Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Conversion - Opinions on engine purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
Hi Everyone,

I am beginning my engine and transmission search for my subaru conversion. My overall goal is to run 300hp in the 914.

I would like to use the EMS stinger ecu from outfront motorsports with their wiring harness.

Just looking for opinions on the motor and transmission combo in the link. Overpriced? Not the best engine to use, etc? Any thoughts would be great.

Subaru Engine

Thanks everyone.
Mike Bellis
Be prepared when buying a JDM engine, many of the parts are unique to Japan. I'm no Subi expert but I did have a JDM Cosmo Rotary engine. I could only buy some parts directly from Japan. Like gasket kits. Some I was able to fabricate since I couldn't get the parts. I know Subaru has some similarities on their JDM engines. They make some of these changes simply because the steering wheel and brake booster are on the other side.
matthepcat
Are you apposed to modifying the engine, or do you want stock ~300hp?

300 is easy on almost any EJ turbo engine with a few mods. Mike is correct that JDM motors are easier to find on eBay and they do have a few induction differences and compression ratio differences. Some JDM transmissions have a closer ratio gear box than USDM as well.
turnaround89
I have no problem modifying the motor. I did some research and found this motor seems to be stock about 270hp. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Would the best source for a US Subaru motor be buying a complete car? Pulling the front clip? It seems like the JDM engines are a dime a dozen at fairly decent prices.
matthepcat

That's right. 300 whp is obtainable with exhaust, injectors, turbo and tune.

If you want USDM, no need for the whole front clip. Since your running an aftermarket stand alone ECU, just find a motor and trans package out of a totaled car.

A whole front clip would be useful if you plan to strip the stock wiring harness and computer. (Which would allow you to run a Cobb tuner that many tuners know how to use).

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Sep 21 2016, 08:30 PM) *

I have no problem modifying the motor. I did some research and found this motor seems to be stock about 270hp. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Would the best source for a US Subaru motor be buying a complete car? Pulling the front clip? It seems like the JDM engines are a dime a dozen at fairly decent prices.

turnaround89
Any thoughts on the transmission? This should be able to be modified to the 2wd by removing the center differential and installing the front wheel drive spline coupler.
matthepcat
Any 5 speed will do with this coupler:

http://www.bremarauto.com/products/subaru-...conversion-kit/

Like I mentioned earlier, the JDM trans has a lower gear stack to match the 2 liter motors. USDM is high geared for fuel economy ratings and the 2.5l displacement motors.

I suggest adding a limited slip to the trans if you plan to run narrow body or modify the engine.

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Sep 22 2016, 06:55 PM) *

Any thoughts on the transmission? This should be able to be modified to the 2wd by removing the center differential and installing the front wheel drive spline coupler.
BigFour1973
Cold water has the same parts as well. Cheaper and you won't have to pay for shipping from Australia.

http://www.coldwater914.com/?cat=2

Even has the engine cradle and transmission hangers to go with it. I sent them an email a month or so back and haven't heard back though. Not sure if it got lost or he's on a hiatus.
matthepcat
Cold water is on hiatus ^^

You will have to wait if you want anything from him.
BigFour1973
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Sep 22 2016, 10:36 PM) *

Cold water is on hiatus ^^

You will have to wait if you want anything from him.

Damn, that's a shame. he's got some good looking stuff that'll save a bunch of time. Hope he comes out of retirement soon
turnaround89
I've been really hoping for cold water to start producing again but I understand he had more important obligations. I appreciate everyone's opinion on this. I think I'm going to move forward with purchasing this engine and transmission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.