Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinders Stuck to Head
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewvolsen
When I pulled the heads off of a spare engine, three of the four cylinders stayed stuck to the head. I sprayed them with penetrating oil, waited a day, then beat on them with a hammer. Still stuck. Any ideas on how to get these unstuck confused24.gif
euro911
Shoot some more PB in there and let it sit for another day.

Then heat the head up around the tops of the barrels with a torch to expand the metal.

Don't beat on the barrels too much with that hammer, stick a chunk of wood (2x4 block) on the lower portion of the barrel and hit the wood instead. Barrel fins break pretty easily if you hammer on them.

Anybody else notice the picture 'jiggling'? I thought I was having a flashback moment smoke.gif
Dave_Darling
Any hammering you do, make sure it is completely parallel to the fins. And that the face of the hammer is completely perpendicular to them. That gives you the best chance of not breaking them.

Or just use a block of wood, as Mark suggested. Still probably a good idea to hit that parallel to the fins, though.

--DD
andrewvolsen
Thanks for the input. I'll soak it for another day or two, heat it, then hammer on it (with a block of wood between hammer and cylinder).
6freak
use a died blow mallet not a freak n ball penis or a framing hammer... like this little fella smash.gif
bretth
I think I did this once by holding the cylinder tightly with both hands (wearing gloves) with the head hanging down about an inch over something soft so the head wont get damaged when the head comes loose. Then have a helper put a block of wood through the bottom of cylinder up against the combustion chamber and gently tap around the inside to work it off with the help of gravity.

Brett
euro911
Hmmm idea.gif

Not a bad idea ...
stugray
QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 27 2016, 03:29 PM) *

use a died blow mallet not a freak n ball penis or a framing hammer... like this little fella smash.gif

WHATEVER you do, do NOT try to knock it loose with your penis
KELTY360
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 27 2016, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Sep 27 2016, 03:29 PM) *

WHATEVER you do, do NOT try to knock it loose with your penis

lol-2.gif

I don't really care if you try to knock it loose with your penis....but if you do, please, no pictures.
injunmort
i will get flamed for this, but here goes. take a piece of paper towel and stuff it into each cylinder. mix atf and acetone 50/50 in a cup. pour the mix on top of the paper towel. take outside a structure with a fire extinguisher. using a wick or stick lighter, light the paper towel, let it burn until it goes down. using a dead blow hammer and a wooden dowel, whack the head off through the cylinder.
theleschyouknow
hey admins, y'all watchin this?
between all the ball penis hammers and whacking the head off this might need to be moved to the sandbox...

op: pb blaster or the like is your friend & multiple applications followed by heat and a dead blow hammer with a wood block I like gravity is your friend approach too. good luck

beerchug.gif
cjl
porschetub
Heat , and a bit more heat,apply heat to the head with a good heatgun/butane torch ,you can use a penetrating spray also,you have a bond of rust at the top of the barrel once that is broken they will come apart.
Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.