Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 914 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
914pipe
QUOTE(flmont @ Dec 30 2016, 07:59 PM) *

Now that I have my harness back Thanks Jeff,..I would like to know how others have installed thier's its bigger that I thought it would be,..and also what is this item that has the bracket attached and where does it mount ??Click to view attachment Thanks Frank

The bracket thingy is the coil igniters....

beer.gif

914pipe
QUOTE(flmont @ Dec 31 2016, 12:07 PM) *

And last Q for now, How do I hook up this water line,.just run a jumper line ?? Click to view attachment Thanks Very Much !! Frank

I cap them, but is recommended to simulate the heater core circuit by a bypass line and is also recommended to place a vent valve (to leave no air trapped).

beer.gif
flmont
I got lucky,..car 2500.00, engine with a 100k miles,trany adapter kit,transmission,and harness = 1500.00,.shipping to me 350.00,.then,.Radiator system and lines installed 1300.00,.finally I had to send the harness out to make sure it was terminated correctly,and fan harness that totaled 650.00 ,..So ,..total so far with some Misc. items about 6650.00. over a 2 year period.And I now need a engine mount that will total 300.00,..then exhaust system yet to be fabbed ,I have a 911 banana style muffler I intend to use also,..so now total is about 7K...FM
flmont
And Thank U,... 914pipe
flmont
when trying to install the fuel pump for my 3.3 build,..I have only found 1 factory wire in that compartment, Do I simply use a ground wire to the lid or body from the fuel pump it self,..?? TIA Frank
Chris H.
I'll look today Frank. Happen to have my fuel pump cover off. Long story involving me dropping my phone down the space between the tank and the body headbang.gif
flmont
Oh...Great Thanks !!! Frank
Chris H.
Hi Frank,

I had to take my tank out today, so here's a nice pic for you.

Click to view attachment

As you can see there is a ground wire connected to the pump, then connected to a spade attached to the body under the tank. If your spade is missing just ground it well to the body.

flmont
OH..Ok,..Damn that blows ya had to pull the tank,..damn phones,..!! Thanks,..

I hate to ask I will be needed how to connect fuel lines to engine advice...Soon...Thanks !!!! so much...Frank
Chris H.
No a problem. Very easy to set up the fuel lines. I actually had to pull the tank to put my fresh air box back in. Was able to fish the phone out through the fuel pump hole but could not see the ground wire through it. beerchug.gif
r_towle
took 5 seconds
flmont
r towle....Thanks...Iam just not that computor literiate
flmont
Click to view attachment I dont know why this oil filter wont fit..!!
flmont
it hits the small car bracket and wont line up ??
flmont
before pic
flmont
Also, this is way to far forward even tho my 901 trans lines up with the factory trans mount.???Click to view attachment
flmont
I thought it would be very close to the cross member not beyond it
flmont
these tranny mounts line up..Click to view attachment
914forme
Your on the right path, the idea with the small car is that you will need to cut the mount and mount it over an early style bar. I think I have detailed shots of mine in my build thread.

I made two of them headbang.gif
flmont
And I suppose that's why the oil filter wont screw on either,..I will ck that out,.I thought it was to short ,..not to long but I do fell better,I would still love a cradle..lol
914forme
cradles are over rated sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
flmont
Well I was hoping to just bolt it in and be done,..But I can see now that's not the case ..
flmont
BUT,..My oil filter will not screw on either is that the result of the brackets being to long ??
flmont
I'am about to start my intake flip,I will be using the subie chip to eliminate the EGR system,and I will be using the spacer kit from X35 design.

1. I DON'T know how much of the EGR system to remove.( i dont have the chip yet )
2. I don't know how to do the ALT bracket
3. Is there a shorter crank pulley I can install on the 3.3..???

4. Thanks to all that can help...!!!! Frank
flmont
Is this tiny bracket a safe lift point ,.I need to get engine on the engine stand
914forme
yes it works fine.
flmont
WOW,..I would have never thought it could handle the weight,..Thank U,..!!

Any thought on my previous post about removing the EGR system..??
914forme
You use the rear hook spot, and I use a bolt up front to balance it all out.

You just block the EGR, with a steel plate, and a plug in the manifold if your using the stock exhaust manifolds. Since I did not keep the stock ECU, it might kick codes. Not sure confused24.gif
flmont
yes,.Iam using the stk manifolds,..and the stock ECU,..But I will be chipping the ECU to stop those codes,.
jimkelly
are you using 914 trans?
flmont
Yes,..On the trans,..jim
flmont
Are there any companies that make original color dye's for Porsche interior color's,Plus I cant get rid of the stains on this horn pad,.any Suggestion's Click to view attachment Thanks Frank
flmont
Trying to do the intake flip, not sure what stays and what goesClick to view attachment
I am guessing that U open the harness,.( more slack from harness)to reconnect ,connector's,..and then buy new generic hose to then refit them as needed,..Am I any where near correct ?? Thanks Frank
BIGKAT_83
Are there any companies that make original color dye's for Porsche interior color's,Plus I cant get rid of the stains on this horn pad,.any Suggestion's

Go to a auto paint store and get a couple of cans of SEM interior spray. They should have it in almost any color. These were black and have held up good for the last 15yrs.

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
QUOTE(flmont @ Jul 4 2017, 12:54 PM) *

Trying to do the intake flip, not sure what stays and what goesClick to view attachment
I am guessing that U open the harness,.( more slack from harness)to reconnect ,connector's,..and then buy new generic hose to then refit them as needed,..Am I any where near correct ?? Thanks Frank

You need to look at ThePaintedMans thread. He did a great job of explaining what he did.
flmont
Yea, I could not remember his name/
write up from my home computer, Thanks !!!!
AZ914
Regarding the steering wheel, you can hit that with some SEM dye too (like the seats).
flmont
Thanks for the Dye tips,..Bigkat and AZ914 I will do just that,.!!! WOW 15 yrs that's great,..
flmont
would it be safe to mount the Subaru ECU, next the the battery just like the original ECU or should I mount inside the cabin,..I didn't really want to drill a 2 in whole in the fire wall if I didn't need to ?? Thanks ,..Frank
Chris914n6
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 28 2017, 08:34 PM) *

would it be safe to mount the Subaru ECU, next the the battery just like the original ECU or should I mount inside the cabin,..I didn't really want to drill a 2 in whole in the fire wall if I didn't need to ?? Thanks ,..Frank

My ecu isn't water tight so I ran it to the trunk thru the targa latch cup and sealed that. Also provides plenty of space for a relay/fuse panel.
flmont
yea,..I kinda wanted to hide it a little better if possible,it's better than under the seat that's for sure !!
914forme
Subaru ECUs are mounted inside the cabin, not water tight. Drop it in the trunk, easiest. Or extend the harness and move it to the cabin.
Chris H.
agree.gif I'd put it in the trunk. You need a little protection but no need for it to be sealed water tight. If you extend the wires you have to use high quality stranded shielded wire for many of them. It makes for a very fat harness to pass through the firewall. The shielded wires for the cam and crank sensors are very sensitive. Any significant signal leakage will cause it to run poorly.
mgp4591
I'd think the harness is long enough to put in the cabin, possibly between the seats either on the floor or the back. Easy enough to cover with a shield and some sort of material or pad. That's what I'm planning...
flmont
Yea,..I don't really want to pull the interior out,.I will be working on it this weekend,..and I hope its not to hot,if I had 40 straight hours and cooler temps I could be very close to turning the key,barring complications of course driving.gif
flmont
Chris914n6,...why do I need the fuse panel,.Iwas expecting to wire it thru my chassis harness and use my existing fuse panel...??
Chris914n6
QUOTE(flmont @ Aug 29 2017, 07:04 PM) *

Chris914n6,...why do I need the fuse panel,.Iwas expecting to wire it thru my chassis harness and use my existing fuse panel...??

My Nissan will be a little different, but there will still be more fuses & relays involved.

8 relays total. ecu, ign, fuel pump, starter, ac comp, cruise, fan 1 & 2.
14 new fuses: ecu hot, ecu switched, coils, injectors, fuel pump, fans, etc...
This is beyond the chassis fuses & relays. This panel replaces the stock panel in the engine bay.

IPB Image
This is why I don't have a build thread, can't find a finished pic headbang.gif
mgp4591
40 plus yr. old wiring with those crappy fuses and no room for relays? Nope... not for me. Play with the wiring lengths that you have, see where you can go, and fit it as safely as you can. If you need to have it in an exposed area, install it in a box where it can be accessed quickly and that's fairly waterproof. Preferably up high would be best.
76-914
agree.gif Listen to these 2 guys. There both mechanics. You can't have too many fuses or grounds or relays. My Dakota Fan Controller instructions were quick to point out that the relays (switched & hot) could not share the same circuit or bouncing was likely. I experienced this once when I designed my own neutral safety switch. The computer went wild and so did the idle circuit. I didn't know why then but now I understand. This is what happens when a plumber ventures into the electrical world. av-943.gif
flmont
what is the best/easy way to pull the clutch assy. I am thinking about changing out that plastic panel that is on the back of this engine case to the metal one,.?? Thanks FrankClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.