Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice on Carb Choice - 1973 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chipbell
I just bought a 1973 1.7. Sadly the fuel injection system is long gone, and the carbs are cheap aftermarket items. Can anybody please suggest the best carb set-up for this car and (if you have one) a reliable supplier. First and foremost, I am looking for quality. Thanks in advance for your help.
914_teener
So why do you believe that it is sad that the fi is gone?
mark04usa
Because the Jetronic fuel injection is a superior system in every way to carburettors on a street car. driving.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Sep 21 2016, 04:07 PM) *

Because the Jetronic fuel injection is a superior system in every way to carburettors on a street car. driving.gif

Dangit......

Ya spoiled the trap.
Korijo914
'40' s may work pretty good, but if you can find some 36's that you can find some 914 manifolds to fit the 36's (may be too hard)?

BTW, I have some DCNF 40's, but I don't have any 914 manifolds. My 40's will fit the 914 manifolds, but you will need to find some 914 manifolds.

PM me if you are interested in my Weber DCNF 40's. Okay?

I am really flexible on the price. I have to build my boy a better bug!

Thanks,

Korijo ( David Cawdrey )
injunmort
i have weber 40's on my 1.7l. they work. fuel injection is better with stock engine. if you dont feel like replacing the fi system, 36 or 40's will work. if you need 36 intakes, i have a set kicking around. let me know.
BK911
I put a set of empi hpmx 40s on my '72 1.7 several years ago and am VERY happy with them. Around $500 a kit from several suppliers.
Korijo914
Again, I have some 40's for sale for $400. I will include the Gene Berg Special DCNF 40's with the Gene Berg linkage, and Gene Berg shorty manifolds. Worth about $75 to the Type 3 crowd. If you don't want the manifolds, I will take $300 shipped for the carbs & the linkage.

Just let me know if you are interested.

Thanks again,

Korijo914
JoeD
If you're interested in putting FI back in, let me know.

I have a complete FI system from a 1.7 that is in a box, including computer, MPS rebuilt by Brad Mayeur, new wiring harness from Jeff Bowlsby, and even new rubber fuel lines. The engine was not original to the car, so it has the earlier oil-based air cleaner and I have that too.

Car was running well when I pulled it; the new harness and rebuilt MPS only have a couple hundred miles on them, if that. Only reason I replaced FI system is that Jake Raby built my 1.7 into a 2270 so she's running carbs now.

Only thing I don't have is the rebuilt relay board; passed that on to someone else who was having trouble with theirs. I think I have the original board; car was running ok with it but I pulled everything at once to get it running just right so I don't know if the board has any issues. There were definitely some faults somewhere when I got her, but between new board, harness, and MPS she was running really well!!

I can send pics if you'd like.

Let me know!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.