Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT - Porsche 944 - 1984
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turk22
All, I have a family friend that is dealing with some pretty significant health issues. He would like to sell his 1984 Porsche 944 with 77k miles.

He is the original owner, the car is in exceptional shape, and the car has a binder full of service records since new. He originally purchased the car in Michigan, but the car is in Clearwater Fl. currently. I told him that going by the photos, and his description, the car may top out at maybe 12k, but I'd have to do a detailed look. I don't think he is looking for the big score, he will give the money to my niece for her college, so there is plenty of room for offers.

I don't have a lot of experience with the 944, so I may be way off base at 12k, and hoped some of you may steer me correctly. Let me know what you think the value may be, and where you would suggest I post it.
Here are a few pictures

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
N_Jay
I think you may be a bit high
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/ve...73102&Log=0
Ferg
Indeed a nice looking 944, not easy to find.

But 12k is pretty far off base. BAT just had a 20k mile example and it was a 86 with the nicer dash. It just barely brought 12k with worldwide exposure.

If it never saw MI road salt meaning the underside shows no corrosion, and its up to date with water pump, T-belt, clutch, ect, I think 8k would be high mark for a 84 with 77k miles.

Sport seats help as well as single ownership.

Ferg
jor
This car is very clean, is a one-owner car with manual transmission, in saleable colors, with records including original sticker, and would seemingly show very well in detailed photos. Ferg is right: Bring a Trailer has been auctioning 944s. Going a step further, this one would probably present very nicely on that site, with its worldwide audience and worldwide bidding. Can't hurt to drop the BaT guys a note, can it?

If I were the niece (nephew), I'd take the car over the college money. Just saying.
N_Jay
QUOTE(jor @ Sep 22 2016, 05:15 PM) *

If I were the niece (nephew), I'd take the car over the college money. Just saying.

Depending on what she is studying, the car may be a better investment.
sb914
[quote name

[/quote]
agree.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(jor @ Sep 22 2016, 02:15 PM) *

This car is very clean, is a one-owner car with manual transmission, in saleable colors, with records including original sticker, and would seemingly show very well in detailed photos. Ferg is right: Bring a Trailer has been auctioning 944s. Going a step further, this one would probably present very nicely on that site, with its worldwide audience and worldwide bidding. Can't hurt to drop the BaT guys a note, can it?

BAT is now a paid auction thing for the most part. Sorta like ebay but with a Forum for people to heckle what you are selling. hissyfit.gif

They do still "feature" some things already on the market, but now is reserved for the uber rare or unusual.

$250 listing fee. 5% buyers Fee.
jor
"$250 listing fee. 5% buyers Fee."

Thanks for clarifying -- I should have included this information! But I do think that BaT attracts a better caliber of buyer than eBay which, despite possible heckling, makes the site a good place to auction quality cars with records. Have you heard of buyers backing out on BaT?
steuspeed
I don't think you are far off. Hagerty shows this car at 10K flat for several years and now just bumped to 16K for a level 2 car in the last 18 months. It's not a special model and it has the least desirable dash. One owner well maintained are a plus. Mileage is not too high. A level 2 car might have less than 50K?

#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."
Mike Bellis
No tears in the seat and no cracks in the dash. A very rare model indeed...

I don't think the demand is out there for early 944's. Around here that car would sell for $5,000-$7,000.

Seeing no cracks in the dash is super rare!
carr914
an '84 is kind of a weird 944 (I had one) - Ugly Dash, almost non-existent A/C, Low HP!

This car is pretty good looking, but the P/S seat was recovered badly & the Drivers Seat needs to re-done. It could be dressed up with 16 Fuchs to look better. Value = ?, I haven't followed 944 is a while but an '84 would be on low part of the Totem Pole.

I would say just give it to the Niece, but 944s are Money Pits!

Click to view attachment
turk22
Thanks guys, seems I mis-led him a bit at 12, but honestly I don't think he's that worried about that, I just didn't want him to give it away to someone for 5k, because he didn't know any better.
Sounds like 8-10k will be best case.
I did know that the older style dash was a drawback, but the interior is in really nice shape.
The niece is going to be doctor and is well on her way, and will appreciate the tuition help, much more than appreciating the car if you know what I mean.

He told me he would sell it to me for 5k, because he knew I was a car guy. I told him realistically I wouldn't be able to keep it, and didn't want to just flip it because I could.

Since its already in Clearwater, I may just advertise it locally on CL or something initially, and see what kind of interest there is in it. maybe start it at 9.5k.

Siince my brother is also in Clearwater, I can get some of his help. And I'll be going down there in a month or so.

If anyone knows a 944 lover who wants to check it out before it officially hits the market, let me know.
Ky914Newbie
I initially thought the 12k was a bit high also, but low mileage and the Fuchs wheels as well as sport seats and if you are patient enough, you might be able to find someone to pay that price. Big questions to help determine if you can maximize the price.

Has the clutch been done? If not, drop 2k from price.
Have the belts seals and water pump been done within the last year? If not, drop 1k from the price.
Any other issues that need to be addressed? If it is perfect, I think 12K is a reasonable price.
turk22
Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to dig thru the maintenance records and see what was done, and when.
I was told yesterday that the cruise control doesn't seem to work, but I haven't verified. (could be pilot error huh.gif )

I need to pull together a proper history and photos if I'm going to list it for them anyway.
injunmort
just my recent experience, 8-12k is a wish number. i sold an '86 in may with 88k on the clock, 5 speed, new tires, timing belt and brakes, in comparable condition, for $4500.00. it took awhile even to get a call. just because it says porsche on it, does not make it a 911 or 356.
Mike Bellis
Also consider is the timing belt is just old. Even if it only has 5k miles, if it is 10 years old it needs to be replaced.
colingreene
What a cool car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.