Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear bumper question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Localboy808
Wondering what I'm missing here. Bought the car with no rubber bumper top. Got one locally. My question is what does the center bolt on the rubber top mount to? I've searched through so many pictures but haven't seen anything. Am I missing something on the bumper? And now I realize I have the wrong license plate lights. See the photos. This is what I'm dealing with.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
stugray
there is supposed to be a small metal tab sticking out directly under the lock button (from the overhang bit).
If you look closely you will likely find evidence of it being broken off.

Right above where that patch appears to be welded on
colingreene
Unless you have a Model year 75 or 75 car.
Localboy808
This is a 72. Hmm. I know there was some work to the rear panel. Anyone have a picture of that tab? So it must stick out between the rubber pad and bumper? Anyone parting out a car and willing to sell a repair piece?
ndfrigi
iClick to view attachment
Localboy808
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 28 2016, 12:14 AM) *

Thank you! A little blurry when zoomed in but looks like a simple little tab. Maybe I can fabricate it. welder.gif
Perry Kiehl Clone
Late model tail panel on your car.
Localboy808
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Sep 28 2016, 07:42 AM) *

Late model tail panel on your car.

That make sense. It was tapped back there at some point. I've never figured out what the access hole is for on the drivers side of the bumper. What is that bracket with threaded hole behind it for ?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Sep 28 2016, 07:10 AM) *

What is that bracket with threaded hole behind it for ?

It is to insert a thread tow hook/loop.

Click to view attachment
Localboy808
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Sep 28 2016, 08:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Sep 28 2016, 07:10 AM) *

What is that bracket with threaded hole behind it for ?

It is to insert a thread tow hook/loop.

Click to view attachment

Ahhhh! Thank you! Sweet! Still learning about this car!
ndfrigi
closer look from my 74 roller.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 28 2016, 11:54 AM) *

Bingo
Localboy808
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 28 2016, 10:54 AM) *

Ahhh! Perfect! Thanks! Guess I need to put out a WTB ad! Unless you want to sell that piece? Are you parting out that roller?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Sep 28 2016, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 28 2016, 10:54 AM) *

Ahhh! Perfect! Thanks! Guess I need to put out a WTB ad! Unless you want to sell that piece? Are you parting out that roller?

Sorry, i will be using it when backdating my 75 bumper.
AZ914
Localboy,
I have a backdated car with the -74 bumper and do not have the center bracket. No problems here.

Also, those plate lights are custom. The stock ones are supposed to be mounted up inside the bumper top recesses.
Localboy808
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Sep 28 2016, 02:22 PM) *

Localboy,
I have a backdated car with the -74 bumper and do not have the center bracket. No problems here.

Also, those plate lights are custom. The stock ones are supposed to be mounted up inside the bumper top recesses.

Yup. Figured that out about the license plate lights. What about that center bolt? Doesn't it look odd hanging there? I guess mines a bit noticeable because it's got a little twist to it out and back. Bolted down would correct that.
bandjoey
Bumper top center welder.gif support. Should be easy to cut a piece of metal and weld it in.
zambezi
It could even be bolted in
Localboy808
Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. Just fab one up. I'll see if I can source an original first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.