Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement outer sail panel.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Archie
Hi Group,

Need some wisdom, please. I'm in the market for new outer sail panels and I see that just about every supplier is selling them, so my question is: any preferences? I don't mind what I pay (within reason), I'm more concerned with fit and yes, I realize that some fettling will be involved.
My particular concern is the tapering vertical crease which runs from just above the door handle recess to the very top. As far as I can see, it's only visible when the door-glass seal and polished seal channel is removed, but it's obviously there for a reason, as it would complicate the original pressing . Thanks.
mepstein
Restoration design makes them. You are going to have to fit and finish them no matter what. No metal comes ready to plug and play.
Archie
QUOTE(Archie @ Sep 23 2016, 12:43 PM) *

Hi Group,

Need some wisdom, please. I'm in the market for new outer sail panels and I see that just about every supplier is selling them, so my question is: any preferences? I don't mind what I pay (within reason), I'm more concerned with fit and yes, I realize that some fettling will be involved.
My particular concern is the tapering vertical crease which runs from just above the door handle recess to the very top. As far as I can see, it's only visible when the door-glass seal and polished seal channel is removed, but it's obviously there for a reason, as it would complicate the original pressing . Thanks.

Archie
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 23 2016, 12:55 PM) *

Restoration design makes them. You are going to have to fit and finish them no matter what. No metal comes ready to plug and play.

Yeah. The fettling to fit properly goes without saying. My point is that the crease that I mentioned is a pretty major forming exercise.
Mark Henry
I can tell you the Restoration Design new "made in Canada" stamping is way better than the old Restoration Design panel. The old RD dies were a bit sketchy, Pete scrapped them and made all new dies for the sails.
There are minor creases each end of the bend, but nothing to worry about. They will clean up with a blond hair thickness of filler. Likely a good metal masher could work/file them out.
I've seen other panels, RD's are by far the best with the thickest quality steel.

Till the end of the month they are 20% off Canadian made panels.
r_towle
I had a hard time with that pAnel, specifically where is meets the fender.
It's a tough place to get behind to hammer out the weld.

If you can get a larger one that goes down farther you may be better off.
Archie
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 23 2016, 02:19 PM) *

I can tell you the Restoration Design new "made in Canada" stamping is way better than the old Restoration Design panel. The old RD dies were a bit sketchy, Pete scrapped them and made all new dies for the sails.
There are minor creases each end of the bend, but nothing to worry about. They will clean up with a blond hair thickness of filler. Likely a good metal masher could work/file them out.
I've seen other panels, RD's are by far the best with the thickest quality steel.

Till the end of the month they are 20% off Canadian made panels.

Thanks, MH.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.