Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Way to clean and polish 914 Fuchs Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimFitz33
Took my '73 2.0 to a local wheel shop here in Westchester County NY to see about restoring the matte background and polished foreground on my fuchs wheels. Anybody have a reasonable formula for this? I don't want the whole wheel to be super shiny like I've seen... Any easy or reasonable way to clean off the dirt and garbage, and then polish while keeping authenticity?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Attached is the look I'm aiming for!

Thanks All!

JimFitzClick to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Clean, remove the anodizing, clean, polish the raised areas, clean, re-anodize.

The resto thread by member "Darren C" shows what he did (and had shops do) and the results.

--DD
steuspeed
It is not that easy. You need to have the anodizing stripped, then blast/polish the wheels and have them re-anodized. Here is the Darren C link. Buying mint wheels might be cheaper?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...47250&st=80
JPA914
I just used wheel polish and a lot of elbow grease and mine now look really nice (sorry, no pics). The biggest difference was on the matte areas, as these had a brownish tinge from years of dirt. Now this area is a much brighter silver color but still matte, of course. The anodized coatings on these are pretty tough. I scrubbed really aggressively with the polish, spending over an hour on each wheel (probably overkill). This didn't remove or scratch the coating at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.