Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of case do I have?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toecutter
I Googled for an hour in order to not slink in here and beg for help. However, I have no shame and I couldn't find crap so here it is. The code stamped into the case in front of the oil filler is GC006659. What is this, some kind of bus motor or what?
Joe Bob
75-76 2.0
Part Pricer
1975-76 Porsche 914, North American Model 2.0 L
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (toecutter @ Apr 17 2005, 05:09 PM)
I Googled for an hour

the answer was here all along ...
ArtechnikA
noticed while i was looking at the chart...

Yo Jeroen -- 914.6 carbs were 40IDTP13C ...
toecutter
Oops. Well, while I have your attention are there any intrinsic quirks/drawbacks/advantages to the late model 2.0? Keep in mind the PO installed Weber 40 IDF's, 1.7 heads and a compufire.
davep
He tried his best to destroy the motor?
HTH do you put 1.7 heads on a 2.0 without a lot of work?
Gary
Once the P.O. decided to drop the FI, he just needed 4 bolt intake manifolds to fit the 1.7 heads. Who knows, maybe it was a high mileage 2.0 with the around-the-plug cracking or he ran it lean and buggered the 2.0 heads. If no bottom end work was done, the stock cam is only so-so with carbs, as is the stock CR.
toecutter
I had always hoped that the substitution of the 1.7 heads was to increase the compression ratio. Would there be a lot of machine work to the heads to get them to mate with the 2.0 cylinders?
type47
i think you have to open up the ...... opening that the cylinders fit into... what ever that's called. i don't think that's difficult for a machine shop. what's the engine tin if it has 1.7 heads? 1.7 tin or were the spark plugs changed to match 2.0 engine tin?
davep
It could be that it is only a 2.0 case, and the crank is a 1.7. At this time the possibilities are endless since the motor could have been rebuilt several times. The only way to be sure is a full strip down to identify every part: cam, crank, rods, pistons, valves. It sure isn't stock. All you know is that the case was originally for a 2.0.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.