Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 Automatic on ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0&category=6430

I couldn't believe it either.
I would love to get the low down on how they did it.

BTW wasn't that the trans that would automatically put itself in gear and smash into things like garage doors and little kids??
I remember tons of law suits in the 80's over this.
I think Audi ended up doing a recall or retrofit to fix it.

If someone bought the car they could always name it Christine!!
Aaron Cox
thats pretty trick... wonder how they did it... no pics of it sad.gif
Steve
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 17 2005, 04:50 PM)
thats pretty trick... wonder how they did it... no pics of it sad.gif

All you can see is the shifter and a big hump in the rear trunk.
markb
I sent him a "question" inviting him to the lunch at the Cap'ns on friday. Maybe he'll show.
Joe Bob
LUCAS....said with the Seinfeld hiss like when he says "Neumann"...that guy is the dude that sells the Professionally Engineered Products seatbelts and stuff.....good stuff....but this guy makes ME look like Mother Teresa.....what a wanker... screwy.gif
Porsche Rescue
The Audi "unintended acceleration" 60 Minutes expose of the late 80's damn near killed Audi in the US. It was ultimately determined to be driver error, stepped on gas thinking it was brake, car didn't slow so stepped down harder! Only mod made was to require foot on brake before you could engage a gear. Most cars have that now.
Steve
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Apr 17 2005, 05:44 PM)
The Audi "unintended acceleration" 60 Minutes expose of the late 80's damn near killed Audi in the US. It was ultimately determined to be driver error, stepped on gas thinking it was brake, car didn't slow so stepped down harder! Only mod made was to require foot on brake before you could engage a gear. Most cars have that now.

Thanks for the memory refresh.
I kind of remember the same thing.
I was in my 20's in the 80's and that decade is kind of vague due to well I can't remember..... blink.gif
markb
This is the response I received from the seller regarding my invitation to the Santa Maria lunch.

Thanks....But that won't be possible..Jason.

Too bad, I'd like to see the car.
Mueller
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Apr 17 2005, 06:44 PM)

60 minutes also rigged the cars in order for them to "perform" for the show...bunch of idiots, just like when 60 minutes placed explosives on the Chevy truck gas tanks for their show....
skline
Ok, I like it, however, I had asked about this conversion about a year ago and everyone here told me it couldnt be done or wouldnt work or something negative about it. I really need to see this car. Someone here buy it so I can check it out. biggrin.gif
aircooledboy
Very interesting, but I wonder why the shifter needed to be so freakin high? confused24.gif
Porsche Rescue
As an Audi lover (owned about 10 over the years) I have a theory on the high shifter.
The box and lever in the pic above looks like stock from 80's Audi 4 or 5000. Since there is no driveline tunnel as on a rear drive car it was necessary to mount the lever higher for easy reach. Just a theory.
Qarl
Somebody buy it and stick a Raby engine in it!

cnavarro
If I hadn't just bought a sportomatic 911, I'd be all over it so we could document this one!

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Eric_Shea
everyone here told me it couldnt be done or wouldnt work or something negative about it

You can't put slant nose fenders on a 914... silly man dry.gif
Mueller
KEP would seem to have a general idea on what would be needed I would think.....they offer an adapter plate to hook up a Chevy V8 to those Audi transmissions, so they might know or have an adapter for an air cooled motor to an Audi transmission as well.......if one is needed???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.