Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electric 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144guy
i have a cust. that is doling a electric 914 like 8-10 grand i think for the kit. i will do the install if it goes throgh the shop, most likely it will, anyone done one. any advice? never done one
sawzall-smiley.gif
Mueller
A couple guys are on the list have electric 914s..including Otmar, possibly one of the top leading suppliers of speciallized controllers available for electric cars

Electric 914 guru
Joe Bob
Wear gloves....don't be barefoot and standing in water...
jim_hoyland
The California State University at Long Beach Engineering Deptartment produced a electric 914 as part ofa senior class project.
It has been written up in several publications and the school may provide you with the written stuff.
They may even have the car
sgomes
.... ahem.... cool.gif (check the sig below)

Where is the kit from? I might be able to give some pointers. beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
I seem to remember a 914 electric DRAG car... fast as shit!!
lapuwali
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 17 2005, 09:42 AM)
I seem to remember a 914 electric DRAG car... fast as shit!!

That's Otmar, the guy mentioned above that makes the electric car hardware.
Otmar
Yup that's me.

Sounds like a kit from Electro Automotive, I think they are the only ones making Electric 914 Kits. If that's the case then Shannon is your man for first hand info.

If it's not a specific 914 kit, but a universal kit of some type, then get ready for a lot of work.

Have fun!
9144guy
yea wll be a change from the daily grind
anthony
I'd love to build an electric 914 but the price keeps me away. The Voltsporsche kit costs $14K:

http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/price-pts.shtml

http://www.electroauto.com/catalog/ackits.shtml#ac914

Is there a way to do it a lot cheaper?

Of course the cheapest way is probably to buy a 914 with the kit already installed.
Otmar
QUOTE (anthony @ Apr 17 2005, 01:12 PM)

Is there a way to do it a lot cheaper?

Of course the cheapest way is probably to buy a 914 with the kit already installed.

Ouch! I didn't know the kits cost that much. I guess I haven't looked at the prices in a few years.

Yes it can be done cheaper. As you say, buying a converted one is the best deal most times, it's just that you don't get to choose your parts.

I usually tell people to figure $7K to 12K in parts and that much again in labor to do your own conversion.

I think you can still do a low HP one with new parts for under $6K, but I'd have to run through the prices again.

Basically you need: Motor, controller, charger, batteries, 12V supply (dc to dc usually, but could be an alternator) Contactor, fuses, wire, gauges, battery racks, adaptor plate and you are up and running.

If you spend time looking and learning much money can be saved. For instance a new 9" motor costs about $1500, but a good used GE one can occasionally be found for $500. Adaptor plates cost about $600, but with a mill and lathe and time you can make one for under $100. Or even without that, I've seen people make them with a Mig welder and cutting torch. Not pretty but it sure is cheap!

My site listed in my sig shows the costs to make a very expensive and fast one.
Otmar
AH, I see. That price was for the AC dirve kit.
Scroll down the page for the DC kits. The 914 DC kits is 8,995.00. plus batteries. (under $2K for those)
bd1308
what's the RANGE on these things? can't make a 3 hour trip.... sad.gif I'd love to do that one
sgomes
I don't know what a 3 hour trip is. Does that mean driving in circles at the local racetrack or driving I5 at 2a.m. at 95+ mph? (I just don't know WHO would do THAT! rolleyes.gif )

I'm getting (WAS getting before my controller blew) on the order of 60 to 80 miles per tank at freeway speeds. I'm using old school lead acid batteries however - a 'lead sled'. Throw some serious cash in there and get some Li-ions. Range would probably be in the 300+ miles at freeway speeds.

And between my new welder and the company I work for getting bought out :smiliewithdollarsignsforeyes: I'm thinking of starting a new 914 conversion from the ground up. screwy.gif
bd1308
holy cow....i'm talking 65-75 mph for 100-200 miles....but usually i just tool around the city.....whats serious cash?
sgomes
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 18 2005, 08:20 AM)
holy cow....i'm talking 65-75 mph for 100-200 miles....but usually i just tool around the city.....whats serious cash?

It's about one 1995 Jaguar XJ6 plus one 1997 Land Rover Discovery (5spd) and throw in a 1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ just for some electronics. cool.gif
bd1308
lol2.gif lol2.gif so onto hybrid engines.....anybody hooked up a honda insight engine unit to a 914?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.