Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 sheet metal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
What exactly do those spendy 914-6 sheet metal kits consist of? Is it correct there should be 7 pieces?

I have heard some negatives about the fiberglass stuff -- any truth to that?

Or, do I even need the sheet metal for a mostly track car? Will it overheat sitting in staging?
Brad Roberts
I have used the Fiberglass one time. It will work fine for what you need.

Personally, If I where you.. I wouldnt run any. My first 914 conversion car (I was involved in didnt own it) didnt have tin and it lasted through Texas summers and traffic jams. It would be different if you had heat exchangers on it radiating heat upwards, but your car will rarely see HWY traffic jams that last for hours. I would also bet your oil cooler will be a nice one. Leaving it off makes EVERYTHING easier to get too.

1 vote: off.

B
brant
Chris,

if your rules will let you get away with it...

leave it off..

I'm using the 911 motor tinwork for head cooling and even trimming that back... no 914-6 specific tin

Of course my car hasn't run yet... but I'm going to have twin (fluidyne) front oil coolers so I think I can maintain my oil temps....

brant
J P Stein
I have 5 peices of tin, front , one on each side, and 2 in the back.

I would go with metal as the mounting holes take more abuse than one would think. FGlass will break, where as the metal just bends.

My thinking on tin ...on/off...fiits into my thinking on cooling. *Anything* one can do to help keep the motor cool is a money well spent.
I've used this philosophy from the start of my 2.7L install and it has paid off....maybe too well.
Thus far, I have never seen 100C on my temp gauge.
90F+ days, with an AX thrown in....90C on the gauge.
I haven't tracked the car yet, tho.

The only down side is it takes a long time for the car to warm up!

Another thing you will find is fuel in the oil. A common occurence with dry sumped engines....particularly with carbs or MFI. Long runs of 2 or 3 hours are (I am told) are about the only thing that will get that stuff out of there.
It has been much more evident than water from condensation.
Frequent oil changes are about the only cure for a race car, me thinks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.