Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 topic: Anyone know what header baffles...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
Don't say to "baffle" noise. laugh.gif These are nice large diameter competition headers and It took alot of time getting them out... couple of weld beads on the inside were hard to grind down w/o a dremel. wacko.gif
Mueller
it's a muffler of sorts that fit's inside the header....
messix
muellers right.
your doing good by getting rid of them. defeats the effect of the collector.
what are they going into?
neo914-6
QUOTE (messix @ Apr 16 2005, 09:11 PM)
muellers right.
your doing good by getting rid of them. defeats the effect of the collector.
what are they going into?

Into my V8 conversion, replacing my old blackjack rusty headers.

It just seems odd someone would buy competition headers and go ahead and restrict them. confused24.gif
messix
well stupid is as stupid does.
do you know much about headers? collector extensions and such.
914GT
Maybe they're not as restrictive as mufflers when run with a straight pipe, but I bet they're still noisy.
scotty914
i wonder if they are used to help even out the pulses from the cylinders and give a smoother flow
SLITS
An open pipe can overscavenge the cylinder, causing the unburnt air/gas charge to go down the pipe instead of "staying" in the cylinder (also has a lot to do with the cam profile too).

All cars require some amount of backpressure in the exhaust system to run correctly unless your a WOT drag machine. This is either accomplished by length and bends or baffles.

It takes a dyno to find out what the optimum is...period.

Those pipes are real short.
messix
not trying to sound like a know it all....but theres some missinformation here. [B]popular hot roddings may issue has the best and clear laymans explanation of modern exhaust design. mostly aimed at v8s but will work for any engines.
it's very difficult to "over scavenge" an engine with collector extentions,there tuned to the cam and heads rpm range to maximize torque. baffles in the collector do nothing but ruin the performance gains of headers. in your using baffles in collectors to tune the engine the pimary pipe diameter is way off. consider your lawnmower engine with a over sized exhaust 2" pipe. just loud!

check out that article

Troy
J P Stein
QUOTE (messix @ Apr 17 2005, 02:24 PM)
not trying to sound like a know it all....but theres some missinformation here.

Troy

You sound OK to me biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.