Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the Best LSD for our 914 ? And where can buy ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jm993rs
Hi !! Now I would bay one LSD for my 914 side shift gearbox and here is the best place for info of the gurus 914 !!

Kind regards in advanced !! driving.gif screwy.gif
QUOTE(jm993rs @ Sep 23 2016, 03:20 AM) *

Hi !! Now I would bay one LSD for my 914 side shift gearbox and here is the best place for info of the gurus 914 !!

Kind regards in advanced !! driving.gif screwy.gif

huh.gif

Top front runners: Factory ZF LSD and Guard LSD....there's others out there. Best is use Google to search and get educated.
phillstek
I have a WaveTrac TBD and I’m happy.
brant
I would say that the top two are a tb and lsd
And the type of use matters most
I Went tbd for racing
Steve
http://www.guardtransmissionllc.com
I was quite happy with my tbd. When I had a 914 trans.
JmuRiz
Like the others said, we need to know how much power you have and what type of racing you are doing....or if you just want it for street biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Well, as we know from Woodstock, you don't want the brown LSD... wink.gif

Anything Guard makes will be good stuff. I believe they have both a torque-biasing diff and a limited-slip diff. Most frequently, the TBD is recommended for the street and for autoX, and the LSD for the track. But there are exceptions.

--DD
sixnotfour
money is always another factor..
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2016, 11:49 AM) *

Well, as we know from Woodstock, you don't want the brown LSD... wink.gif

Anything Guard makes will be good stuff. I believe they have both a torque-biasing diff and a limited-slip diff. Most frequently, the TBD is recommended for the street and for autoX, and the LSD for the track. But there are exceptions.

--DD

Agreed. With the caveat that Paul Guard no longer owns Guard so the new company is an unknown to me... Could still be exceptional but how do you top Paul personally delivering your TBD to you? confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
Monson is a cool guy. He's active on the Bird Board and knows his stuff and is willing to share much of that knowledge. He seems a worthy successor to Paul Guard--and they still make great stuff.

--DD
Mike Bellis
I like purple gel but sometimes blotter is good... Don't eat the brown acid...

smoke.gif

76-914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 23 2016, 03:34 PM) *

smoke.gif

Damnit Mike, you beat me to it. chair.gif I was going to say to stay away from the Orange Ozzly and Purple Double Dome. biggrin.gif
JustinMeier
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 23 2016, 04:15 PM) *

smoke.gif

Damnit Mike, you beat me to it. chair.gif I was going to say to stay away from the Orange Ozzly and Purple Double Dome. biggrin.gif

I came to suggest windowpane but it looks like you guys have this covered beerchug.gif
brant
Matt is a great guy
And he is a 914 guy too
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 23 2016, 08:56 AM) *

money is always another factor..

All the above suggestions are very valid. How are you going to utilize it. Street, DE or some track time.
One other point mentioned above, how much money are you willing to support this decision. A used factory 901 / 911 LSD price point is approximately $1000 to $1500 - not including a rebuild. A new Guard will run you approximately $2800 to $3000.00.

Then you will need to have someone with the appropriate tools to set up the side / back lash / pinion spec..
Unless you have the appropriate tools, you will need to factor that in to the cost too. Oh, I believe one "can " set up these specs to "almost " spec. But for me, I rather use actual gages vs the other methods.
Just my .02
Good luck
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Sep 23 2016, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 23 2016, 04:15 PM) *

smoke.gif

I came to suggest windowpane but it looks like you guys have this covered beerchug.gif

You guys are going to give me a flashback...

In my day, it was the gel pyramids. If you wanted blotter, the dragon prints were clean and a lot of fun.

(very *experienced*, half a lifetime ago...)
rolleyes.gif

-- Whit
Johny Blackstain
My six has a Quaife in her. Previous owner installed it & they are very expensive; I bought one for my Scirocco years back. They're very good & I have no complaints.
Cracker
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2016, 06:31 PM) *

Monson is a cool guy. He's active on the Bird Board and knows his stuff and is willing to share much of that knowledge. He seems a worthy successor to Paul Guard--and they still make great stuff.

--DD

agree.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2016, 06:31 PM) *

--DD

I don't want to imply that the new owner is any less of a great guy than Paul Guard. I just don't know and have not dealt with him. I'm glad someone does know him and can endorse him. Particularly if Dave Darling calls him cool. That leaves no doubt in my mind that he IS cool... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.