Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on tools...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JustinMeier
So here we go, most of the tools are going to stay with my nieces and nephews (Dad's grandkids if that's not obvious) so I'll be buying a bunch of new stuff to compliment my bailing wire, duct tape and hammer..

Feeler gauges for the /6... Angled or straight or the special ones from Pelican, Go-No Go or regular?

Anything specialty that makes your life easier?

I'll assume most if not all of the nuts, bolts, etc are metric, please correct me if I'm wrong.. I've had plenty of cars with mixed SAE/Metric BS ar15.gif
mskala
Feeler gauge for /6: go with the small curved Pelican one and get the extra .004"
replacement feelers. You won't be happy trying to shove a long straight feeler in here.

For oil lines, you need 27mm, 30mm, 32mm. Big-ass crescents will work for those if
you don't want to buy the real ones. BTW 27mm is also lower rear-shock nut/bolt.

I don't know of any great solution to some of the heat-exch to head nuts (maybe
addressed in old thread here), helps to have a source of cheap used wrenches you
can bend/weld to fit (13mm?? on head).

Same with distributor install or adjust (10mm and 13mm).

Be sure you have the OE style fan pin wrench and 22mm wrench.

Also a few of the carb/manifold/linkage nuts are ridiculous without bent wrench or
crows foot socket (12mm).

JustinMeier
Ok, thanks!

I'll try to find the bent wrenches that were around.. If not then I'll buy some harbor freight crap and bend it.
Whitney Mic
Justin-

I think I saw some bent wrenches at PelicanParts.

I was going to get some myself. My brother told me he'd be willing to do just about anything on my 914-4 *except* to get under the car to remove the valve covers.

He suggested I look for the old "spoon" type tire irons, as the curve makes releasing the valve cover spring easier in the tight space. Not sure what those look like...someone else might know.

-- Whit

P.S. They can laugh at both of us as newbies.
injunmort
i was going to be a smartass, and say you need a complete set of whitworth, but i will refrain. i have found aside from a basic metric socket, wrench set, a harbor freight metric long allen set, the triple square set of male sockets and a 17mm socket, 19 mm socket a 27mm socket and a 32mm socket. a good sized pipe wrench and of course a LONG breaker bar. an impact driver, a map torch and patience. of course this only a partial list, but a good place to start. goes without saying, channel locks, vice grips, screw drivers, clamps and taps and dies.
wndsnd
Having just finished some front end work, do not forget a ball joint or tie rod wedge,. There is also a thin tie rod wrench. And, a 5 pound mallet.
PlaysWithCars
Jack stands! Everyone forgot jackstands. lol-2.gif
injunmort
oh yeah, you need jack stands for sure
Larmo63
Grab all the wrenches you need from your Dad's stuff. your nieces and nephews don't know how to use them.

"Go and do what you must"
Chris914n6
Use the bailing wire, duct tape and hammer on the kids. Take the tools you need for the 914. biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
Crowsfoot wrenches are handy
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 20 2016, 08:10 PM) *

Use the bailing wire, duct tape and hammer on the kids. Take the tools you need for the 914. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif best suggestion here!
JustinMeier
Got jackstands last week so I could do the throttle cable. Dad had the advantage of having a lift, I get to lie on my back with a ton of steel over me.

Thanks guys! I'll give Pelican a call (shout out(?) to Glen) a call to get the feelers, I'm sure between them and HF I'll get exactly what I need.. I wanted to get everything soon so I'm not left on the side of the road near 4 Corners (hi Mike and Ernie) wondering where to get an xyz dinglehopper.

Thanks Whitt! Don't worry about posting threads, I'll eventually cover all the dumb questions and have no shame in doing so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.