Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decal removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pugbug
I would like to remove the Porsche decals from above the rocker panels without damaging the paint.
Does anyone know how I can?
Jeroen
use a hairdryer to melt the adhesive
ArtechnikA
if you're lucky and they haven't been on 30 years, heat is essential. start with hir dryer, move up to carefully used industrial heat gun.

there are adhesive-removers, such as GooGone. Griot's has one, and i'm sure 3M has several available at automotive paint suppliers.

i wound up using MEK which is a very harsh chemical and must be used only with very good gloves and lots of ventilation. but MEK is very effective against adhesives. there are *still* traces of it despite very aggressive removal attempts, and i expect i'll be taking off some of it with a body grinder...
Joe Bob
Heat an edge and peel....
jr91472
I did this this last summer.

Go to an auto paint supply house and ask for a pin stripe remover. It is a rubber wheel that attaches to your drill. Acts like an eraser.

Kinda slow work, but effective. If you have one, use a drill that plugs in vs cordless because you will spend more time re-charging that working.

Once done, apply a scratch removal polish like Maquairs, etc. to buff out. Depending on how long the decal has been on, you will probably have some "sun fade" on the rest of the paint compared to where the decal was. I did on mine, but you have to work pretty hard to see it.

good luck
skline
Do not however, use MEK and heat at the same time, that could bring undesireable results.
Pugbug
Thanks Guys!
This forum is great.....seems to be always someone with a solution....... even at 6:00 AM type.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.