Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JP3
I currently have a Beck body on my 914 and I am considering going with gt flares. My question is how wide of a flare would I have to go with to be a good fit for 265 wide rear tires?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Stock rear GT flares are made for a max. of 9" wheels.

I can get 10" slicks under there with absolutely *no* room to spare. You would need the perfect offset wheel for that (or custom spacers) but it's still not advisable for a street car since any bump will cause the tires to rub on the inside.

10" = 25.4cm = 255 tires

So a 265 is too wide for a stock rear flare ...

Now, you can get extra wide fiberglass GT flares that allow you to run up to 11" wheels. You can also modify the stock metal GT flares and widen them to anything you want.

At the end of the day, the wheel offset, wheel width and tire thread width all determine how much flare you actually need.
smile.gif
ndfrigi
maybe this kind of fg flares.

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
agree.gif with Andy. (Almost always) biggrin.gif I have stock width GT flares with 9 inch wide wheels, 255/40R/17 tires. With spacers I have about 1/4 inch space between the inside of the tire and the trailing arm. I can just get my finger tips between the out side of the tire and the rim of the fender.
Cracker
If you are not against a slight modification to the GT flares (which was mentioned) they can easily accommodate more tire. I run 275 with no issues. I've thought about making a similar mod to the front too - need more rubber.

Tony

A little massaging of a steel flare...kind of Cobra-esk.
Click to view attachment
Catorse
^ That looks AWESOME
phillstek
^^ agree.gif Wow.
mb911
Just curious is there width measurements when fitting flares like I see everywhere for 911s? Meaning from inside chassis to flare?
McMark
Widening steel GT flares. drooley.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 28 2016, 06:24 AM) *

Widening steel GT flares. drooley.gif

^Proper way to do it.....sorry, Crackers' added lip just doesn't do it....messes up the lines...
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 27 2016, 04:21 PM) *

agree.gif with Andy. (Almost always) biggrin.gif I have stock width GT flares with 9 inch wide wheels, 255/40R/17 tires. With spacers I have about 1/4 inch space between the inside of the tire and the trailing arm. I can just get my finger tips between the out side of the tire and the rim of the fender.

poke.gif We need to drop in an engine that is worthy of those tires. happy11.gif
Cracker
Certainly different strokes for different folks...don't apologize for a difference if opinion, I certainly don't. Cheers!

PS: Since I have a v8, proper isn't in my vocabulary. beer.gif

Tony

QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 28 2016, 10:25 AM) *

.....sorry, Crackers' added lip just doesn't do it for me (corrected)....messes up the lines...

The inspiration for my teener's "look" is another venerable beast (with a v8 too)! My Cobra. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
screenguy914
FWIW, the PO installed 911SC rear flares which allowed enough room for 8x15 Fuchs and 245-45-15 tires (NLA) and 7" in front.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Since then, 7 and 9's and 245-45-16.
Click to view attachment
Cracker
I really like those flares...reminds me of Foley's units!

Tony

QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Sep 28 2016, 12:55 PM) *

FWIW, the PO installed 911SC rear flares which allowed enough room for 8x15 Fuchs and 245-45-15 tires (NLA) and 7"
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 28 2016, 08:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 27 2016, 04:21 PM) *

poke.gif We need to drop in an engine that is worthy of those tires. happy11.gif

Be sure and let me know if you ever find one. You know... One that works? av-943.gif poke.gif
JP3
Thanks for the info and different options. I am looking at the 11" flares from Rennspd.com . I hope these will cover the 265's and if they are too wide I guess I can put wider tires on. biggrin.gif
Cracker
I can speak to that first hand...here is my first car, years ago, with the 11" rear flares. I ran 315 out back/275 up front (on 9" front flares, as I recall). JFYI: It would be a good idea to consider asking them to make them extra thick - as delivered to me, they were a little flimsy. I had about 24 man-hours in "fitting" them as you see it in the pic below.

PS: Warning: They are very large...if you have questions, PM me. beerchug.gif

Tony

QUOTE(JP3 @ Sep 28 2016, 04:35 PM) *

Thanks for the info and different options. I am looking at the 11" flares from Rennspd.com . I hope these will cover the 265's and if they are too wide I guess I can put wider tires on. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JP3
That looks a little to wide for me. If you fit 315 under the 11" flare then the 265's should be close on rennspeed 9" flares. Almost a 2" difference in tire width. I guess I will order just the backs first and try them instead of ordering backs, fronts and rockers all at once.
JP3
After looking at pictures of mine again , the tires don't seem to stick out enough to warrant the use of the 11" flares. I think I should be safe with the 9"Click to view attachment
Cracker
Sounds like a good plan...

Tony

QUOTE(JP3 @ Sep 28 2016, 05:11 PM) *

That looks a little to wide for me. If you fit 315 under the 11" flare then the 265's should be close on rennspeed 9" flares. Almost a 2" difference in tire width. I guess I will order just the backs first and try them instead of ordering backs, fronts and rockers all at once.

McMark
I have some fiberglass 9" flares we could test fit on your car, if you feel like driving over to the shop (Grand Rapids, MI). I'm here Sun-Thurs and there's still a few weeks before the snow starts. wink.gif

But I agree that is appears 9" flares will fit fine.
JP3
Thanks for the offer but I still have to get the Beck panels off first and I have not even looked at what that is going to take. I just hope that the brackets are still there for bumpers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.