Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigFour1973
Hello, so I plan to pick up another 914 to play around with chowtime.gif . Ive been talking to outfront motorsports regarding a ej20g. What is intriguing to me is that they have a harness that plugs into a stand alone ecu, runs to an electronic dash (idiot light, water temp, rpm, alternator light wired in) all for 300 bucks. i figured that would save me the headaches of combing through the stock harness. plus this will be purely a pleasure/weekend car. I have the mostly original 914, now i want the choped and scewed version.

So getting back on track, i plan to purchase the Coldwater cradle and transmission hangers. With the WRX trans the front diff is open, what have you all done to get power to both wheels? Ive been reading on the LSD and Quaife systems. Is one superior to the other?

Can you run the 6 speed sti trans? or is it too long for the mid engine configuration? Is the price difference worth it from the WRX to STI? or is it better to do the wrx LSD or Quaife?

TIA
JRust
QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ Sep 19 2016, 07:40 PM) *

Hello, so I plan to pick up another 914 to play around with chowtime.gif . Ive been talking to outfront motorsports regarding a ej20g. What is intriguing to me is that they have a harness that plugs into a stand alone ecu, runs to an electronic dash (idiot light, water temp, rpm, alternator light wired in) all for 300 bucks. i figured that would save me the headaches of combing through the stock harness. plus this will be purely a pleasure/weekend car. I have the mostly original 914, now i want the choped and scewed version.

So getting back on track, i plan to purchase the Coldwater cradle and transmission hangers. With the WRX trans the front diff is open, what have you all done to get power to both wheels? Ive been reading on the LSD and Quaife systems. Is one superior to the other?

Can you run the 6 speed sti trans? or is it too long for the mid engine configuration? Is the price difference worth it from the WRX to STI? or is it better to do the wrx LSD or Quaife?

TIA

1st off I am no expert. Although I did stay at a holiday in Express last night evilgrin.gif . So here you go happy11.gif

Outfront is awesome! The wiring harness is a great deal. The stand alone ECU is another $1200+ & the speed hut gauges are going to be another $700-900 or so depending on any upgrades you want (well worth the price).

On the transmission the 6speed is longer so I wouldn't recommend it. It also has the same gear ratio for 5th or 6th gear. Meaning in the 5 speed you'll be doing say 2500 rpm at 70 on the fwy. In the 6 speed you'd be doing the same. Which defeats the purpose of a 6 speed in my mind. I want a 6 speed to be another gear after 5th that drops my rpm for highway cruising. On the LSD there are quite a few out there. I think any of them will work fine unless you plan to push over 350hp. In which case I would look much closer at the LSD options for one that can handle that HP.
jd74914
Skip the STi tranny. It's a huge cost premium over a WRX/Legacy/Outback/etc. that really isn't worth the added cost unless you are planning on pushing huge power or want a slightly closer ratio gearbox. They are so expensive because all of the gear crunching WRX guys want them. If you get lucky you can get a 5 spd for $250 whereas a 6 spd is closer to $2500+.
BigFour1973
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 19 2016, 10:28 PM) *

1st off I am no expert. Although I did stay at a holiday in Express last night evilgrin.gif . So here you go happy11.gif

Outfront is awesome! The wiring harness is a great deal. The stand alone ECU is another $1200+ & the speed hut gauges are going to be another $700-900 or so depending on any upgrades you want (well worth the price).

On the transmission the 6speed is longer so I wouldn't recommend it. It also has the same gear ratio for 5th or 6th gear. Meaning in the 5 speed you'll be doing say 2500 rpm at 70 on the fwy. In the 6 speed you'd be doing the same. Which defeats the purpose of a 6 speed in my mind. I want a 6 speed to be another gear after 5th that drops my rpm for highway cruising. On the LSD there are quite a few out there. I think any of them will work fine unless you plan to push over 350hp. In which case I would look much closer at the LSD options for one that can handle that HP.

John over there is a great guy with tons of knowledge on the EJ platform. Im going to be paying him a visit today to discuss the motor build and how crazy i want to get with it.

Thank you for the info on the gearing. regarding the power limit on the LSD I'm looking to start out at ~300hp then work up from there. I can forsee the horsepower bug getting me good on this build. Even with it being 2 wheel driven (compared to the 4) would that increase the horse power capability of the diff, or decrease it since it is now on double duty handling all the power?
CptTripps
I'm in "LSD Shopping" mode too right now. I went WAY overboard on my engine build, so it's best to just buy it now.

I'll be interested to see what you do with your engine build. Here's what I did on mine.

Perrin Forged Pistons
Perrin Forged Rods
Eagle Racing Bearings
Bronze Valve Guides
Composite TGV Deletes
VF39 Turbo
Perrin Equal Length Headers
...and a slew of other stuff.

I went with an aftermarket CPU (Hydra) and made up my own engine harness. I WISH I wouldn't have. It's a royal pain in the ass. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy someone else's ECU and harness and just plug it in.
BigFour1973
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 20 2016, 01:18 PM) *

I'm in "LSD Shopping" mode too right now. I went WAY overboard on my engine build, so it's best to just buy it now.

I'll be interested to see what you do with your engine build. Here's what I did on mine.

Perrin Forged Pistons
Perrin Forged Rods
Eagle Racing Bearings
Bronze Valve Guides
Composite TGV Deletes
VF39 Turbo
Perrin Equal Length Headers
...and a slew of other stuff.

I went with an aftermarket CPU (Hydra) and made up my own engine harness. I WISH I wouldn't have. It's a royal pain in the ass. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy someone else's ECU and harness and just plug it in.

I just left Outfront, and what a fucking operation they have here. Cases are machined in house, heads are rebuilt in house, assembly is done in the next room over.

But in regards to the build, its relatively stock. Ej205 blocK and heads. Shallow sump and modified pickup tube. Td04 turbo ( or the disco potato turbo). Stock intake manifold, with intrcooler mounts machined off. All bearings replaced and rings.

The harness I'm going to use is outfronts basic one (ignition, idiot light, coolant temp, Ecu, fuel pump) and a couple others I'm forgetting.

As for the Ecu, it is a stand alone unit. That he dynos to each motor.

Which LSD are you looking at?
JRust
I was looking at this oneLSD
BigFour1973
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 20 2016, 06:06 PM) *

I was looking at this oneLSD

I also took a peek at that one, I guess there's a couple weak points on it as addressed in the forum post ( http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread....-for-Subaru-5MT ) but as long as those are taken care of, I guess it's a solid unit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.