Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first AX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
A 3.2L, 73, with fat Hoosiers, in the rain should not be your first choice....unless you wanna spend a lot of time lookin' out the side windows and/or your choices are limited.

Them 3.2Ls have a lotta torque....can't say much about the
WOT cause I never got there biggrin.gif I only looped it once. Passed up a 100ft section of the course going sideways.....but made the next gate biggrin.gif With the wet conditions, it handled much like my 914.....0 warning before busting loose....a little push, but a lift would bring the back end out...didn't even try to trail brake.
You also use the 914 method to gracefully exit a tank slapper.
Got it down to a respectable time, but the Subbithingies kicked our collective Porsche ass by a wide margin....I hate that.
brant
good job JP.
I'm glad there was a vehicle available to help you make the event.

brant
boxstr
A lineup of wet 914s ready to go out on the course.
CCLINAXFEVER
Joe Bob
Hey JP....did it have a cupholder?
J P Stein
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 17 2005, 06:03 PM)

Dunno, but it had a roof, windshield wipers, and heater, all good things today. BTW, do you want our weather back?
Joe Bob
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 17 2005, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 17 2005, 06:03 PM)

Dunno, but it had a roof, windshield wipers, and heater, all good things today. BTW, do you want our weather back?

Nope...put my pants away for the rest of the year.....shorts and flip flops forever...
mskala
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 17 2005, 05:57 PM)

JP, what method is that? Although usually I tend to spin one
way until the car stops moving entirely.
airsix
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 17 2005, 02:57 PM)

JP, will you please teach me the proper technique? I've got tank-slappers down. I just can't seem to get the "gracefull exit" part. laugh.gif

-Ben M.
J P Stein
QUOTE (airsix @ Apr 18 2005, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 17 2005, 02:57 PM)

JP, will you please teach me the proper technique? I've got tank-slappers down. I just can't seem to get the "gracefull exit" part. laugh.gif

-Ben M.

OK, here's what works for me ...sometimes.....with the caveat that I've had lots of practice.

You've done sumthin' really dumb and the back end is waaaay out shape....being too stupid to realize that all is lost, you compound the error and crank in lots of opposite lock when the rear end hooks while you still have in a good head of steam.(If you're going too fast, the back end won't hook period & around you'll go) As anyone who's been there knows, the thing snaps the other way. I find it impossible to spin the lock out quick enuff to keep up with it and you're on your way to a slapper....*unless you let go of the wheel*....how's that for a leap of faith?...actually, you're just letting it spin thru your fingers. When the car more or less straightens grab the wheel...don't forget this last part biggrin.gif IF you catch it right, you'll get just a small wiggle the opposite direction......THIS TAKES SOME ROOM. You are not gonna finish up traveling in the previously desired direction. Situational awareness is a must. Often....like when you're looking at the timing lights at the finish, you're better off just letting it spin short of the lights rather than catching it & smashing the lights.....not that I've ever done that rolleyes.gif

I've spent a fair amount of time hosing up runs. Spins are no longer a thing I can't think thru...."both feet in" has become automatic. .....I've even been knowed to down shift
while spinning to make a quick getaway from the scene biggrin.gif

This weekend I spent some time explaining the "both feet in" rule to novices. It was really snotty out there.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Sammy @ Apr 18 2005, 02:18 PM)
LOL try it in a tail dragger with an engine that almost doubles the torque as soon as you pass 3000 rpm like a toggle switch wink.gif

Try whut, Sammy? AX in the rain?
mskala
JP I don't think I'd have the balls to try that maneuver.
My feel is that in any spin that you no longer can
control, jam in the brakes so you start going in a
straight line (not necessarily where you're pointing,
but hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do).
airsix
QUOTE (mskala @ Apr 18 2005, 03:52 PM)
JP I don't think I'd have the balls to try that maneuver.
My feel is that in any spin that you no longer can
control, jam in the brakes so you start going in a
straight line (not necessarily where you're pointing,
but hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do).

My last one was like that. Stoped rotation and perfectly sideways at 50mph taking out slalom cones with my driver's side door. WHAM! ohmy.gif WHAM! ohmy.gif WHAM! ohmy.gif Interesting viewing this all out the side window.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.