Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What options available
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
While replacing the heads on my 1.8, I had the 94mm pistons and cylinders replaced with 96mm

Is the 94mm set viable for reuse ? I would like to know, before putting them in the recycle bin.
stugray
the Stock 94 cyls are actually a better option for a 96 build than many of the brand new products out there.

They just have to be bored out to 96mm.
McMark
Pretty much everyone who might be looking for P&C will go the same route as you and get 96s. I saved stacks of pistons and cylinders and never used any of them.
VaccaRabite
I know a few years ago the advice was to rebore the stock cylinders if they were in good shape and all the cooling fins hadn't been busted off. Thats what I did with mine.

Zach
74ravenna
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 26 2016, 10:59 PM) *

While replacing the heads on my 1.8, I had the 94mm pistons and cylinders replaced with 96mm

Is the 94mm set viable for reuse ? I would like to know, before putting them in the recycle bin.

I don't want to hijack this thread but while I have my heads off I'd like to know, where did you go from here?

Are you still fuel injected or going to carbs?
Are you changing the cam?

Thanks
Steve
jim_hoyland
I don't want to hijack this thread but while I have my heads off I'd like to know, where did you go from here?

Are you still fuel injected or going to carbs?
Are you changing the cam?

Thanks
Steve
Fuel injected, same cam I had before. It may have been changed back when I had the engine reuilt 10 years ago, but I don't remember. There is a 2L crank though.

Ran good, I just had a spark plug blow out and strip the threads plus the valve guides were worn; the car smoked on decel and I had mild backfiring between shifts from 1st to 2nd.

Just didn't want to do too much; the next owner can ! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.