Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Special delivery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
After a couple years collecting dust in the garage, I'm finally getting around to getting my track car back up and running. Life, kids and a kitchen remodel has kept the car tucked away in the garage looking lonely. With any luck I'll get it buttoned up for a track day on October 7th. The clock is ticking.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
oh yea!

Great news.
Krieger
Cool! Hang in there. A little bit each day.
vintage914racer
Slowly coming together

Click to view attachment
Cracker
Race or track day? Looking great!

Tony
vintage914racer
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 27 2016, 05:55 AM) *

Race or track day? Looking great!

Tony

I'm trying to get it installed for a track day. All the races i'd normally attend for the year have passed.
rick 918-S
What size? Specs? Enjoy!
porschetub
6 bolt flywheel .....could be one of 3 motors,I will go for the 2.0 litre cause I think its class type racing???.
Like the air cleaners aktion035.gif ,sharp looking motor,well done.
gms
Glad to see you back on track, if you miss the Oct 7 race maybe you can make it to That Looooong Race ?
vintage914racer
QUOTE(gms @ Sep 30 2016, 11:16 AM) *

Glad to see you back on track, if you miss the Oct 7 race maybe you can make it to That Looooong Race ?

Been stuck in the garage for the last 7 nights and haven't stayed up to date on the thread....

Engine is built on an early aluminum case. 2.5 short stroke. More or less same engine I had in there, less the damage from rod bearing failure. Previous motor expired after only 8 hours. Yay.

Click to view attachment

Had to replace the crank and rods due to damage. While you're in there syndrome set in. Upgraded to Pauter rods, Aasco springs, supertec flowed oil pump and a bunch of things I've certainly forgot about after a couple years accumulating parts. Naturally with bearing fragments everywhere in the oiling system I had to make new
Lines, replace the cooler, etc.

vintage914racer
Have a track day my company is hosting on Friday and m trying to get the car together in time. I wasn't expecting the engine to be done as soon as it did from the builder so I'm now crazily trying to put the car together.

Click to view attachment

vintage914racer
Over the winter I rebuilt the dash, because the old one had been patched a number of times and the wires were a rats nest following different iterations of gauges, switches and the like. I never got around to testing the electronics because it was hard to do so without the harness hooked up to the engine. Besides a couple minor tweaks everything seems to work as planned.

Click to view attachment

Cracker
dash looks very slick...

Tony
vintage914racer
I put together a blog post outlining the process to get my car back on track. The short answer is I got the car ready in time for the track day. It was not without issues, however.

http://morriesheritage.com/bens-engine-misadventure-part-2/

jpnovak
Did you cross-drill the crank to avoid any future rod bearing issues on 2 and 5?
2.5 is a fun motor.

What cams?
vintage914racer
QUOTE(jpnovak @ Oct 11 2016, 08:10 AM) *

Did you cross-drill the crank to avoid any future rod bearing issues on 2 and 5?
2.5 is a fun motor.

What cams?

I had Ollies inspect, groove, cross drill and balance the crank.

I should know for certain on the cams, but I don't. I believe it just has "s" cams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.