Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gen light on tach not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello out there gang......driving home last night big red gen light went on and tachometer dropped to zero or so....other dash lights not working at all. Car seems to run fine.

Any ideas? Thank you!
TheCabinetmaker
Fuse#8 (or9) on the fuse box under the dash. Also check the small black wire on the coil. It should have a purple stripe. If that wire falls off the tach won't work
second wind
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 26 2016, 10:44 AM) *

Fuse#8 (or9) on the fuse box under the dash. Also check the small black wire on the coil. It should have a purple stripe. If that wire falls off the tach won't work

Wow....it worked!! Then blew the same fuse immediately....what do you think? Thank you very much!
TheCabinetmaker
You have a short. Don't have diagram just now to tell what else is on that circuit. Look for downloading diagram or do a search here or at Pelican. I know its been posted here at least a hundred times. Probably a short in the dash lights. Check the fuse block for loose or disconnected wires.
second wind
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 26 2016, 12:06 PM) *

You have a short. Don't have diagram just now to tell what else is on that circuit. Look for downloading diagram or do a search here or at Pelican. I know its been posted here at least a hundred times. Probably a short in the dash lights. Check the fuse block for loose or disconnected wires.

Well....I noticed my left headlight was not working....so I jiggled wires around the headlight and did a little touch up under the fuse box and wala....it all works again. Thank you so very much! Funny how my mind raced to a new alternator. Will have to keep eye on fuses and wires and such. Have a great day!
TheCabinetmaker
Well, you still have a short. You need to track what wire is causing the short and repair it or it will happen again. When it does, it might not blow the fuse but melt your wiring harness instead. How bout some pics of the area. These guys here have very good eyes
second wind
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 26 2016, 02:23 PM) *

Well, you still have a short. You need to track what wire is causing the short and repair it or it will happen again. When it does, it might not blow the fuse but melt your wiring harness instead. How bout some pics of the area. These guys here have very good eyes

I found one funky splice that did not have tape on it so I taped it up. The headlight clue is interesting as I recently put H4's in. I will post a pic when I get back in there.
Thank you again.
second wind
so i have localized the short to the fuel gauge combo and when I pull the gauge out the short disappears. in normal position blows #9 fuse. The "lights on" indicator light in combo gauge has troubled me before as it is very tempermental so when I disconnected it the number 7 fuse would blow but not consistently. This fuse has all of the console lights in it. These little lights are driving me nuts.

Any helpful comments? Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.