Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan rubs housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marksteinhilber
Assembling my 2056 frankenmotor. Went to put the fan on and it seems to rub the housing on part of the rotation. Engine is a rebuilt 2.0 that was running and pulled for a 6 conversion and sold to me as a longblock, no accessories, tine, carbs, etc. I bought 2.0 tins, housing, fan, alt, distributor, and accessories. I have smoothed up the back edge of the fan, and cleaned up the mold lines off the housing and that helped, but don't have any roughness left and it still rubs a little. I'm wondering if i'm missing a thin washer or shim that goes between the fan and the flange...
TheCabinetmaker
Yes. There is a thin washer that goes behind it. Without it the small dowel on the hub won't seat in the hole in the rear of the fan. Therefore, the fan does not set flush.
marksteinhilber
Ok, I see the spacer and a washer on the AA Hard parts diagram, Spacer is $20 and washer is $1 from AA, buying parts a few small pieces at a time is $$$. I guess I need the spacer for sure, not sure why I would also need a washer. My fan fully seats without the spacer or washer, dowel pin aligns the fan properly, but it rubs the housing in one area as it sits too close to the engine. Thanks for the help Cabinet maker!
TheCabinetmaker
The thick washer goes under the bolt that holds the hub on
Dave_Darling
Check the classifieds here, or juts ping Bruce Stone directly, for the parts you are missing. Chances are you'll get them for a whole lot less than at AA, and chances are 100% that you'll get better customer service...

--DD
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 23 2016, 03:29 PM) *

Check the classifieds here, or juts ping Bruce Stone directly, for the parts you are missing. Chances are you'll get them for a whole lot less than at AA, and chances are 100% that you'll get better customer service...

--DD

Yes, how true. Bruce has been a great supplier for all the missing bits and pieces, fair and great to work with. I have a couple local shops checking for one that are a 20 minute drive instead of an hour to see Bruce. I'm trying Einmalig for $6 and Jorge at European Motor Works. He builds greAt type 4 motors for half the pric e of Fat and others. Thx for the good info guys!
euro911
Yep, Richard (T4) and I are currently building a 1911 motor for our white car ('Howard') up at George's.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.