Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking advice on 2056 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RohJay
I'm looking to upgrade my "EC" code 1.8 to 2056, whilst retaining the stock L-jet FI.

I have done some research here and am contemplating the following components.

1. Cylinders : to re-bore a set of 93mm cylinders to 96mm
2. Pistons : 96mm KB Piston set
3. Crankshaft : 71mm from the 2.0
4. Connecting Rod : Matched set of 5.160" from the 2.0
5. Camshaft : leaning towards Webcam 73 ...

Appreciate if I can have some feedback on the above configuration and also the specific questions below

1. Cylinders - Will be re-bored locally. Any pitfalls when doing this ?

2. Pistons - Looking at KB 96mm 2.0 piston set from EMW. Please confirm if the 24mm pin is correct for the stock 2.0 Con Rod.

3. Crankshaft and Connecting Rods - I am assuming a USED 2.0 Crankshaft and Con Rods with correct bearings will suffice. Anything to look into when sourcing these parts used?

4.Camshaft - I am aware of the gold standard Raby 9590 kit from Type4store, but what else is available at lower cost? Such as Webcam 73 or other option from Elgin that will work with 2056 and L-jet?

Thanks in advance...
McMark
QUOTE(RohJay @ Sep 29 2016, 04:17 AM) *
1. Cylinders - Will be re-bored locally. Any pitfalls when doing this ?
They need to be torqued to factory spec while boring. If the shop doesn't have/make a torque plate it'll be wrong. Depending on quality of work where you are you make prefer to just buy aftermarket cylinders. There are hundreds of engines running aftermarket cylinders that are working just fine.

2. Pistons - Looking at KB 96mm 2.0 piston set from EMW. Please confirm if the 24mm pin is correct for the stock 2.0 Con Rod.
24mm is correct. I'm not a fan of KB pistons. I've heard of a fair number breaking apart, presumably from pinging/detonation. I think the JE is worth the peace of mind. They're not much more.

3. Crankshaft and Connecting Rods - I am assuming a USED 2.0 Crankshaft and Con Rods with correct bearings will suffice. Anything to look into when sourcing these parts used?
These are fine. You can use the bus 2.0 components as well (they're the same).

4.Camshaft - I am aware of the gold standard Raby 9590 kit from Type4store, but what else is available at lower cost? Such as Webcam 73 or other option from Elgin that will work with 2056 and L-jet?
73 should work. Low overlap so you won't get as much reversion in the intake.
RohJay
Thanks so much Mark; I'm a lot more confident now.

As I begin to source the components, I have a question about the Sealing / Spacer Ring between Cylinder and Head. Item No. 3 in the following illustration:

Click to view attachment

Standard sizes are 93x104 for 1.8 and 94x105 for 2.0.

When 96mm Piston/Cylinders are used, Is the size of these rings dictated by the Piston/Cylinder diameter (in this case 96mm) or the type of Head being used ( 1.8 in this case) ?

Also I gather the thickness on the spacer ring plays a part in Compression Ratio?
Any rough idea what thickness is required for 8.1:1?

bdstone914
The compression ratio needs to be calculated based on the cylinder head volume, deck height, bore and stroke.
Valy
Heads are the key component.
You're engine will run just as good with the AA cylinders&pistons. Before spending any buck on your old cylinders, check that all the fins are straight and not broken.
I recommend to add 5 degrees on exhaust on that webcam 73. It helps with cooling.
L-JET will work fine.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(RohJay @ Sep 30 2016, 10:51 AM) *

As I begin to source the components, I have a question about the Sealing / Spacer Ring between Cylinder and Head. ....
When 96mm Piston/Cylinders are used, Is the size of these rings dictated by the Piston/Cylinder diameter (in this case 96mm) or the type of Head being used ( 1.8 in this case) ?

The area in the head where the cylinder sits (the "register") should be the same for 1.8 and 2.0 heads, 105mm. So you could use either a 2.0 or a 1.8 head gasket.

Or none at all; there is a strong contingent who contend that head gaskets should not be used, and that the cylinders should be lapped to the head registers instead.

Also I gather the thickness on the spacer ring plays a part in Compression Ratio?
Any rough idea what thickness is required for 8.1:1?

The spacer definitely plays a part in the compression ratio. But the heads, the top of the pistons, the deck height of the pistons (distance of the top below the top of the cylinder), and so on also have a pretty big effect. You will have to measure to figure out what you have, and do the math.

--DD
McMark
I've never used a head gasket.
Rob-O
May want to PM Clay Perrine. I think he just did this exercise on his wife, Betty's car. 1.8 to 2056 keeping the L-Jet. I believe he bumped up the bore on the throttle body by 15mm. Or maybe now it's 115mm, something like that. The motor has nice torque, though, I can tell you that.
RohJay
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Oct 1 2016, 09:49 AM) *

May want to PM Clay Perrine. I think he just did this exercise on his wife, Betty's car. 1.8 to 2056 keeping the L-Jet. I believe he bumped up the bore on the throttle body by 15mm. Or maybe now it's 115mm, something like that. The motor has nice torque, though, I can tell you that.

I've read that '86 to '91 Vanagon TB can be used to take advantage of its 50mm bore, which is 5mm greater than stock 914 L-jet.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=vanagon

But thanks, I will follow up with Clay.
Rob-O
I think that's exactly what Clay did.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.