Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't do anything the simple way Muffler Adventures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
The Triad I have is just too loud for me. It has a cool look with an original style, but I'm not enjoying the car when I go for anything but a short ride. None of my neighbors have complained. I've asked them about it just to be sure. Living in a condo community where I already bend the rules a bit is a balance.

So I've got the car going into a specialty shop near my house. The guy that runs it has decades of muffler work and tells me about all the 911 stuff he's engineered. He likes my Triad headers although he's planning on doing some adjustments to them. They don't hang at the exact height and he's going to even them out. It will be a fix that you can't see from the top of the car, but it will look correct when I'm working under it.

The plan is to make a tube that joins the to headers and enters a 30" muffler on the passenger side. The muffler will be tucked up high in the body and a single pipe will exit on the drivers side hanging just below the valance. The idea is nothing will be hanging out and the pipe will barely be seen. The muffler won't be Weldon in place so it may be removed easily.

If your looking for a loud set of pipes, they'll be up for sale when it's all done.

More to report next week when it goes into the shop
rhodyguy
Stan's mufflers in Kent?
6freak
wacko.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 21 2016, 09:04 AM) *

Stan's mufflers in Kent?

Yup
PanelBilly
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 21 2016, 10:32 AM) *

wacko.gif

Yes I'm crazy
rhodyguy
The guy at stan's should be familiar with the triad. They prob pre-bent the piping on your muffler.
bandjoey
Is there a chance that a Triad can me modded to run quieter?
maf914
Sort of like a Bursch 914/6... idea.gif

http://burschexhaust.com/6cylinder.htm

PanelBilly
Yes except with a bigger muffler and a "ball & socket" joint at both ends of the muffler so it and the tail pipe can be taken apart easily. That will make it so I can change out the two of them
jim_hoyland
Are the Triads foe the -6 louder than The ones on a -4 ? I've riden in several -4s with Triads and didn't consider them on the loud side. Even the dual outlet version seemed tame.

Is the Banana muffler the quietest ?
jd74914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 21 2016, 07:08 PM) *

Yes except with a bigger muffler and a "ball & socket" joint at both ends of the muffler so it and the tail pipe can be taken apart easily. That will make it so I can change out the two of them

Sorry...I'm not trying to play air hair quarterback but...

Removable sections are nice, but why the ball and socket joint? IMHO a v-band flange looks a lot better and seals better. Cost should be only a little more and it'll seal even after removing a few times.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 21 2016, 05:10 PM) *

Are the Triads for the -6 louder than The ones on a -4 ?

I ran a Triad on my -4 2.0 and really like the mellow but throatier exhaust note. No drones or bad resonances. Was thinking about ditching the sport muffler that's on my -6 now in favor of a Triad. Curious if anyone can answer Jim's question. Maybe my -4 experience isn't representative of the -6, but it has to be better than a sport muffler.

Billy I may be interested in your Triad when you're ready to get rid of it. I'm just east of you in Maple Valley.
6freak
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Sep 23 2016, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 21 2016, 05:10 PM) *

Are the Triads for the -6 louder than The ones on a -4 ?

I ran a Triad on my -4 2.0 and really like the mellow but throatier exhaust note. No drones or bad resonances. Was thinking about ditching the sport muffler that's on my -6 now in favor of a Triad. Curious if anyone can answer Jim's question. Maybe my -4 experience isn't representative of the -6, but it has to be better than a sport muffler.

Billy I may be interested in your Triad when you're ready to get rid of it. I'm just east of you in Maple Valley.

Mark the triad was my fav at anything but cruising speed ...25mph to 50 in 4th or 5th was horrible to the point the wife said no more and i couldnt disagree, went back to stock bursch,but when your full throttle going through the gears there is no better sound out of a flat 6 then a Triad..when Dave did mine i came up with the idea of dumping right side strait down so i didnt have to cut the valance , two strait back or one might have different results

is it about ready to go again...i may do some next season
MikeC
euro911
Yep, I can attest to the droning sound ... it finally got to me after a few long trips.

I replaced the Triad dual (on my 2056) with an OEM banana. It's quieter and closer to the existing jetting I was running (although I still need to fine tune the jetting a bit).

popcorn[1].gif
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Work is under way. The muffler won't be visable from the rear of the car
6freak
whats that oily look n stuff on the inside of rear tire....?
Eddie914
Too late .. I have a Bursch that I would have donated to the cause. Tubing is good but the muffler is bad sad.gif
Eddie914
I am running a gutted 911 muffler with dual 2.5" outlets.

- For the street the right side is plugged ... nice.
- Remove the plug for the track ... earplugs are advised.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 27 2016, 02:24 PM) *

A leaking caliber. Hey Eric!

Just one of the items on my list
euro911
.22, .380, .45, .50 ... what caliber is it?

Oh, caliper poke.gif
PanelBilly
Ok, but now its a calipurrr. I'll post a video later. Here's the view from behind

Click to view attachment
euro911
Cool ... thumb3d.gif
PanelBilly
Some other views..The tail pipe barely hangs below the valance. Just looks clean. Over the winter I'll have it ceramic coated

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
6freak
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 27 2016, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 27 2016, 02:24 PM) *

A leaking caliber. Hey Eric!

Just one of the items on my list

check your line its probably coming from there... car sounds good at idle
ndfrigi
[quote name='PanelBilly' date='Sep 29 2016, 04:31 PM' post='2404927']
Some other views..The tail pipe barely hangs below the valance. Just looks clean. Over the winter I'll have it ceramic coated

Click to view attachment

Hi sir, looks like you didn't install back the heat shield that is originally attached below the rear trunk floor. Please share if its okay without it and not letting the rear trunk floor gets too hot. thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.