcatcher is his ebay id, Baldhippie1 is his club id... Still in my book not a nice person. Rgds, Michael
Rouser
QUOTE (mistro @ May 2 2005, 11:32 PM)
Hey Roy, how you doing? I wasn't going to say anything when I first read this post. Even when I read Jeff's post early on... and was motivated to post to confirm but didn't get to it. So for the record, I'm the one who setup a PPI between Roy and Dreamcatcher, aka as BaldHippie1, last year in approximately June and I have lots of emails to collaborate.  Anyway Roy's inspection really turned me off on this car and Dreamcatcher. Too bad about the guy in Louisiana who bought this POS (LE) from this POS (Dreamcatcher), last I heard he was trying to sell it on ebay... Anyway my Orange 73 2.0 That Roy help setup for me and buy (with no significant financial return to him) is running strong. I made the right decision on who to trust and what to buy. Rgds, Michael

Thanks, Mike; appreciate the post/clarification. I didn't want to reveal any parties involved without their permission; privacy, ya know. I'm glad the '73 is working out for you; that connection wasn't even planned in any way.

Mind you, Mike's a BIG & TALL guy (still have a crick in my neck), and when I met him I was looking for the additional joint he was going to need to fold himself behind the wheel of a 914! But he had a love for owning one, and shipped it back to CT. I can't see it even being driven with the top on!
mistro
Yeah at 6'7'', I'm probably one of the tallest 914 owners but it works, with the top on too, although if I ever autocross, seat bottom comes out. Needed smaller Momo steering wheel and I had James Adams create a Rennshift with the shifter moved about 2" to the left and I fit! Smaller wheel works even better. Love the car!!! Rgds, Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.