Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I've been working on Dads car and I'm about to move on to the rear trunk. The battery side has been raised annoyingly for years and I want it fixed.

The trunk hinge pivot is loose on the offending side.
The spring / torsion is disconnected.
I have a newer latch spring.
I have the bolt on latch hinge replacement.

The issue?

I can't tell if the issue is the hinge, the trunk (i.e. Bent), the latch, or a combination?

Anybody been down this road before?

Millerwelds

I suspect gravity is causing it to lift like that. Perhaps flip it onto it's wheels and see if the lid settles. beerchug.gif
cary
The pivot is what sets the level. Being disconnected and are broken could have tweaked the left hinge, which could be adding to you lift. Making it worse.
You need to get the pivot replaced to get the process started.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2396818
Larmo63
Getting both of the hoods just right is frustrating.

agree.gif
JawjaPorsche
I say do the best you can and don't sweat it.

Twenty years ago my driver's pivot came off. I had it rewelded. The welder liked my 914 so much he did not charge me. When I replaced my trunk it was a tad higher (2 mm). After figuring out the cause, I realized I would probably be the only one to notice it.

sixnotfour
type.gif
Perry Kiehl Clone
You've got to fix the pivot location, as it's gotten raised up from pulling loose.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(RobW @ Sep 22 2016, 03:03 PM) *

I've been working on Dads car and I'm about to move on to the rear trunk. The battery side has been raised annoyingly for years and I want it fixed.

The trunk hinge pivot is loose on the offending side.
The spring / torsion is disconnected.
I have a newer latch spring.
I have the bolt on latch hinge replacement.

The issue?

I can't tell if the issue is the hinge, the trunk (i.e. Bent), the latch, or a combination?

Anybody been down this road before?

At some point you'll probably have to look at it and use some common sense.
amfab
I just went down that road. Replaced mine with:

http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/914/10-914-re...runk-pivot.html

Seems to be the best solution.

-Andrew
cary
Whether you go with a weld in or JWest pivot. After you get the previous welds ground down. Check to make sure the parent material in the tub is in good condition. It's taken 40 plus years of debris being thrown at it in the fender wheel.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 23 2016, 08:23 AM) *

Whether you go with a weld in or JWest pivot. After you get the previous welds ground down. Check to make sure the parent material in the tub is in good condition. It's taken 40 plus years of debris being thrown at it in the fender wheel.

Great point. This area was rebuilt years ago so the area is in really good condition. The drivers side got welded 15+ years ago but then the pass gave way.
cary
Giving each pivot 3-4 drops of oil every year needs to become part of our maintenance plan. One side seizes up, and the other doesnt. Then you have the leverage of the big hood. Then pow, pivot gets ripped out.
EdwardBlume
Its fixed now.

"Someone" disconnected the torsion bars and the ends were sticking straight up and keeping the trunk from sitting down. Stupid driving around like that for years....

I just pulled the bars out....

I shimmed the trunk up slightly and aligned the engine lid while I was in there. Now I just need trunk shocks...

EdwardBlume
As she sits now...
Millerwelds
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 8 2016, 03:23 PM) *

As she sits now...

See, back on its wheels and now it looks fine. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.