Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My next 914 project !?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClaussStudios
Now that I have got the lenses taken care of for the most part Thinking about the next 914 item I will tackle. I look for items made of plastic or rubber the smaller the better I cannot handle large items like the bumper rubber (at the moment). And way too expensive. So when I start making them and sell them for 1/2 the price I get some interest and can recoup my costs fairly quickly. I was thinking of the plastic crome front foglight grills or the plastic speaker grills,,,What do ya think any other nla items in big demand?
Greg
StratPlayer
Reproduce those rubber holders in the trunk that hold the targa roof in place, the ones on each side at the rear of the trunk.
Jenny
Yes, those targa brackets are always cracked. Almost every non-CW car I see has one gimpy one. Plastic chrome foglight grills would be great. They're hard to come by. As are speaker grills.

Jen
rhodyguy
the plastic covers on the headlight motors. the rubber straps that hold the stock jack, with the correct ribbing

kevin
seanery
Wasn't someone looking for a certain knob that was NLA?
Darker colored knobs would be nice IMHO.

The fog knob glows a bit too bright and the reflection is distracting in the windshield.
A dark blue would be nice.
914werke
How about this, not a stock Item but necessary one (i think) nonetheless: the engine lid grate has a rain tray to catch water and diverts to a funnel/tube araingement on either side of the eng. bay.
NOT that tray.. but the small grates on either side, especially the one over the battery, are open to the elements!
If a piece could be fabbed to catch and run water to that same funnel we'd all have a lot less rust, needles, dirt ect.
I'd be a tight fit just over the hinges but do-able.
I started screwing around with this by cutting up the early style center tray and plastic-welding it but never got it to my liking.

What do you think. Small Cheap. USEFULL!
Qarl
Not, small, plastic or rubber... but find someone to remake the sun visors....

Regards
Bleyseng
Sun visors or dashes. Those targa holders are around new for pretty cheap. maybe if you made them out of better rubber so they didn't break the second time you used them would be cool.

Chrome plastic parts:
Fog grills
Letters-PORSCHE
914, 914/6

not rubber or plastic but the alignment shims! in 1,2,3,4mm thicknesses.

Geoff
seanery
You'd make a million if you redid the visors.

I think just about everyone would buy a set if the price was right.
ClaussStudios
Now the question is ,,,Would anyone be interested in sending me a Mint pair of front fog light grills for reproduction
they need to be perfect no scratches cracks pits ,,A mold is taken from an original so what you start with is what you end up with.. It would be a 1 month loan and will not hurt your original.... you can be the first to have a new minty pair or I could compensate you with lenses i make if ya need some beerchug.gif .
Bleyseng
I can loan you a set of NOS ones as soon as I get them. I also have a set of prefect speaker grills sitting on the shelf.

Geoff
GWN7
When you can do bumper tops, I'd be interested in a couple sets.
boxstr
I have a set of front foglight grilles, new from the dealer. They run about $96.00 each. So that gives you a price point to shoot for.
Where are they to be sent?
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
PS Maybe some 916 clear body remote control cars??
meursault
Here's an idea:

Make speaker grills that can accomodate speakers with decent-sized magnets or 5 x 7 speakers.

Make foglight grills with cutouts for more modern fog/driving lights that you can sell with the grills as a package deal.

And somebody needs to make the various rubber pieces for the type 4 motors. Intake boots, vacuum hose elbows, oil pressure/ head temp sensor surrounds, etc., etc.
Demick
As far as the fog light grills go, remember that you can buy new primered ones for around $35 each. The silver plating on the grills is what adds the $$.

So currently, anyone can go buy a pair of grills, and paint them with shiny silver paint themselves for about $75/pair. So if the idea here is to mold new ones that you would paint silver (as opposed to plating), you need to be able to sell them for roughly half that if you want to sell a bunch.

Demick
'74 2.0
Demick
As for the rear trunk targa rubber latches, those run $17 each. And for some reason, they did not design them symmetrically, so there is a left and a right. Seems like they should easily be able to be redesigned so that a single part can be used on either side, and sell them for $17 for the pair.

Demick
'74 2.0
Aaron Cox
this would be so, if the targa was flat, but the top has a graceful curve on the back edge, thus needing R, L side parts wink.gif
ClaussStudios
oh so the fog grills are available new?
They woud be simple to make and Plastic plating is not a problem they would have a real nice crome finish on them.
Demick
Yeah, I understand that, but I think with a little ingenuity a universal part could be done. Not like it's a real exact fit anyway. Heck, I'll design it if someone will reproduce it.

Demick
Aaron Cox
yeah i see what you mean...i need a pair anyway? Hey clauss, whats porsche/hella say about your new lenses?
Qarl
I have a set of brand new plastic fogligh grills from Germany. No chrome, no primer. Just plain plastic. If you're intereted in using them, let me know ASAP. I will need them back in 30 days.

Regards,

Karl
JWest
I like the speaker grill idea. My suggestion is to make the outside look like stock and to modify the inside with some sort of universal mounting pads for the speakers.
JWest
How about chromed plastic Pedrini/Mahle/Fuchs wheel center caps that look just like the always dented metal originals (but with no dents)?

Relay board cover? I've seen them listed new, but maybe you can reinforce them so they don't crack?
Ferg
How about a Saratoga top style clear targa top? I know it would be a big project and that's not what you want right now, but maybe sometime in the future. Or maybe amber or other colors plastic fog light lenses?? Just throwin out ideas driving.gif
Targa
QUOTE(James Adams @ Jun 24 2003, 08:08 AM)
I like the speaker grill idea. My suggestion is to make the outside look like stock and to modify the inside with some sort of universal mounting pads for the speakers.

That would be perfect. I bought some new Kenwood 5x7's thinking that they would just "bolt right in" to the speaker grill. Though we all know that it just does not happen that way with the 914. It seems that the problem is that a 5x7 of today's measurements is a lot bigger than the 5x7's that came in the car(on the outside of the speaker). Well my solution was to use two stock mounting holes to secure the speaker to the grill. But for the speaker to fit in that location I had to cut a section out of the top of the box so that some of the speaker housing would stick out. Not the cleanest mod(though you would never see it), but one that has worked well! IMHO speakers mounted in the door plain suck, while the location of the speaker boxes is Perfect!
kafermeister
QUOTE(Targa @ Jun 24 2003, 01:27 PM)
It seems that the problem is that a 5x7 of today's measurements is a lot bigger than the 5x7's that came in the car(on the outside of the speaker).

mellow.gif I thought the original speakers were 4x6.
Targa
I could be wrong. But I do believe that I pulled out a 5x7. Also, when I ordered these from crutchfield they had the 914 listed as having 5x7's. blink.gif
Dave_Darling
I think the fuse box covers would be good. They were NLA for a while; not sure if they still are or not. If so....

I also like the center cap idea!

Here's one more for ya: Non-foglight grilles. The ones that just have the "slats" all the way across. I think those are NLA.

--DD
jfort
I agree with the sun visors. Used to have the same problem with old 911's. I can't believe someone doesn't make them. They'd make a fortune.
URY914
What about a replacement shift knob. Mine is cracked around the bottom at the opening. (it is about the only original, untouched part I have in the interior of my car)
Can you still buy them?
Make them stock or all black.

Paul
kafermeister
QUOTE(Targa @ Jun 24 2003, 01:51 PM)
I could be wrong. But I do believe that I pulled out a 5x7. Also, when I ordered these from crutchfield they had the 914 listed as having 5x7's. blink.gif

You're probably right. I haven't measured them in quite a long time. huh.gif
ClaussStudios
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jun 24 2003, 07:25 AM)
yeah i see what you mean...i need a pair anyway? Hey clauss, whats porsche/hella say about your new lenses?

I dont think they could have much to say, they are not exact copies of their lenses, They are my design and numerous things are changed they just happen to fit in their housings ! boldblue.gif
914guy
Front targa top seal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.